Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #41
pugmom
Registered Users

Re: Yeast Diaper Rash that won't go away? - UPDATE with Pics, is it really yeast??? H

I agree on the allergy thing. DS had a slightly less severe version of that.

We went through nystatin cream, nystatin cream with steroid (do not do that!)

We did get a perscription for nystatin powder, which actually helped IMO it kept things dry and prevented yeast from taking over and making it worse.

Good luck - this brings back bad memories!

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #42
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yeast Diaper Rash that won't go away? - UPDATE with Pics, is it really yeast??? H

I hope it goes away quick. Hang in there, mama, you're doing a good job, sometimes it takes a while to find the right cure.

Do you have an abundance of breastmilk? Hyperlaction can cause a rash like that from the baby only getting the lowfat formilk and not enough of the fatty hind milk, which causes lots of watery poop that irritates the area around the anus. If this sounds right, nurse on one side for a few nursing sessions before switching sides to empty the breast of the fatty hind milk that will stay in baby's body longer, or pump to empty the breast more.

I'd stop eating soy, wheat, and citris, cut out sugar, and see if that helps.

ALoe Vera is antibacterial and antiviral and will protect, soothe, and speed healing. Put it on as much as possible! Also, Calendula and diaper rash cream with zinc will protect it too (burt's bees rash cream is good).

A simple diet, fresh air, and sunshine can work wonders! Good luck, mama!
Old 06-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #43
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

Re: Yeast Diaper Rash that won't go away? - UPDATE with Pics, is it really yeast??? Help!

I can't help to much the only rash audrianna ever gets is heat riash or if shes fighting any viral infections she will get a rash all over her body.

I do agree with the pp if its a dairy allergy eliminate all dairy if your nursing if your not nursing prosobee formula its a soy formula thats what my dd was on shes lactose intolerant
Audriannasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #44
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Re: Yeast Diaper Rash that won't go away? - UPDATE with Pics, is it really yeast??? Help!

I've been dairy-free since he was born b/c of a family history of food allergies, so i don't think that's it (i just started having dairy again a week ago and it's just yogurt once a day to boost my acidopholus).

I have a strong milk supply and have been doing 'block feedings' for a month and a half (i usually go 2-3 hours per side before switching so i know he's getting hind milk--i can see it on his mouth towards the last feeding session on the breast).

I am hoping that the food allergy testing in a week and a half will tell us more specifically what to avoid, i am exclusively nursing.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #45
lararum
Banned

here's another suggestion, I'm sure you're getting tired of these
You can get non-dairy acidophilus powder at the health food store, it needs to be refrigerated. That way there is no dairy. Can you cut out wheat for a week, and see if that helps? My sil had issues with her dd and wheat, so she had to cut it out for a while.
lararum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #46
massage mama
Registered Users

Just a word of caution on the allergy test because I too thought it would be the answer to our many questions too but it was a dead end for us.
So I have been asking a lot of questions in the last 2 weeks since our DS had been allergy tested for wheat, soy ,egg ,dairy ,dust , and one other I can't remember but they were all negative so the Doc said no allergy to wheat. So for 4 months we cut out wheat and his skin was marvelous. So I asked well I really think it is wheat so Doc says you have to cut out the product 3 seperate times and reintroduce it and to find out. So I say I have done that he had no answers after that. So we left and Dh wanted to reintoduce wheat again because Doc said no allergy to wheat well guess what his skin after 1 week of eating wheat is broken out in his skin folds and all over his bottom and penis and behind his right ear which always happens after every reintroduction of wheat.
So I started asking people I know with allergies questions. And one person who I know that has a very sensitive immune system with many environmental allergies and many years of being poked and proded by medical professionals, thus he has many years of self research and discoveries. Well he told me it is very hard to rule food allergies with the skin testing that allergists do because they are only testing for Immunoglobulin E which is a specific allergy response. but there are many allergy responses besides Immunoglobulin E. And food allergies are very rarely this immunoglobulin E response (unlike peanuts or shellfish as a specific example).
But something else another health professional told me was that the food is irritating his intestine and therefore causing an internal chemistry that causes the skin erruptions he can touch wheat and not have a reaction to it. it is when it is in a specific environment his stomach and intestine that causes the negative reaction causing smelly and light colored mushy poos and skin erruption or excemza patches. Which is obvious to me as his mommy to be an allergic reaction.
So in order for us to keep his skin marvelous we have to keep him from eating foods that his intestines react to and therefore we are not going to follow the advice of the allergist and we are not reintroducing wheat at this time in hopes that some day he will outgrow the wheat/gluten reaction. heres hoping.
Good luck to you.
T

Last edited by massage mama; 06-08-2006 at 08:33 PM.
massage mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #47
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the advice re: allergy testing. We are not going the traditional 'skin prick' test route b/c that is so innaccurate in infants/young children. We're doing MSA testing which is alternative medicine and what his ped recommends. Hopefully it will give more conclusive answers than a traditional allergist would.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #48
massage mama
Registered Users

Our ped did not offer this MSA testing just that the traditional allergy testing had to wait until after he was 12 months (he is now 16 months).
Tell me more about this other kind of testing you are doing?
T
massage mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #49
Gloria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When either one of my kids got the "slightest" hint of a rash, we used some stuff called RESINOL and I think it works wonders!! We had a friend who's daughter had a terrible rash from a milk allergy...her bum was cracked and bleeding....it was really sad. We let her use it and it was cleared up within a week. You can get it at pharmacy's...although i have a tiny bottle I bought 4 years ago and havent needed anymore so Im not posititve it's still around. HTH!!
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:35 AM   #50
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

NAK.

http://www.all-well.net/msa.htm
http://www.longwoodpreventive.com/allergy.html