Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Luna Lair
Registered Users
Formerly: MissHanson8
seller

My Mood:
NB help. Are prefolds and covers the way to go?

I am considering just doing prefolds and covers since they seem to be the most cost effective option for a NB. Is that, IYHO, the way to go? I habe 1 Nab fitted and thena few one size fitteds that I'm sure won't fit for a long time.

If I do order prefolds, do I just fold them in thirds and lay it in the cover? Or would I snappi it on, then cover? I have only ever used fitted that a friend gave to me.

Please help mammas, my lil man will be here in less than 2 weeks!

Also, how do I prep them for baby?!! Thanks for the help ladies.

Advertisement

Last edited by Luna Lair; 02-25-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Luna Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: NB help. Are prefolds and covers the way to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHanson8 View Post
I am considering just doing prefolds and covers since they seem to be the most cost effective option for a NB. Is that, IYHO, the way to go? I habe 1 Nab fitted and thena few one size fitteds that I'm sure won't fit for a long time.

If I do order prefolds, do I just fold them in thirds and lay it in the cover or snappi it on, then cover? I have only ever used fitted that a friend gave to me.

Please help mammas, my lil man will be here in less than 2 weeks!

Also, how do I prep them for baby?!! Thanks for the help ladies.
I think it depends on the size of your baby. All but one of mine were preemies, so a large newborn stash of various things seemed the way to go for me... I have fitteds, AIO's, prefolds & covers, you name it. Because I'm sure she won't hit that 12 pound mark for quite a while.

However, I think for an average to bigger size newborn, the teeny tiny stuff will not fit very long at all. Most newborn diapers are only going to fit up to 10 pounds, sometimes 12. If I could've been lucky enough to have an 8 or 9 pound full term baby, for instance, I would've just stuck with a few little doublers, prefolds, and covers, then spent money on fitteds & one size's & AIO's for the next size up.

Trifolding a prefold is a great option, but maybe not so great for a newborn, particularly if you plan to breastfeed - those BF poopies can be explosive! You will be getting a lot of poo on your covers if you trifold and breastfeed. I think even if you don't breastfeed, you should pin or Snappi the prefold under the cover just for extra protection. Try trifolding when the baby is a little bit bigger.

If you get brand new, unwashed prefolds, you will need to wash them on hot and dry them on hot several times to prep them. Especially if you get unbleached prefolds. Or, you could boil them actually! Newborn prefolds are small enough. What I did with mine was I got the biggest pot I had, filled it with hot water, put in a few prefolds (not enough to cram the whole thing), brought that to a rapid boil for several minutes, got them out with tongs, re-filled with fresh hot water, and repeated with the next batch until they'd all been boiled for several minutes. Then just for peace of mind I ran them through one hot wash together in the washer and tossed them in the dryer. They quilted up and got soft/absorbent right away.

Good luck with your baby boy and your adventure into cloth diapering!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:26 AM   #3
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hey mama,
i have wasted a lot of money, (hubbys money i should say and he isnt too pleased) but it was a learning experience i hope u can learn from
so i have used gdiapers, hemp babee greens, cotton babee greens, and and little beetles...all very nice (expensive) fitted diapers. my daughter ended up being allergic to hemp so be cautious of it...i suggest organic cotton...
but after all the hundreds (probly closer to over a thousand) dollars i have waisted, im going to prefolds. i am going to be TTC soon and have baught sum preemie sizes (4-10lds...my daughter was 6 pounds wen she was born)
i have pins, and i was a little sceptical about snappis, but i just ordered sum from a mama on here...(same with the prefolds) i do have sum gerber bleached ones i try to only use for clean up messes for now, (im all about organic) the prefolds im getting are organic cotton.
anywho, i suggest getting like 3 different sizes, preemie (4-10lbs) unless ur guna have a big baby...then go straight to infant size which is usually like 7-18 pounds i think, and then regular premium is like 15-35 pounds...u can get just the one big size and use it all the way from birth to potty training, but it will be BULKY!
i always seem to have something wrong with every fitted i have im tired of waisting money when part of this was for saving money...
prefolds u can certainly use for multiple children, some fitted brands claim u can, but elastic wears, snaps and velcro wears or breaks...
look on youtube, and there are different demos on how to fold the prefold different ways...i think theres 4 basic ways to do it...
ive done the 3rds thing....but im not going to do that....im going to fold it the snappiable way, snappis help the diaper be tighter so you dont have as many leaks
so that is what i would suggest...
preping them...most sights say to wash them about 6 times to get out all of the oil n what not to make them absorbant, i have read on here sum mamas say they boil them to get the oils out and wash them n call it good. and continually use hot water, it helps kill germs. when i get my new ones for my 2nd baby, i will just wash them.
im going to suggest buying biokleen laundry detergent, earth friendly, and it has grape fruit seed extract which kills germs
also im going to suggest, if u are going to mainly get PUL diaper covers, u should invest in a couple wool ones as well. i only have wool ones, i baught PUL covers for my daughter and within one diaper change her poor baby bum was beat red! and yes i do change her often, ima SAHM...never have issues with wool....so have one on hand for the poor bum rashes to help clear up...
hope i helped, sorry ive been going on n on....congrats on ur baby boy
Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
reachtothestars
Registered Users
seller

The only traditional prefolds I have are toddler size ones and they are way too big on my toddler that is almost 3.

I have 2 mandie's menagerie size small prefolds and with a doubler they work great trifolded into a cover on him.

Now the PB&E itty bitties I have would not work they are too small.
reachtothestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used cloth on my now 13 month old son from when when we got home from the hospital. Prefolds are great for newborns as newborns go through so many diapers and prefolds are cheap. I never did a full prefold stash though. I liked having fitteds and 6 AIOs for easy changes (daddy, grandparents, middle of the night, etc.). What works for me would 12-18 orange edge GMD prefolds, 12 fitteds (KL0, Snickel, Mutts) and 6 AIOs (Very Baby, BG XS) and 6 covers (Thirstie Duo 1, Prowraps). For the prefolds and any natural fiber diapers you will need to prep them by washing and drying them many times to reach maximum absorbancy (or buy used on FSOT and they should already be prepped ). I love to buy nb diapers on FSOT!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I highly suggest a stash of prefolds and flats with good covers for newborns. It's easy to do, easy to clean and cost effective. My DD's skin was BEAUTIFUL and healthy in prefolds as opposed to the disposables we used in the hospital made her SO red. We used most of our newborn and preemie prefolds well up until 6 months in some way so they paid for themselves many times over. We are still using some preemies as doublers now at a year.

I like Diaper Rite, Little-Lions and GMD for prefolds. I also hear good things about the Imagines from Nickis Diapers. For covers, Nikky cotton are great, soft basic covers.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can only half offer any "advice" (if that's what you want to call it) since I haven't started CDing yet. My older 2 were sposie kids and this will be the first one for me to CD. When I started looking into cloth, I wanted something pretty user friendly. We don't have a super strict budget, so I was willing to pay more for convenience. I'm sure with practice, I could probably get used to the prefold/cover thing, but I was afraid to try them, feel like I kept messing up, and then give up. So for me, personally, I chose a AI2 system (softbums) and a OS so I wouldn't have to change sizes. I can't wait for baby to arrive so I can start! I did decide to buy some newborn fitteds and am working on getting a few covers just to try something a little different, but they probably won't last long anyway. My older kids were around 8lbs at birth, so I feel like a OS will work from the beginning. DH is pretty skeptical, so I also wanted something that was as easy as sposies to change, but I will still handle all the laundry.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
Poox2
Registered Users
seller

Prefolds are a good option for the majority of nb diapers. With a snappy they are pretty easy- even my dh didn't have a problem with them. I really like fitted though, so I think it would be worth getting a few of them - you'll already have covers so it makes more sense then an AIO or pocket. Fitteds would be easier for helpful visitors and grandparents. Congratulations on making the switch!
Poox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really enjoyed the convience of AIO's when Out and about and for middle of the nights
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have CDd all 3 of mine so far and I love prefolds and flats. They are so easy and CHEAP. Now that being said it is nice to have a few AIOs or pockets or even fitteds for the diaper bag just for convenience sake. I have wasted SO MUCH money on so many different wonderful fancy diapers. There are many great kinds of diapers out there but if you're worried about cost prefolds and flats are the way to go.

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com

Check this site out. She has specially sized prefolds so you can get a perfect fit on your NB and she has tons and tons of pics an tutorials about how to use them, fold them, what they look like on all different sizes of babies so you can best judge what size you need, and how they fit into all the different brands of covers she sells. She also has flat rate shipping