Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
LoveThyScent
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Anyone use tooth soap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbit View Post
What would you suggest?
I really haven't a clue honestly. I use tooth paste with floruide, because I went without it for a while and it messed up my teeth. I've used my bars before for brushing my teeth though. I'll probably start doing it again, because I know someone that seen great results with it helping her enamel. I think there is a baking soda recipe floating around here, maybe do a search

Advertisement

LoveThyScent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
mamamaria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i use toothpaste (tom's or jason's both have glycerin) once a day instead of every brushing and i haven't had cavities or major issues in years. from what i understand the mechanical motion of brushing is what's most important to oral health. i use a conventional brush and an oral-b electric.

i've never heard of tooth soap and am super curious to hear how it goes for you!

Last edited by mamamaria; 02-28-2011 at 01:20 AM.
mamamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I came to post the same as Lovethyscent, all true soap has glycerin. Personally, since the company touting the wonders of tooth soap, likes to ignore the natural glycerin in soap, I chose to ignore most of their information. When I was selling soap I saw this information pop up time after time.

Personally, I am not sure if I believe any of it. If you really want to avoid glycerin, just use baking soda. If you really want to try tooth soap, all it is is flavoured hand made soap, you can actually get a bar of any WAHM unscented basic soap and try it, if you are really curious, just add flavour cause it tastes like soap

ETA; I also know people who do some tooth brushing with actual licorce sticks. It is good for the throat too.

Last edited by Fairycat; 02-26-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
LoveThyScent
Banned

My Mood:

You are right! Your best bet is to stay away from coconut or palm oils and it won't taste as bad. I tried my 100% olive castile and I could handle it, the palm and coconut bars you can say yuck LOL. You can shred the bar, add a little water, nuke it till melted and add baking soda, sweetener like stevia and whatever flavoring you like.
LoveThyScent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
MotownMama5478
Registered Users

Just yesterday I made some DIY toothpaste with an ounce of baking soda, a generous pinch of stevia, and several drops of peppermint essential oil. The recipe said you could also add calcium carbonate, which is a whitener, and vegetable glycerin, to make it a paste instead of a powder. I couldn't find calcium carbonate anywhere, so I skipped those two things. My powder doesn't taste the greatest and doesn't foam up at all, but so far I'm happy that it's simple, natural, and cheap.

Anne, wife to Steve since 7/2004 and SAHM to daughters Penelope Jane (7/2006) and Stevie Rose (1/2010)
MotownMama5478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
srpettitt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been wondering about this, too. I keep planning to order some Dr. Bronners peppermint and try it out for a while, but I keep getting caught up on the fact that in the ingredients it says "with retained glycerin." I guess it is still w/o flouride, but is it really any better than an flouride-free toothpaste? I've heard that baking soda is hard on your gums, so that's not something I want to use all the time either. That and my husband thinks I'm crazy! But it was HIS mom that told me about tooth soap to start with
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #17
janstar11
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

huh. interesting.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
I came to post the same as Lovethyscent, all true soap has glycerin. Personally, since the company touting the wonders of tooth soap, likes to ignore the natural glycerin in soap, I chose to ignore most of their information. When I was selling soap I saw this information pop up time after time.

Personally, I am not sure if I believe any of it. If you really want to avoid glycerin, just use baking soda. If you really want to try tooth soap, all it is is flavoured hand made soap, you can actually get a bar of any WAHM unscented basic soap and try it, if you are really curious, just add flavour cause it tastes like soap

ETA; I also know people who do some tooth brushing with actual licorce sticks. It is good for the throat too.
The toothsoap I purchased has xylitol and neem bark. So it's not JUST like any old soap. I'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll try baking soda again. I tried it years ago and it just about made me gag My teeth are not great so I just want to brush them with the best stuff I can find. I've never heard of anyone brushing with licorice sticks, but I love chewing on that stuff I think it helps a bit with my sugar cravings and I've also heard it's supposed to help regulate hormones and be good for lady issues
Old 04-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
mom2ls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownMama5478 View Post
Just yesterday I made some DIY toothpaste with an ounce of baking soda, a generous pinch of stevia, and several drops of peppermint essential oil. The recipe said you could also add calcium carbonate, which is a whitener, and vegetable glycerin, to make it a paste instead of a powder. I couldn't find calcium carbonate anywhere, so I skipped those two things. My powder doesn't taste the greatest and doesn't foam up at all, but so far I'm happy that it's simple, natural, and cheap.
I think (from what I've read) you have to ask your pharmacist for the calcium carbonate - fyi.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #20
ecocentric
Registered Users
seller

I've used toothpowders for years. For a long while I bought Eco-dent and really liked it.
http://www.eco-dent.com/
I've made my own with baking soda, sea salt and a drop of tea tree and cinnamon essential oil. Lately I've been mixing in a remineralizing powder made by Uncle Harry's.
http://www.uncleharrys.com/store/
The taste is way different at first for sure, but now regular toothpaste is yuck. I've been researching xylitol mixed with bentonite clay and I may start using that.
ecocentric is offline   Reply With Quote