Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:
calling all feta cheese lovers

Ok so I know we've all heard about the things we're not supposed to eat during pregnancy...lunch meat, soft serve ice cream, feta cheese and other soft cheeses, hot dogs unless they've been cooked to death....all of these things have the risk of carrying the bacteria listeria which is not so bad for mom but can be deadly to baby. It has been my understanding that the feta is risky because it is made from unpasturized milk which is why it may contain listeria. All of the feta at my grocery store has "pasturized milk" as the first ingredient. Am I to assume that this means it's safe? I mean don't they typically use unpasturized milk these days in anything because of the risks. I know I can go to my local health food store and get unpasturized milk, which is wonderful by the way, and assorted "raw" cheeses as well. I know I should avoid those while pregnant but what about pasturized feta? I would think it would be fine...right?

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: calling all feta cheese lovers

I ate Feta ALL THE TIME with my last pregnancy, I LOVE it, I never thought twice about it
Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've eaten a lot of feta (and blue cheese) during this pregnancy. It is my understanding that if its made with pasteurized milk then it is fine.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Ola_
Registered Users

Yup, I have been eating plenty of feta (and brie and camembert) this pregnancy. All the stuff at our local stores is made with pasteurized milk. Honestly I don't think even cheese made with raw milk is necessarily "evil", I'd just want to know the people who make it and provide the milk to be sure I could trust their processing/handling methods.

Then again I also eat sushi (from a local place I trust and has never gotten me sick) and drink some coffee/black tea, so my approach probably differs from the "norm".
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it's pasteurized, it's fine.

Of course, the last listeria outbreak in the US was from pasteurized milk, so I really have no qualms about eating pretty much anything I want.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
SpanishBella
Registered Users
Formerly: yd***on
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear View Post
If it's pasteurized, it's fine.

Of course, the last listeria outbreak in the US was from pasteurized milk, so I really have no qualms about eating pretty much anything I want.

This!
SpanishBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
luvmyfishies
Registered Users
seller

I love feta.... I eat it almost daily (cheese is my major craving this go round!)
Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
MamaSarahMay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ive eaten it a few times as well! I had no idea soft serve ice cream was on that list! I've been eating that a LOT!
Sarah~ Wife to Scott since 2/5/2005, Mommy to Alexander 9/4/2007 Our little miracle Caleb Joseph 4/18/2011 and our sweet little Angels in Heaven 10/2009 and 7/2010 Cautiously expecting #3 in March 2014!
MamaSarahMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

If it is recently opened and consumed within a day totally fine. Otheerwise heat it. It is delicious on pizza or in cheese sauce.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never thought twice about it...and I've eaten it through all three pgs.

Now let's stop talking about feta or I'll have to send DH to the store!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote