Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
LilRedRooster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: NB help. Are prefolds and covers the way to go?

With mine, it was so much cheaper and easier for me start with prefolds and covers. I started with 12 OsoCozy infant prefolds, 12 Ecobobum one-size prefolds, 3 Econobum one-size covers, and 4 Thirsties size 1 Duo wraps. The Thirsties and OsoCozy prefolds fit trimly on my 8lb 1oz newborn and lasted until she was at least 5 months old, and she put on weight very quickly. I know now that it was a good idea that I went with what I did, because she would have outgrown a lot of sized stuff within a few weeks, if I had gotten sized.

I'd say it would depend on the baby, though, because if you have a smaller baby (probably 7lbs or less), it might be a better idea to have some smaller sized covers or fitteds, since I know those skinny little things can drown in too much bulk, and cause a lot of leaks.

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
LilRedRooster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With mine, it was so much cheaper and easier for me start with prefolds and covers. I started with 12 OsoCozy infant prefolds, 12 Ecobobum one-size prefolds, 3 Econobum one-size covers, and 4 Thirsties size 1 Duo wraps. The Thirsties and OsoCozy prefolds fit trimly and lasted until she was at least 5 months old, and she put on weight very quickly. I know now that it was a good idea that I went with what I did, because she would have outgrown a lot of sized stuff within a few weeks, if I had gotten sized.

I'd say it would depend on the baby, though, because if you have a smaller baby (probably 7lbs or less), it might be a better idea to have some smaller sized covers or fitteds, since I know those skinny little things can drown in too much bulk, and cause a lot of leaks.

Last edited by LilRedRooster; 02-25-2011 at 09:40 AM.
LilRedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love pfs for a nb. I jelly roll fold and snappi and I have never had a leak onto the cover.

As for other dipes--well aio I liked but my lo grew out of them in 3 weeks and they started leaking. Fitteds although more exp are a nice option to have for easy change--there are some nice inexpensive fitteds out there under $12.

I think with new baby coming in Aug I will do mostly prefolds --gmd oranges, flats (from gmd) and some fitteds. I am debating on getting AIO bc mine do grow out of them pretty fast and I hear reviews on leaks on most AIO.

PFs are alot easier then they sound and I never had a problem with them.

As for prepping--If you buy new the prepping process may seem to take forever. You typically have to wash and dry them 7 times for max absorbancy.

GL
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
Luna Lair
Registered Users
Formerly: MissHanson8
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! I actually just ordered a GroVia for my 2 1/2yr old DD and used it on her last night and it worked GREAT! She only pee'd but I didn't wake up in a timely manner, completely forgot she was wearing it, so she was a little red. Is it ok to put pure cornstarch powder on a cloth disper? I read you shouldn't use any creams or powder but cornstarch is ok, is that right?

I might look into getting a few fitteds and aio's then for ease at night and out and about. How many of those and how many pf and covers do you think would be good to get? Should I wait for him to get here so I know how big/small he'll be? I'M SO CONFUSED!!
Luna Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #15
Luna Lair
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, is there anyone who has any of these items for sale that I could look at? I do also have those goodmamas to get rid of, they are all girly ones. If you have sales or trades I'd love to see!!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi there mama,
If you want to get fitteds, Little Lions has some fitteds for $6 each or $66 for a dozen. It says they are $9/$98 for single/dozen but after you add them to your cart they are cheaper. It's part of their "secret sale" I guess. I got a dozen of the classic fitteds in size small for my newbie due in May. I like them - they're really soft and are all cotton. I think they might eventually need a doubler but that's okay. I think they were worth the price and convenience factor. They also have PFs, snappis, covers, etc if you wanted to consolidate your ordering. HTH!
Justine
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
easywaymom
Registered Users

I'm going more the prefold route myself because the idea of trying to clean, dry and trouble shoot stinky AIO's with a nb does not appeal to me. That being said, I'm still ordering a variety just in case and so any friends and family that help out in the beginning will have some options to grab for. I *think* I'll be investing in more covers with flats/prefolds in the next size up, but I might find I like the other systems better. I'm def going to snappi bcuz I can just see ebf poo leaking all around the edge of a tri fold and that defeats the beauty of a PUL inner cover. I figure I can always use the smaller prefolds as doublers as we grow and save some $$ that way.
easywaymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
Luna Lair
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So what is the difference between a prefold and a flat? I thought they were the same??
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
easywaymom
Registered Users

A prefold is the smaller sized, thicker type that you tri fold or snappi. A flat is a big, generally one size, rectangle (much bigger!) that you fold all fancy (origami, kite) to accomodate different age/shape child. So you would have to buy several dozen prefolds in each size as baby grows, but for less $$ you cann just buy a few doz flats and they will grow with baby. Green Mountain Diapers has some good pice and diagrams to compare and there are lots of youtube videos showing how to fold a flat. I'm going with a mix to start. It might turn out the flats are too complicated but I like the idea of investing only once instead of constantly buying a new stash size.
easywaymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #20
TexasMelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've used prefolds and covers only for our daughter (born January 6th, 2011, 7 lbs 1 oz) and I love them.

I bought 36 preemie prefolds because I had already bought 24 infant and they looked really big. I also bought 5 Thirsties covers in XS.

It took a bit of time to get the hang of folding the prefolds. I found the best way to keep the newborn poop in (I EBF) was to do a jelly roll fold and then use a Snappi. I did start out just tri-folding the prefold and placing it in the cover but it almost always leaked out onto the cover.

I found that 36 prefolds were just about right to wash about every other day or so with a newborn. I did end up wishing I had 7 covers instead of 5 in the beginning but once I used the jelly roll fold, 5 were plenty and now at 7 weeks I think I would be fine with 3. But I LOVE having the five colors to choose from. LOL

I don't intend to use anything but prefolds and flats with covers for our daughter. I love them - they are super easy and really quite inexpensive!
TexasMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote