Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Help me pick a SSC

We have a Sleepy Wrap and a Peanut Shell sling but I'm already looking for my next carrier. We also have a Scootababy that I haven't opened yet because it says it's for 5 months and up (DS is only 6 weeks old and has good head control but I don't think he's ready for it yet).

I was considering a Gemini because it seems so versatile but after reading more about front facing front carry it seems that even though Gemini is better than a Bjorn, that carry just isn't really that good for babies. Also since we have the Scootababy, maybe we don't need one that does hip carry? Or maybe the Scootababy is redundant and I should sell it to help fund whatever my new SSC is? I was also thinking about a BBII because I think we'll eventually get a lot of use out of a back carry and that one seems easiest to do it in.

I live in LA and there is a store about an hour away in OC but I don't know of anything nearby where I can try ones on so I'm planning on doing mail order. I'm 5'7" and normally 130 lbs (still up ~10 lbs pp) and I'd like my DH to be able to use the SSC, too (he's 5'11" 180). DS is nearly 13 lbs and about 24" long.

Advertisement

and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
LulaBelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help me pick a SSC

I love my BBII. In fact I love it so much that I ordered another (more boyish) one for baby #2. I also ordered a Gemini (although I haven't tried one one) since it looks like it will be easier to BF in (no internal panel). I loved how easy the back carry was in the BBII. I never felt nervous to do it by myself. If that's a big deal to you, the BBII may be the way to go. You could always order both, and just return one. PAXBaby is Socal based and she does carrier rentals as well, if you want to try them out first.

How far are you from the San Gabriel Valley area? There's No Sugar Added in Claremont that carries both carriers and will help you with the fit and troubleshooting. That's where I bought my first BBII. Not sure if that's any closer than OC. I'm assuming you're referring to Granola Babies in OC. I'd let you try mine on, but they won't be here for another 2.5 weeks (I got customs). Good luck with your decision!
LulaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
calind115
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, do you like wrapping? you could always get a woven wrap they are super versitle and your dh can wear it too. rs's are great too, but it puts all the kids weight on one shoulder as opposed to 2. ssc are super fast and comfy but not nearly as snuggly in my opinion. mt's are fun too!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
HeavenlyHold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You have a good stash started! I think you might like the BBII, but as for your DH, mine won't touch it...too many buckles and too complicated for him. He'll only use a SSC that has a simple on and off and that means as little to buckle and fool with as possible. The Butterfly has the internal panel (which in all honesty isn't all that "complicated"--but DH is impatient!) AND the built in infant insert which is fantastic for wearing a newborn in a SSC.

I would hang on to the Scootababy for now, b/c I LOVE mine! It's great for when your LO gets to the point where they're on your back 99% of the time and then they need some "facetime" but you're trying to get some stuff done! On the hip...with tons of support!

Amber, CWAHM to Kaelin (02-07) Kiley (07-09) and Kamryn (12-11)
Like us on Facebook
HeavenlyHold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't really want a wrap or a RS. Wraps are too cumbersome and I don't like wearing them all day (hard to put on so end up wearing it forever once it's on). Even right now at almost 13 lbs the boy is about too heavy to be carried on one shoulder in a sling.

Is the Gemini easier to put on and take off than the BBII? Should I also be considering a Beco, Ergo or Angelpack? Seems like there are so many different brands and types it's overwhelming.

Claremont is probably the same distance as OC so if it is really recommended to try something on before buying I'll probably either order multiples and return the ones I don't like or rent one from PAXbaby.
and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
calind115
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really liike my babies beyond borders and my o&a
Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
JessicaArizona
Yes...we know what causes it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the BBII and a Gemini and I LOVE them both!!!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
Frogmama
I sell Great Baby Carriers!:)
Formerly: tlfoster15
sitesupporter
seller

I would check out the Becos- depending on wether you like the idea of the inner panel or not I would try the Butterfly or the Gemini. The Angelpack is also a great choice it is very lightweight and great for summer too Ideally if you can buy a couple and try them out then just return what you don't like.
Frogmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

To those of you with multiple carriers, what makes you decide when to use what? Do you have one you prefer but your DH prefers something else? I try to be pretty minimalist with our belongings so I was hoping to just get one SSC.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
calind115
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

for me, i have 3 ssc. one is my go to, one it dh's go to and one extra that fits our big kid.