Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Grain Mill?

I am going through a ton of flour these days since I have started making a lot of things from scratch. I'd like to start ordering wheat berries in bulk and buy a grain mill to grind them myself. I know that a Nutri Mill is great but $250 is a lot of money for me. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer and the grain mill attachment is only $100. Anyone use the kitchen aid attachment, does it work well enough to grind down the flour fine enough for bread?

Advertisement

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
lullaby80
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Grain Mill?

lullaby80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

We have the grain mill attachment. It works fine. Probably not as well as the nutrimill, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Do you have a professional Kitchen Aid, though? Supposedly the grain mill is not meant for use on the regular stand mixer, and it will burn out the plastic gears.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

We have the grain mill attachment. It works fine. Probably not as well as the nutrimill, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Do you have a professional Kitchen Aid, though? Supposedly the grain mill is not meant for use on the regular stand mixer, and it will burn out the plastic gears.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post

I have no idea, it was a wedding gift 5 years ago. I guess I will just save up and get the Nutrimill. I'd rather wait a while longer then spend the $100 and have it not work and blow up my mixer.

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
Nurtured Sew Naturally
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy_of_emma

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmrobinson View Post
I have no idea, it was a wedding gift 5 years ago. I guess I will just save up and get the Nutrimill. I'd rather wait a while longer then spend the $100 and have it not work and blow up my mixer.
if you look at your mixer, it should say the model on it if it's a Pro. I have the Pro 600, i believe it says Pro 600 on the metal band around the top. either way , i believe most of their models have something like that showing what model they are,
Also-if it's a tilt head instead of a bowl-lift model, then it's def. not a pro.
Nurtured Sew Naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

If you're using that much flour, I'd splurge and get a Nutrimill. I have one and it. I have heard too many stories of the KA attachment ruining your KA with lots of use. That would be sad to have your mixer ruined and definitely wouldn't save any money in the long run.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
jodidavisme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Nutrimill is awesome! My husband and I tried the kitchen aide attachment a few times and our mixer got really, really hot. We decided we'd rather buy a nutrimill and not have to end up buying both a nutrimill and mixer. I haven't regretted my decision once!
-- Jodi -- Christ-following, real food junkie, who is passionate about CDing, BFing, BWing and saving $. Married to Andy and SAHM to three beautiful sons Dylan (6/05), Lincoln (4/08) and Kristian (12/10)
jodidavisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have also been wondering about this. I heard someone say that they used their coffee grinder at first when they started grinding their own. Has anyone tried that? I know its not a long term thing, but when you first start, I wonder if it will work to get the hang of it.
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
swedishmaiden
Registered Users
seller

I grind 9 cups of wheat berries for every batch of bread, so the Nutrimill has been a must for me. Ours was a wedding gift and we bought a Bosch mixer ourselves, but every penny has been worth it. I use them both all the time and they work excellently.
swedishmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote