Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
jillybeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Elective 3d/4d ultrasounds

Our ob does the u/s himself and has a rather new 3d/4d machine, so we get to see 4d every time we get an u/s.

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
eaglewife126
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFishTwoFish View Post
Eaglewife - Where was your placenta that they couldn't see anything? I do have an anterior placenta, but there was no problem at the anatomy scan last week.

That is great that you can have it done at your doctor's office!

DH thinks I should do what I want since it's our last baby. His work schedule is all over the place so I am considering asking some of the women in my family to join me and make a lunch date out of it. Who knows.
as far as being anterior/posterior, i have no idea...but dd basically had her face buried in it or something...lol because of the difference in the type of ultrasound, there frequently isn't an issue with the regular ones and being able to see baby...we never had one either....but then when it came to the 3d, all we could see was the placenta! the tech explained it to us when we attempted it, but i don't remember it all so i'm no help there...lol i would say maybe call one of the places and see what they say because of the anterior placenta, or find out if they offer your $ back, or a 2nd session if things don't go well.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Since I only get one anatomy scan, I do also get the 3D/4D u/s. I have w/each pregnancy.

However, I think if I were getting more scans for some reason, I would forgo the 3D/4D just so that we weren't doing scans too often. As it is, I am not worried. I get 2-3 u/s per pregnancy - INCLUDING the 3D/4D u/s. In comparison to some other mamas, I am still getting minimal exposure to the u/s waves.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with using u/s for entertainment in small doses. It's been around for centuries with minimal risks/side-effects. I think when used reasonably by people with common sense, it's not a big deal. But I am sure like everything else, eventually it will be limited due to people overusing it and possibly hurting themselves or their babies. Soceity has to cater to the dumbest people, sadly.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I've done it with each of my children. I think they are fabulous and I only go to a place that has certified ultrasonographers. I tend to have a lot of ultrasounds (GD, fallen a couple times), but still get the 3d/4d cause it's not something I get at the doc office. The tech there is VERY quick and usually doesn't even let me see his face. She is STRICTLY business and I think forgets that the lady on the bed has an emotional attachment to that "growth" in there. LOL

I do not believe they are any more riskier than getting one done at the doc office if you go to a place that has certified people and not just someone who bought a machine and opened up shop.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Ola_
Registered Users

We are not doing any unnecessary ultrasounds, because as some of the PPs I think there is still lots we don't know about them. I mean they used to xray pregnant women to check the size of their pelvis before we knew that was bad! What we do know is that it is uncomfortable for babies because of the sound waves and they tend to avoid it, and that it heats up tissues.

We did choose to do the anatomical US at 20 weeks however, mostly because it was very important to DH. I would especially not use one of those "for entertainment" places. Of course, everyone can decide this for themselves! This is just my take on it.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
Stoffmaus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Due to being high risk we get an US every 4 weeks. The tech is super nice and usually switches to 3d/4d for a couple minutes. The Peri usually checks again when she comes in. I've asked in the past, and was told there is no risk. My baby never looks like it's uncomfortable!

I do have to say tho, since we pay so much in co pays, if we weren't getting all these scans, I would not go pay for one.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
mistylynn313
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Did you do one? Was it worth it? I didn't get to do one with my first son and since this will be our last baby I kind of want to. But for a decent package, the places I've found around here (all about an hour or so away) are about $170-180. That gives you 20-30 min session. Pics printed and on CD and a DVD of the session.

I just can't decide so I'd love your opinions if you did it or not!
Yes and YES! We had one done and I loved it. I would do it again if we ever decide to have another child. There is no demonstrable proof that u/s are harmful. My daughter ended up having a 6 ultrasounds for various reasons. (4 were 3D, 2 were traditional) We wasn't born with a 3rd eye or a tail. She walked a week before she turned 10mos. She's 2 and knows all her letters and numbers 0-13. (I say this only to illustrate that she has no ill effects from the ultrasounds)
Old 02-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
mistylynn313
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
What's not safe about it?
There really isn't anything that is unsafe. The problem is if you go to someone who doesn't have experience in interpretting ultrasounds they could potentially give you misinformation about the state of your baby. i.e. birth defects, etc
Old 02-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #19
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
I have not, but if I can't find out the sex at my anatomy scan, I will go somewhere to get one.
This is why I would get one. Otherwise, we won't. With DD, we had 3d/4d scans a lot because I was high risk. We are TTC so when we do get pregnant, we'll be doing things differently with this one. In my mom's words "you gotta leave something up to the element of surprise"
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
Traysee
Registered Users
seller

I have had 3D ultrasounds during my pregnancy. I am expecting twins in May. I had a lot of early problems with my pregnancy. The first 3D one I had was elective, I paid for a package deal. I went to a real OB office that offered it and had a certified tech do the imaging. I decided to get it because my first OB had a terrible US machine and rarely let me see the screen during my exams. I had to ask him to show me my babies or he didn't bother. He rarely gave me photos and didn't even play me their heartbeats. Several times during my pregnancy I had pregnancy complications and I was so afraid I was going to lose the pregnancy that I wanted to see my babies better in case that was all I was going to have of them. I wanted to know everything I could about them before I lost them. I am on bed rest and so far doing well except for one trip to the hospital for contractions last sunday.

I really do not think that ultrasounds are dangerous. All the research you see on ultrasounds has said that there are no known risks. Ultrasounds have been around for a very long time. It is just sound waves. Most high risk pregnancies have multiple ultrasounds. In twin/multiple pregnancies towards the end you have one a week. If you are having a normal pregnancy you do not have nearly as many as a high risk person does. I do not think you have anything to worry about by having one or two more ultrasounds, and it is something special you will have forever. My sister had 3D ultrasounds with her babies 12 years ago so even 3D has been around for a long time.

I ended up leaving my first doctor at 20 weeks because he was very unsupportive and switched to a more high tech office. My current doctor heads the L and D department at his hospital. This hospital has one of the highest rated Level 3 NICUs in our area. He says that ultrasounds are very safe and that 3D is no different than having a regular 2D ultrasound. My new doctor actually offers 3D/4D elective ultrasounds in his office. If I knew that I would have my 3D elective done there since their machines are really awesome and the tech gets really great shots.
Traysee is offline   Reply With Quote