Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
007librarian
Registered Users

Tips for transition to toddler bed?

I'm looking to get my 18m old into her new toddler bed but I'm hoping some of you can offer some tips/tricks to make it easy? Anything I can to do to make it smooth? I want to get it right the first night! She's a good sleeper but we're moving her into a new room (making way for baby #2 due in June) so it'll be a change. Right now I can just put her in the crib and walk out and she falls asleep on her own.

Advertisement

007librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
cbreeding
Registered Users

Re: Tips for transition to toddler bed?

I switched my ODD to a twin mattress on the floor when she was 18mths. It started because she began laying on the floor when she got tired after reading stories, and did asked to be put in the crib. Also, we stayed with my DD until she fell asleep so a twin mattress allowed us to lay next to her.

I just put the mattress on the floor, and immediate she just went and laid on it. Only one night did she decide to sleep in the crib. Obviously this was super easy for us and the transition went smoothly, but I did have a plan of action because I didn't expect it to be that easy. Just her temperament I guess.

First, there was no immediate rush to get her out of the crib so I was just going to introduce the mattress into her room and let her get comfortable with it being there.

Second, when she showed signs of wanting to go to sleep, I would first lay her on the mattress. If she protested and wanted to go in the crib, I would have let her. Just keep trying every night, and talking to her about sleeping in a big bed.

Third, I could lay down with her on a mattress as opposed to the crib, and she really liked being snuggled to sleep. If I was already laying on the mattress, it would be an incentive for her to come and lay down next to me.

I try not to rush my LO's into changes but give them time to adjust and even make the choice themselves. So far it's worked with my oldest, but my youngest might just give us a run for our money.

Good luck with the change.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd only do one transition at a time. Either put her in the toddler bed in her current room for a while and have her get used to the new bed, then move her to a new room OR move the crib to the new room, get her used to the new room and then transition her to the toddler bed.

My only other advice is to use mattress she's used to (put the new mattress in the crib), use the same bedding (wait a few days to change to a new sheet) and follow the same going-to-bed routine you've been using. If she has a lovey, be sure she has it. Be prepared for her to get up several times the first few nights (reveling in her new "freedom", but if you keep putting her back to bed (don't get angry/frustrated, just say repeatedly, "you're a big girl now, so it's your responsibility to stay in your bed. Good night"). Be consistent and she'll get it. DD moved to a toddler bed at 13 mths. DS made the transition at 8 mths. It's not bad. GL mama.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ours wasn't quite as smooth at the two pp. We had no problems getting the boys to sleep in their cribs, just like you but when they were able to get out of bed it was impossible to get them to sleep. It didn't help that they had a playmate though We ended up hving to take everything out of the room but the mattress on the floor. I agree with the pp about only changing one thing at a time
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwenyi View Post
I'd only do one transition at a time. Either put her in the toddler bed in her current room for a while and have her get used to the new bed, then move her to a new room OR move the crib to the new room, get her used to the new room and then transition her to the toddler bed.

My only other advice is to use mattress she's used to (put the new mattress in the crib), use the same bedding (wait a few days to change to a new sheet) and follow the same going-to-bed routine you've been using. If she has a lovey, be sure she has it. Be prepared for her to get up several times the first few nights (reveling in her new "freedom", but if you keep putting her back to bed (don't get angry/frustrated, just say repeatedly, "you're a big girl now, so it's your responsibility to stay in your bed. Good night"). Be consistent and she'll get it. DD moved to a toddler bed at 13 mths. DS made the transition at 8 mths. It's not bad. GL mama.
I'd actually do the opposite. Set up the new room, let her help put together her new big girl bed, talk up her big girl room, and then either do a big countdown (maybe three days) to the move or just ask her each night where she wants to sleep. I would use her mattress and her current sheet/pillow so it smells the same.

From there, I'd follow the rest of the advice about putting her back to bed when she gets up.

Neither of my girls had a hard time transitioning to the toddler bed. I let them help me put it together, and then the next night they slept in it. Not a big deal at all for either one. Oldest was 20 months, youngest was 13 months.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #6
SwaggerWagon
Registered Users
seller

Ok so a few different suggestions. Since your daughter is a good sleeper and normally falls asleep on her own in the crib, I would not go back in there at all once she is out of bed. It is going to start a bad habit that she and you are not used to.
I would set up her new room. Toddler bed, and whatever else you what in there just make sure the room is completely safe and baby proofed ( ie dressers attached to the wall, outlet plugs, etc completely safe!) the only things I had in my dd's room (we switched her at 14 months to get ready for baby 2) was her dresser and a few stuffed animals and books plus the bed. That's it! Then start at bedtime one night after you have prepped her, and go put her in there after a normal bed time routine and leave. my dd screamed the loudest scream i have ever heard and slept on the floor the first night after kicking and screaming for 30 seconds. The next nap and night, everything was fine and she never got out of bed once. Honestly she still doesn't until after she wakes up. Yours might not scream, she may be fine. she might get up to explore, but wouldn't you? I would sit near her room and listen and wait, but don't go in there unless you want her to expect you to come in here all the time.
Oh, if she is opening the door you have a few options. I used a gate at the door for a while until she realized she wasn't getting out. She could open the door but couldn't go any where, so it became un-interesting. You can sit and wait for her to open it and then when she does put her back to bed. I have friends that have put childproof locks on the inside of the door so they can't open it. But I dont use monitors so I like her being able to open the door and scream if she needs me when she's sick or needs something.
Oh, and eventually I added more to the room, a few more toys and another storage unit once i knew she could handle the bed and room.
Ok sorry so long! Let us know how everything goes. I am about to switch DS at about 14 months again to get ready for baby 3 so we will be right behind you!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

getting ready to do the same with with ds at 17 months. we'll see how it goes. my general plan is to take his crib out, put his new bed in (we're using his same mattress and bedding, i never thought about that helping him to ease the transition, so i'm glad to hear it's a good idea ) and then do the same bedtime routine as usual, except right now i usually rock him and sing a few songs before laying him down, and he's getting too heavy to carry much anymore so i'd like to transition to laying next to him in the bed and sleeping. then, lay him down, shut the door and hope for the best. right now, as long as we keep the bedtime routine consistent, i just lay him in his crib wide awake and he rolls over and goes to sleep on his own. my biggest concern is him getting up and running around his room and hurting himself. he has a nightlight that he's always messing with if we let him, and all the outlets are down by the floor, and he freaks if he doesn't have it, so i don't want to just get rid of it, and his closet doors are the sliding kind and he plays in there a lot, and i'm not sure how i could keep him out of there since he knows how to open it. i'm also a little worried about him climbing on the rocking chair and hurting himself, but after reading these posts, i'm thinking now maybe i'll just go ahead and sell it and get it out of there. we don't really need it that much any more anyways since i'll be cutting his bedtime bottle out soon too and it's a crappy rocking chair so i'm not saving it for the next baby. thanks for all the suggestions, and OP, good luck to both of us

Last edited by Liadan23; 02-24-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
007librarian
Registered Users

Wow, until it was mentioned here I didn't even think about this transition including her naps! I was focused on overnights. A good thing for me to keep in mind is to keep the stimulation to a minimum until she's used to the room (I'd planned on making it a play corner, that'll wait!). My husband thinks that she should be closer to 3 before she gets a toddler bed so I'm so happy to hear that others have made the change at about this same time or even earlier with success!

Great suggestions everyone, thank you so so so much!
007librarian is offline   Reply With Quote