Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ergo question

Ok I have an ergo. I also have a BBII. I haven't figured out how to wear the Ergo with my 7mo. it doesn't have the infant insert. it says you need it until about 6 months. but when I put him in the carrier (on the couch) it just doesn't seem like it will work. it seems like he will fall out the side.

we bought the Ergo so that DH woudl carry DD... but that hasn't happened yet...
so we have 2 carriers and I'd like to sell one! but keeping the Ergo woudl be great because it is the only thing that actually fits DH.

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
foxynursejo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ergo question

Maybe I'm not quite understanding the problem? I've also never used a carrier w/ an insert, so I might not be any help. Are you trying to do a front or a back carry? For a front carry, buckle the ergo around your waist, put baby on your front (their tummy against yours) put the straps on, reach behind your neck and buckle the chest clip. Maybe someone else can be of more help?

I've donated 1,000 oz of mamas milk!

Babie's are weaned (32 months!), potty trained and I'm not BWing much anymore, but I still occasionally hang around here.
foxynursejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess i was thinking mor of a back carry. with th BB II it is really easy. i stick baby in the pocket part - he's backed up against couch pillows - and i sit in the couch & slide the straps so he is on my back -
i can't do this with the Ergo - i't more like a Mei Tai it seems - the waist straps go under the legs, right? and the shoulder straps hold above his shoulders - what is there to hold his waist? maybe i need to check out a you tube video!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DEFINITELY check out the YouTube videos--it's important that BOTH of you have a complete understanding of how your chosen carrier works to avoid injury.

For an Ergo back carry, you might be able to do it somewhat similar to the BB2. Put the carrier on around your waist with the panel hanging down the back. Sit on the couch with your LO next to you. Make sure that the Ergo panel is behind you (so that you're not sitting on it). Set your LO on it and then pull up one strap, then another. His feet should be below the straps but above the waistbelt. The other way you can do it is do the same thing, but put one strap over your shoulder and then just slide his leg underneath it on that side, then put the other strap on.

Videos are definitely more help, tho.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
saramomma
Registered Users

Hi there! I am new on diaper swappers, but on thebabywearer.com all the time. I have an ergo, have used it with both my kids from birth on. I have an infant insert and used it only when my babies were really small like 10 lbs.You definately don't need the infant insert at 7 months unless baby is really tiny. Especially it sounds as if you are wearing on the back? You do not use the insert on your back. I only use the insert when it feels like the baby is too low in the carrier and not enough support...this is in the newborn, can't hold up it's head stage.
saramomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
saramomma
Registered Users

I suggest you watch a buch of youtube vids on back cary ergo as pp mentioned; there are a few different ways to get baby on back. I like to use a hip scoot method. When I was learning, I had my DH spot us until I was confident.

Enjoy BWing!
saramomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
paxbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you watch a few, Jen? Let us know if you need more help! You know us BWers love to help you find the LOVE

HELP? Rent a carrier or 2 @ PAXbaby's Sling Exchange *happy babywearing*
paxbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
calind115
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this is a great video i found. I didn't think to do it this way but it works wonders!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
DragonflyB
Registered Users

Is your baby on the extremely small side? Ergo is not my complete fave (I'm a wrap girl), but I just don't see how he would be so small that he might fall out of the side. Starting with front positions first, and then practice back carries is the easiest way to go. Like pps said, there are lots of videos up. You get used to back carries after the first few times and just know how to put the kid in there without using a couch or anything.
DragonflyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calind115 View Post
this is a great video i found. I didn't think to do it this way but it works wonders!
That's pretty much excatly what I do--thanks for posting that so that I don't have to make my own video!

Actually, I probably should. I use a slightly different technique--I lower DD down into the carrier like I'm putting her on my shoulders and then keep going. Same basic idea, though. I never liked the hip scoot because DD was always trying to throw herself on the floor.