Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #21
GracieMak'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiSapphireJade View Post
I just wanted to update you ladies. I went ahead and gave Similac Sensitive a try when DS turned 8 months old (nearly 7 months old adjusted age). He has done quite well on it. He is actually drinking it which makes him sleep better at night. He isn't fussy on it at all. His poo has also returned to a more normal consistency (as on Nutramigen and even Alimentum he had very runny poo that left him with a constant diaper rash).

I guess it depends on why your LO is put on a hypoallergenic formula. If it is true allergies/intolerances than it is probably best to keep them on it for the long haul. I think in our case his prematurity caused him to have poor digestion/colic and the Nutramigen really helped get us through that phase. He seems to have outgrown it and I'm very thankful.
This was us exactly!

Advertisement

GracieMak'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #22
wendow
Registered Users
seller

That is awesome that he is tolerating it so beautifully!! Yay
Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #23
dkottas
Registered Users
seller

I am going through the same thing with one of my twins. She is 8 months old now and has been on either Nutramigen or Alimentum since she was 4 months old. She has reflux and is being weaned off medication for that, but the pediatrician also said we can try putting her back on a milk-based formula. It's so confusing. If she starts having a problem again, how do I tell whether it's formula change, medication change or the relatively new solids? I think we will try to use milk-based formula in her cereal this weekend and see how it goes. I have to admit I have given her small spoonfuls of yogurt to no ill effect though so fingers crossed!
dkottas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #24
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottas View Post
I am going through the same thing with one of my twins. She is 8 months old now and has been on either Nutramigen or Alimentum since she was 4 months old. She has reflux and is being weaned off medication for that, but the pediatrician also said we can try putting her back on a milk-based formula. It's so confusing. If she starts having a problem again, how do I tell whether it's formula change, medication change or the relatively new solids? I think we will try to use milk-based formula in her cereal this weekend and see how it goes. I have to admit I have given her small spoonfuls of yogurt to no ill effect though so fingers crossed!
ALWAYS make one change at a time! So change either formula or medication but not both and give the change a good 2-3 weeks before you make another change. Believe me, it is always worth taking these kinds of things slowly Hope your transition goes well!!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #25
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
ALWAYS make one change at a time! So change either formula or medication but not both and give the change a good 2-3 weeks before you make another change. Believe me, it is always worth taking these kinds of things slowly Hope your transition goes well!!
ITA!

So, Elias has been on the Similac Sensitive for about 2 weeks now. At first he seemed to be doing great. Now I have noticed a few things: his excema is back all over his body (he had it bad before being put on Nutramigen), and he has also started spitting up a lot again. He used to have such bad reflux he would projectile vomit almost every bottle. We switched to Nutramigen and that completely stopped. Now he is spitting up quite a bit of every bottle, not projectile, but in between. Otherwise he is taking the formula fine and isn't fussy or anything. So, I'm not sure what to do. I am hesitant to put him back on Nutramigen because he really refused to eat it and it caused him to be cranky and not sleep well. Decisions, decisions....
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #26
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
ITA!

So, Elias has been on the Similac Sensitive for about 2 weeks now. At first he seemed to be doing great. Now I have noticed a few things: his excema is back all over his body (he had it bad before being put on Nutramigen), and he has also started spitting up a lot again. He used to have such bad reflux he would projectile vomit almost every bottle. We switched to Nutramigen and that completely stopped. Now he is spitting up quite a bit of every bottle, not projectile, but in between. Otherwise he is taking the formula fine and isn't fussy or anything. So, I'm not sure what to do. I am hesitant to put him back on Nutramigen because he really refused to eat it and it caused him to be cranky and not sleep well. Decisions, decisions....
I'm not really sure what you should do either. It does sound like he is reacting to it on some level but I am always hesitant to stop a formula (or in our case now, a food) because of eczema or spitting up. My reasons why are that eczema can be caused by many different things and in less than 50% of cases, is it because of food. So, unless the eczema is really, really bad, I would try to simply treat the eczema and keep going.

The deal with spitting up is that some babies just spit up more and some formulas sit in the tummy longer causing more spitting. Is he taking more of the Similac sensitive b/c maybe he likes it better so he's drinking more? If he is happy, sleeping well, taking the formula easily, having normal poops and continuing to grow well, I would continue with this formula.

For my ds, we always see his reacting right away in his behavior and his sleep. So to me, it'd be encouraging that there is no problem there. That is just my thoughts.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #27
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I'm not really sure what you should do either. It does sound like he is reacting to it on some level but I am always hesitant to stop a formula (or in our case now, a food) because of eczema or spitting up. My reasons why are that eczema can be caused by many different things and in less than 50% of cases, is it because of food. So, unless the eczema is really, really bad, I would try to simply treat the eczema and keep going.

The deal with spitting up is that some babies just spit up more and some formulas sit in the tummy longer causing more spitting. Is he taking more of the Similac sensitive b/c maybe he likes it better so he's drinking more? If he is happy, sleeping well, taking the formula easily, having normal poops and continuing to grow well, I would continue with this formula.

For my ds, we always see his reacting right away in his behavior and his sleep. So to me, it'd be encouraging that there is no problem there. That is just my thoughts.
I think the spitting up is because he is eating more of it. And, it is also more foamy/bubbly when mixed so I think the bubbles might cause him to burp more strongly and thus spit up more. The spitting up isn't as concerning. He seems to do it about 3-4 times a day and not every bottle at this point.

However, his eczema is BAD. His whole head looks like it is covered in cradle cap again, and his whole torso/neck is covered in red spots. I'm not sure if the red spots are virus related or not (he is getting over an ear infection). So, I'm keeping an eye on it and if the red spots don't go away with the virus, I might consider switching him back. Otherwise, I can easily treat the eczema on his scalp with cream and such.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #28
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
However, his eczema is BAD. His whole head looks like it is covered in cradle cap again, and his whole torso/neck is covered in red spots. I'm not sure if the red spots are virus related or not (he is getting over an ear infection). So, I'm keeping an eye on it and if the red spots don't go away with the virus, I might consider switching him back. Otherwise, I can easily treat the eczema on his scalp with cream and such.
My kiddos have all been the type to get rashes with illness but not cradle cap looking. Just body rashes that do look like eczema. Did he have meds with the ear infection? Maybe a reaction to the antibiotics...my ds reacts to amoxicillin and several other meds.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #29
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My kiddos have all been the type to get rashes with illness but not cradle cap looking. Just body rashes that do look like eczema. Did he have meds with the ear infection? Maybe a reaction to the antibiotics...my ds reacts to amoxicillin and several other meds.
Instead of meds this time we did garlic drops in the ear and the chiropractor (it is his 5th ear infection since Christmas and he has been on various antibiotics). I'm thinking it is just whatever virus is running through his system. Even my other kids get spotted rashes like this when they get sick. His is worse, but he has much more sensitive skin. I think the cradle cap stuff on the head could be from dairy in the new formula, but it isn't bad enough to stop at this point. I just bought some more cans last night and am going to try to ride out the virus and see how he is on the formula once he is well.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #30
wendow
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Instead of meds this time we did garlic drops in the ear and the chiropractor (it is his 5th ear infection since Christmas and he has been on various antibiotics). I'm thinking it is just whatever virus is running through his system. Even my other kids get spotted rashes like this when they get sick. His is worse, but he has much more sensitive skin. I think the cradle cap stuff on the head could be from dairy in the new formula, but it isn't bad enough to stop at this point. I just bought some more cans last night and am going to try to ride out the virus and see how he is on the formula once he is well.
I think that sounds like a good plan Hope he tolerates it well!!