Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
PinkSapphire87
Registered Users
seller

Anyone want to read over my birth plan?

I'm looking for some advice on our birth plan, I tried to keep it concise and effective. I know that no one wants to sit down and read a three page document. The actual birth plan is about 3/4 of a page printed not including the newborn care plan (about 1 page with newborn care attached). I wanted something that was easy to read and that would actually be read. I used this website as a guide to forming our plan. Any critiques/advice/opinions? Thanks in advance!

We realize that our birth plan is neither a contract nor a guarantee of an uncomplicated labor.

Labor:

I would prefer to keep vaginal exams to a minimum.

I do not wish to have an IV or heparin/saline lock at any time during labor.

Monitoring

I do not want continuous fetal monitoring unless required by the condition of my baby, and then I prefer monitoring through a telemetry unit.

First preference for monitoring is Doppler, second preference is telemetry unit.

Labor Augmentation and Induction

I do not wish to have amniotic membrane ruptured artificially.

I do not wish to be put on time restraints regarding length of my labor as long as labor is progressing and baby is well.

Anesthesia

I do not wish to have any kind of anesthesia offered or administered to me during labor, only if I specifically request it.

Delivery

I would like to choose my own position for delivery.

I do not want coached pushing, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning pushing.

I would like to breathe my baby out unless the urge to push is overwhelming.

I would like to avoid perineal damage, but I prefer to tear on my own.

I would like to have baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

After Delivery

I do not want my placenta removed by force, but allowed to deliver spontaneously on its own.

I would like my husband to cut the cord after it has stopped pulsating.

Newborn Care Plan

I want my baby to room in with me at all times and provide her care.

If my baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband will accompany baby at all times.

I do not want my baby to have blood drawn, eye medication used, or any other neonatal procedure done without my approval.

I would like to breastfeed my baby on demand from birth.

I do not want my baby to be given any artificial nipples, no bottles or pacifiers.

I do not want eye antibiotics or Vitamin K administered to my baby.

Advertisement

Breastfeeding, babywearing, fully vaxing, attachment parenting, still in school, forever studying, and burning the candle at both ends but loving life and enjoying my girls!
PinkSapphire87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
misidawnrn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone want to read over my birth plan?

looks good. My recommendation is to stay home as long as you can. The sooner you get to the hospital, the more you are put on a clock and the more interventions you will be subjected to. You can put it in writing that you don't want to be on a clock but reality is you will be, unfortunately. Good luck!
misidawnrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
PinkSapphire87
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone want to read over my birth plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misidawnrn View Post
looks good. My recommendation is to stay home as long as you can. The sooner you get to the hospital, the more you are put on a clock and the more interventions you will be subjected to. You can put it in writing that you don't want to be on a clock but reality is you will be, unfortunately. Good luck!
Yep, that is my plan to stay home for as long as possible. I don't want to wait too long and almost have a car baby, but I'm also afraid of feeling like I've waited long enough and only going in at 4 cm. So trying to figure out when to go in will be the biggest issue.

Breastfeeding, babywearing, fully vaxing, attachment parenting, still in school, forever studying, and burning the candle at both ends but loving life and enjoying my girls!
PinkSapphire87 is offline   Reply With Quote