Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Acne during pregnancy?

I don't have the best skin to begin with, but it's manageable most of the time. However when pregnant it tends to break out YUCK. I generally use a bit of benzoyl peroxide wash once a day, I am still using it on and off but i am 5 weeks preggo... how do people feel about using it during pregnancy? I know that technically it says not to, what do you think?

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Acne during pregnancy?

I hear ya on the break outs. It seems that nothing I do the first 30ish weeks helps me in any way. The hormones are amped up and out of control! lol Then at about 30 weeks my face clears up. Last time it was crystal clear (hasn't been that way since I was 10 ). This time it's been pretty good, but not as drastically better as last time. I've tried everything you can think of (even crazy prescriptions) and nothing has ever helped. I've given in to it being who I am and just keep my face as clean and oil free as I can, so it's not any worse than it needs to be. Anywho....long story short; no I wouldn't use it. But I've never found that it helped anyways.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I was told not to use it. I used tea tree oil, but my doc said not to use anything.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
leviandgarettsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a licensed aesthetician & having just went through the same thing last year, I did LOTS of research on what acne fighting agents are safe & which are not. I'm a big fan of the tea tree oil, though it stinks, but only for a few minutes. Most washes are going to be safe as they aren't on the skin long enough to absorb much...it's the leave on creams that you want to steer clear of. I personally used a low level glycolic wash. The only one I wouldn't use is one w/salicylic acid. Treat w/tea tree oil after washing or even swab w/some hydrogen peroxide-but just on the breakout as it can be drying to the skin. Follow w/an oil free moisturizer, cause your skin needs the hydration but you don't want to add to your breakout.

My #1 recommendation for fighting acne or any facial skin concern is the Clarisonic. Yes it's pricey @ about $200, but they are worth the results in gold & skinstore.com has a 20% off code sometime during the month every month + free shipping!

But no matter what advice you get from me or any other well-meaning, helpful mama...double check these recommendations w/your OB!
HTH

Last edited by leviandgarettsmom; 03-11-2011 at 07:40 AM.
leviandgarettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think that you'r probably fine with over the counter benzol peroxide stuff. How much are you really going to injest/absorb into your blood stream?

stay away from anything with vitamin A (retinols like retin-A).
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah my doctor told me to use nothing. I even asked if there was anything OTC that would be OK and he just said "pregnancy is short term you'll get past it". Super helpful when my back was a bloody mess and it hurt to wear a bra.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

My naturopath basically said TS!! Since the breakouts were mostly enhanced by pregnancy, they're hormonal, and no matter how much money you spend, they'll still make themselves known.

She suggested I cut down on dairy... but now with my heartburn, I've upped the dairy again... ugh. Can't win!

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
chippybug10
Registered Users

I don't feel comfortable using any of the harsher acne fighting chemicals on my skin during pregnancy. I just deal with the pimples