Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
elevee
Registered Users
seller

Flexibly sized and multi-child knits?

So, I live in Maine, where it's very cold. If kids are going to get out and enjoy the winter at all, they have to be really warmly dressed. And because I hate having to knit a whole new wardrobe for each size or each kid, I've developed some really durable warm outerwear and clothes to fit over multiple sizes, and last over several kids. Tell me what you think of these ideas: ambidextrous, double knitted, felted mittens that come lanolonised with strings, recycled longie-type overalls for kids and grownups; knitted nelson hat type baby hood; sweater dress with adustable length sleeves; crawling/toddling pants with adjustable leg length, and knitted merino/silk undershirts for babies. Dresses and pants would be machine washable superwash wool. I don't personally shop on etsy, but I haven't seen these products there or anywhere else. Is this the sort of thing people would buy?

Advertisement

elevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
tooker2010
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Flexibly sized and multi-child knits?

Love it!!! It isn't particularly cold where I live, but I am all for buying once, using multiple times (my mother's principle as well)
tooker2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
holl_ie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooker2010
Love it!!! It isn't particularly cold where I live, but I am all for buying once, using multiple times (my mother's principle as well)
Me too!
holl_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh wow - please please please share these wonderful things!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
elevee
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. Its coming along slowly- designing patterns is harder than just whipping stuff up for my own kids. I'm working on a lace weight undershirt, a balaclava and a pair of ribbed pants that fit at 12 pounds and still fit at more than 20.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know what you mean! I'm working on a couple of diaper patterns and some clothing myself. Stuff for my LO is easy, but making it perfect to sell... yep, LOTS of time and patience.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
sarahwinks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevee View Post
So, I live in Maine, where it's very cold. If kids are going to get out and enjoy the winter at all, they have to be really warmly dressed. And because I hate having to knit a whole new wardrobe for each size or each kid, I've developed some really durable warm outerwear and clothes to fit over multiple sizes, and last over several kids. Tell me what you think of these ideas: ambidextrous, double knitted, felted mittens that come lanolonised with strings, recycled longie-type overalls for kids and grownups; knitted nelson hat type baby hood; sweater dress with adustable length sleeves; crawling/toddling pants with adjustable leg length, and knitted merino/silk undershirts for babies. Dresses and pants would be machine washable superwash wool. I don't personally shop on etsy, but I haven't seen these products there or anywhere else. Is this the sort of thing people would buy?
I have searched and not found such items the multi sized pants would be great for baby wearing as they are ALWAYS shorter than normal when their legs are frogged up!!! I have also looked for mitens in the sleeve of the coats and not found either(I have mitten removing kids LOL) if you need testers Portland OR isn't super cold but I'm very interested!!!
Sarah Butcher
sarahwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

How's this coming?
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #9
elevee
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for asking. I have knitted up a bunch of test items to refine my patterns, and I have seamstress friend who is going to pursue my idea for colorful, long-growth Ruskovilla type longies for big kids. I have a few long-growth knitted baby patterns to try, if anyone is interested in testing. BTW. if I'm in testing phase, should I take this over to the WAHM forum?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:30 AM   #10
elevee
Registered Users
seller

Here's a link to my photobucket. I have a few more photos I need to track down and add. There is the balaclava, an undershirt in process (before sleeves), a placket neck undershirt with seamless set in sleeves (currently for sale over in Wool) and the growing pants. That's the same pant she wore at 12 pounds, and she is wearing it at 25. http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/...vee/?start=all