Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone use tooth soap?

I thought we were avoiding the nasty stuff by choosing fluoride and SLS free toothpaste but then I learned about glycerin. For those of you reading this who don't know, apparently glycerin (found in almost all toothpaste from what I can tell) coats the teeth and prevents them from absorbing important enamel strengthening/rebuilding minerals in your saliva. After hearing this I started to do research and heard about tooth soap for the first time. I even found some on Etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62411129...container-from

Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone uses tooth soap, or perhaps a homemade toothpaste. Tell me about it. How long have you been using non-traditional tooth paste? Have you noticed a change in your teeth? Does your dentist know? And if so, does he/she support your choice?

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
andreaw97
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone use tooth soap?

Hmm I have never heard of this.
andreaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
courtneylynmoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use toothsoap from Je M'appelle organics (I also use and love her bar soap (and I had always previously HATED bar soap) and other skin care products). My dentist thinks it's great...hasn't noticed anything different with my teeth, except my gums rated better on my last visit than my previous one...and my mouth FEELS cleaner. Now, be warned...toothsoap doesn't taste all super sweet, and it doesn't foam up in your mouth like regular toothpaste, but I don't miss those things at all.

http://jmorganics.com/index_files/VirginSoaps.htm
courtneylynmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneylynmoon View Post
I use toothsoap from Je M'appelle organics (I also use and love her bar soap (and I had always previously HATED bar soap) and other skin care products). My dentist thinks it's great...hasn't noticed anything different with my teeth, except my gums rated better on my last visit than my previous one...and my mouth FEELS cleaner. Now, be warned...toothsoap doesn't taste all super sweet, and it doesn't foam up in your mouth like regular toothpaste, but I don't miss those things at all.

http://jmorganics.com/index_files/VirginSoaps.htm
I actually like the sound of that! I hate how foamy big brand toothpaste is. The Green Beaver toothpaste i have right now is already way less foamy and I really don't think I would be disappointed with any less foam either.
I'm surprised that I didn't get anymore responses on this. I thought this had a chance at being one of those things that was actually really popular/common amongst the more natural, green living folks. But maybe it's much more obscure than I thought.
Well, I think I'm going to get some! Then maybe I can help spread the word!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
mom2ls
Registered Users
seller

You can use Dr. Bronner's as well - per the bottle.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ls View Post
You can use Dr. Bronner's as well - per the bottle.
Yeah, I have noticed that! I ordered the stuff off Etsy today. It also has Xylitol and Neem bark in it. And it's cinnamon flavoured
Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
luvmybabydoll
Registered Users
seller

I'm interested to hear how you like it!! I may have to check into it!
luvmybabydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
LoveThyScent
Banned

My Mood:

If your trying to avoid glycerin then you want to avoid all natural soap including tooth soap, Dr. Bronners, because they produce their own glycerin. Most people don't put it on the ingredient label.

Last edited by LoveThyScent; 02-26-2011 at 06:02 AM.
LoveThyScent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Lauren82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use tooth soap! It's the type sold at toothsoap.com. I use it with a Sonic Care toothbrush and it seems to clean just like conventional toothpaste. I am due for a cleaning soon so we'll see what the dentist has to say. I don't really think it's worth mentioning to the dentist what I use because I'm weird like that. I don't care to hear any lectures about how I'm ruining my teeth by not using toxic chemical laden toothpaste.

The only thing I dislike about tooth soap (other than the soap taste at first) is that it has nothing in it to whiten your teeth. Your teeth will start to look yellow over time.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveThyScent View Post
If your trying to avoid glycerin then you want to avoid all natural soap including tooth soap, Dr. Bronners, because they produce their own glycerin. Most people don't put it on the ingredient label.
What would you suggest?