Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Pacifier and Nursing Question

So, I need some opinions here. Here is how my DS nurses at 3.5 weeks old:
- Nurses often and on demand, has a good latch, seems to love it
- Lots of gulping and sometimes choking (I think I have a fast flow and more milk than he can handle, although not such a fast flow that it sprays if I break our latch)
- He's gaining weight really well
- He spits up OFTEN (although not projectile spit up, just plain ole spit up) and seems to have painful gas often as well.
- To help my oversupply problems I'm nursing just on one side for a few feedings (or at least a few hours, whichever comes first). I feel this has helped in the last week or so.

I know spitting up is common and so is gas, but sometimes it seems like a lot of the "extra" feedings that he wants seem to just be him wanting to suck or needing comfort, not more milk. I sometimes feel like he's getting over-full and that's why he's spitting up so much. I'm tempted to try a pacifier for those times where he's just eaten a large meal but still wants to nurse (in hopes of easing the gas and spit up problems). I'm SOOOO conflicted though! I want BF to go well for us (and so far I feel it has) in the future and I don't want to ruin things with a pacifier. BUT at the same time, I know many people who use pacifiers for their children and nurse just fine. So, i'm not sure what to do. I don't mind using myself as a human pacifier, but if it will help his poor little tummy to not get so overfull, then maybe a pacifier would be ok?

One part of me wants to try and "figure this out" and another part of me wants to leave well-enough alone and just do lots of laundry and put up with a lot of fussing. Ideas?

Sarah- and so in love with my awesome family!
theredheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Pacifier and Nursing Question

I would say try a pacifier and if there is any sign that it will affect your bf relationship to cut it out right away.
Like if he prefers the paci to your nipple or if he doesn't seem to want to nurse as often as you think he should.

I started out using one of the Soothie pacifiers that the hospital gives and had to change to a Nuk because he just didn't seem to like the Soothie. His latch changed drastically though when I switched him to the Nuk. We got if all figured out though.

I would just be really wary of any issues in the beginning and be ready to chuck them out the window if it seems to threaten his nursing.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Registered Users

We started using a paci, occasionally, between 2-3 weeks. I had planned to wait til 6, but he loved the boob and disliked the paci, so I didnt worry about nipple confusion
TNmommaTo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Pacifiers aren't a guaranteed "make-or-break" for your breastfeeding relationship. I say give it a try.
Nicole, mom behind Napping House Yarns, wife to C - mother to Grace and Isaiah
Expecting a sweet little BOY on September 17th, 2012

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
Remember, your baby doesn't think of you as a pacifier. You are a source of comfort and a source of food, and your baby still links those two concepts. Introducing a paci isn't the end of the world, but the time during which all your baby wants to do is snuggle and nurse is so short! You could try using a sling or other carrier to let baby comfort nurse while you get things done. Just being close to you more may decrease the need to nurse, too.
Wife to my best friend , SAHM to DD1 (4/15/10) and DD2 (5/16/13)
Leiiki is offline   Reply With Quote