Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mastitis...

Oh what to do? I've tried nursing from that side, hot shower, pumping but It's getting worse and I'm starting to not feel so well too. Is there anything else to do? I don't want to go on medication because then I usually get yeast infections and then have to go on medication for that. Ugh, my breast hurts though!!! Do you guys have any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 05:39 AM   #2
Kele
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Mastitis...

Swallow raw garlic! Cute it into swallowable pieces and chuggin' the water. You'll be belching garlic, but I truly believe that's what worked for my last bout. Also taking lechtin, but I think that's more preventative.
Good luck!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama! I had a bad case of mastitis with 103.5 fever for 3 days in both breast about a month ago (now I will never leave my DD for longer than an hour). And I tried everything but I was feeling so bad that I had to get on the antibiotics. If thats the case for you, you can try probiotics w/ the antibiotics. But also you could take a nursing vacation lay and bed and nurse nurse nurse!! I know it hurts! Also make sure you don't ignore the other side. Also if DC is not nursing often enough you could also pump in needed. But other than that I don't have any suggestions. I failed at treated Mastitis at home and wasn't good at remember to take the probiotic w/ the antibiotic and now we are dealing w/ a nasty case of thrush but I just wanted to give you a big and hope you feel better
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I feel awful. The doctor isn't even open yet. My whole body is achy. Yuck. And I have a fever, I feel like poo. And then my dh left me for work. I garlic last night but maybe I'm too far along? Thanks Mamas for your help.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama if you feel awful Id go to the Dr. I usually treat everything at home and naturaly but Mastitis could make u really sick and hurt your BFing relationship w/ your DC.

Feel better mama and rest

MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I talked to a lactation consultant who gave me tips on naturally getting rid of mastitis... the one that no one has listed so far is to take a pin and unclog your nipple, I was scared to do it but it worked to break up the block, unfortunatly it didn't get rid of the infection. I ended up going to the dr after 3 days of high fevers and if I had waited another day to start the antibiotics I would have had a abcessed duct (sp?) and that requires surgical drainage and forces you to stop nursing on that side for a while. I would recomend antibiotics and like someone else said, probiotics along with it, and cabbage leaves for the pain, they really do work! Also, avoid lanolin if you're using it, it can make a blocked duct worse and try flower of essence instead.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

GSE again. (grapefruit seed extract) save your self the trip to the doc, the office fee and the fee's for the pharmacy and just keep a bottle of this stuff around along with empty gel capsules.
Also keep in mind that synthetic antibiotics can cause secondary infections so you would have to worry about getting another infection to take care of.

You don't need that with being sick and having a baby.