Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
jayner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
A little UGH rant about a new OB/CNM practice

So . . . I recently found out that I'm expecting #3. We also recently switched insurance, so I needed to find a new provider. Unfortunately for me, I only have two options within a half hour range.

I made my first appointment, told them on the phone that I had no idea how far along I am as I don't have regular periods and my last one was mid-December. I get the new patient packet in the mail, fill it out and go in to my appointment today with high hopes.

The only purpose of this entire visit (and entire waste of a half day of DH's time so he could watch the kids) was a meet and greet. That's it. I am paying for the privilege of sitting in the office, waiting for a half hour and being belittled by the CNM for 10 minutes as she assumed I have no idea what being pregnant entails.

They did nothing to confirm the pregnancy - no urine test, no blood work. The first available time to schedule a dating ultrasound is TWO to THREE weeks from now. In the meantime, though, she is ordering me to go ahead with the GD test, pushing all the extra tests - before even physically confirming the pregnancy!

And then, I have a yeast infection (recurrent problem when I'm pregnant). She refused to discuss it with me at all, stating only that I would have to make another appointment if that was a problem. Another appointment in a couple of weeks.

I don't know, maybe I'm too spoiled. I'm so used to walking in to my old OB's office and having them bend over backwards to make sure you were taken care of. Or, caring a tiny bit in the very least.

I'm thinking of calling my insurance and trying to switch to the other practice, and just eat the cost of this visit. But then, we'll be moving well before delivery, so it's just a temporary thing to deal with. Ugh.

Advertisement

~Zaichiki Baby~
LWI & Marble dyed OBV Snuggle Blankets! Now in-stock & custom slots!
jayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
ds1997
Registered Users
Formerly: lilac0422
seller
seller

Re: A little UGH rant about a new OB/CNM practice

I would be so ticked. It sounds completely pointless. I cannot believe you have to wait so long for an ultrasound. You weren't spoiled with you last doctor. That is the way things should be. You are being treated very poorly now. Good luck!!
ds1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
kristen121
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's crazy! At my first appt when I was pg with DD, I striped down and had a complete physical and a ton of blood work and scheduled my u/s to confirm my due date a few day later. Two to three weeks is way to long IMO since dating u/s are less accurate when done later in pregnancy.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac0422 View Post
I would be so ticked. It sounds completely pointless. I cannot believe you have to wait so long for an ultrasound. You weren't spoiled with you last doctor. That is the way things should be. You are being treated very poorly now. Good luck!!

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would be annoyed. At my new OB practice, when I called, they flat out tell me that my first visit would be an intake visit with the medical assistant. That is at 9wks or so, then you see your dr at 11wks. I would have at least expected them to tell you the first visit was an intake visit. I knew going in, so I didn't expect much. Now, it might be different if I wasn't sure when I conceived, but I knew without a doubt and told them so. I would call the other practice and just find out what their procedures are.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
I would be annoyed. At my new OB practice, when I called, they flat out tell me that my first visit would be an intake visit with the medical assistant. That is at 9wks or so, then you see your dr at 11wks. I would have at least expected them to tell you the first visit was an intake visit. I knew going in, so I didn't expect much. Now, it might be different if I wasn't sure when I conceived, but I knew without a doubt and told them so. I would call the other practice and just find out what their procedures are.
That's how mine was too. And yeah the MA did treat me like I'd never been pregnant and was half idiot. Even though I'd been an established patient there for 3 years. (And acted especially astounded that I might not know when my LMP was...) But they did take a urine sample and called in an antibiotic for my UTI after the visit. I didn't know how far I was and got dated around 10 weeks when I went back, the doctor was really friendly and helpful, it was just her MA that was horrible.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My sister just had this issue. This is her first pregnancy and she's going to a new practice but she went to her first "appointment" and ended up sitting there for 2 1/2 hours just answering questions. They never even touched her to examine her. She was really shocked.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
Mommamassey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry that you had to go thou that. I would see what you can do. You need to like your OB. Hope it all works out soon for you.
Mommamassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I called the office pregnant with my daughter I was told to come in when I was 12 weeks pregnant. I didn't even know that people usually went in before that! If I was trying to get a dating ultrasound I would probably be disappointed, as you are, but otherwise I personally wouldn't get an ultrasound before 12 weeks anyway. And, in that case, I'd just stay home until then and not waste my time with an office visit.

I really don't get why they would be pushing tests before they confirmed the pregnancy, though!