Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
yellowrose28
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do I make Chicken Stock?!

OK, so since I have been making so much from scratch lately, I think it is time to stop buying the store chicken stock/broth! But there are so many recipes out there when I search! I am hoping that some of you have some tried and true ones for me!
THANKS!!

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I make Chicken Stock?!

I save all of my veggie peels and tops. Then, when I have a whole chicken, I do whatever with it. I cover the carcas with water (a lot) then put in some apple cider vinegar. Let it sit like 30 min- 1 hour. Then cook it with the veggie peels and pieces for 12-24 hours, but at least 6 (the more the better). The ACV helps pull all the good stuff from the bones. You get this really healthy nutrient filled stock. I'll look for the link that explains how to do it. Oh, and I think it's like 2 tablespoons of ACV???
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and let it sit in the fridge. SCrape off the fat at the top and use that for cooking. Then, you can freeze the rest. It should be very thick and jello like.
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jveprek View Post
I save all of my veggie peels and tops. Then, when I have a whole chicken, I do whatever with it. I cover the carcas with water (a lot) then put in some apple cider vinegar. Let it sit like 30 min- 1 hour. Then cook it with the veggie peels and pieces for 12-24 hours, but at least 6 (the more the better). The ACV helps pull all the good stuff from the bones. You get this really healthy nutrient filled stock. I'll look for the link that explains how to do it. Oh, and I think it's like 2 tablespoons of ACV???
That is pretty much what I do, too. I actually wash, chop and freeze veggies that are at the end of their life, but not gone bad yet. Then when I make stock, I pop open the freezer, and throw in what I have saved up (or part of it). I always like some onion and celery and carrots in my stock. Dunno why, but those always end up in the pot.

2 TBS sounds about like the amount I use of ACV.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
MamaRachel
Registered Users
Formerly: *lsilver*
seller

My Mood:

I do the same thing as the pp, though I toss it in my crockpot
Here are the instructions that I use: http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/0...the-crock-pot/
though for some reason mine never gets thick
Old 02-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Superblonde Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm...I did not know that about ACV. I usually saute carrots, onion, celery (especially if I've got some that are kinda wilty and won't really work for much else) in some olive oil. When it's soft, throw the carcass in there, cover with water, salt, pepper, whatever spices I feel like (rosemary, sage, fennel, thyme). Sometimes I don't put anything in. Sometimes I add garlic to the veggies. Sometimes a bay leaf. Sometimes part of a dried chili pepper (that right there makes some good soup for when you're sick, especially if you're congested). I usually freeze it in different pre-measured portions so it's ready for recipes. 4 cups for making soup. Some 1 cup. Some 1/2 cup. Goooooood eats!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
photocat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebrainette View Post
That is pretty much what I do, too. I actually wash, chop and freeze veggies that are at the end of their life, but not gone bad yet. Then when I make stock, I pop open the freezer, and throw in what I have saved up (or part of it). I always like some onion and celery and carrots in my stock. Dunno why, but those always end up in the pot.

2 TBS sounds about like the amount I use of ACV.
Yep, me too. I do like the first poster but save all 'getting old' vegies like the above, and do the onion and carrot too. I use a splash of regular vinegar, probably about the same amount quoted above.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
mamabermudez
Registered Users

My Mood:

I usually make my stock after I have a roasted chicken.. When I roast chicken I usually salt and pepper the chicken and rub a herb and butter rub on the outside and under the skin, and stuff the cavity with herbs and citrus fruit (lemons and oranges), and garlic..Sometimes I roast veggies with my chicken, sometimes not.. It makes for a pretty amazing stock! I take the drippings, the bones and all the herbs and citrus and throw it in a stock pot and cover it with water and let it boil away for a while.. I taste it every 40 mins or so to see it the flavors are where I need them to be.. I stick it in the fridge in little containers overnight, and then freeze most of it, however I always have some in the fridge.. DD is a bit of a soup-a-holic, so we go through a lot of broth.
mamabermudez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
jodidavisme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jveprek View Post
This is how I do mine as well. When I don't have time to make stock after I roast a chicken, I just put all the fat and bones in a freezer bag and collect them until I have time and then do a big batch at once.
-- Jodi -- Christ-following, real food junkie, who is passionate about CDing, BFing, BWing and saving $. Married to Andy and SAHM to three beautiful sons Dylan (6/05), Lincoln (4/08) and Kristian (12/10)
jodidavisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
mamabermudez
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodidavisme View Post
This is how I do mine as well. When I don't have time to make stock after I roast a chicken, I just put all the fat and bones in a freezer bag and collect them until I have time and then do a big batch at once.
That's sooo smart! I love that idea.
mamabermudez is offline   Reply With Quote