Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
Luna Lair
Registered Users
Formerly: MissHanson8
seller

My Mood:
Re: NB help. Are prefolds and covers the way to go?

Do you have any links as to what a jelly roll is? The sweet mamma I bought the NB fitted from threw in a snappi so I have that, now I guess I just need the prefolds.

Advertisement

Luna Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #22
Luna Lair
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nevermind!! I just googled it, and I got it now!!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #23
mitre10
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did pfs and covers exclusively when DS was a NB, and it was great. We had to snappi, not trifold, since he was full of poosplosions and it worked perfectly. This time around, I'm going to get some AIOs as well for simplicity at nights or squirmy times, but that's not necessary.

To prep them, wash and dry them a bunch.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #24
niadara
Registered Users
seller

Now that DD is nearly 4 weeks old, I can throw in my opinion.
I have preemie and infant prefolds and plenty of covers (mix of homemade and bought), made a ton of fitteds and bought some, have 3 AIOs (BG XS and Dreameze S).

1) Size of baby matters. DD weighed 6lb 4.5oz and everything was too big on her. I mean everything. I had to go out and buy preemie pampers. THe preemie prefolds with a snappi fit her, but the preemie covers were way too big. I ended up buying Bummi Superbrite covers which actually DO fit. I would totally recommend those if you expect a smaller baby. Btw, I tried coverless as mentioned so often, my DD could pee through a preemie PF in seconds... Even if I used two of them it took about an hour to soak them.

2) Infant prefolds with covers work well, I really like it. You do not want to trifold with smaller kiddos, as I have to fold down some of the length of it to make it fit. I suppose I could trifold once she gets bigger as I made a gazillion of covers and can afford for them to get poop on them.

3) The BG XS fits her now, and it is a breeze, but I wouldn't invest in a whole stash, that would be too pricey. She wore it for 5 hours last nigth (what a nice stretch of sleep!) and it did not leak at all. The Dreameze (now Grovia) fits her now too. The convenience is great... I also made newborn sized pockets and AIOs and they are great for the night, especially since they have stay-dry fabric (microfleece/suedecloth) if one is not opposed to that...

4) I made fitteds but I feel prefolds are much more absorbant. I don't care much for those fitteds now, but hubbie does. I guess I will use the soakers from those as doublers (I made them to be snap in soakers for easy drying, fitteds take forever). I alsos have some Kissaluvs 1 and small Thirsties fab fitteds - they are way too big right now, so no opinion yet. I just know they took forever in the dryer...

Bottom line: prefolds and covers work well and are cheap. For more luxurious stashes, go with XS bumgeniuses or similar sized AIOs.
niadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #25
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought pfs and covers were what I wanted for my nb. DD was almost 8 lbs so I didnt expect a super small baby. I skipped the preemies and got infants and thirsties duos.

DS was born 9 pounds so not small at all. He is however, long and skinny, so the infant pfs are super bulky on him. We even waited til 2 wks for the cord to fall out and they were still bulky. I have LL and GMD flats too and I can't even imagine how huge they would be on him.
I am using cheapy Gerber flats under the covers for now, they fit better than anything else.

The infant pfs do *fit* him, but I dont like bulk. If you don't mind it, then pfs are fine
Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #26
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

I stick with prefolds and wool for the newborn stage. We have a couple smaller fitteds, but they just aren't worth it, IMO. NBs go through diapers SO quickly, it seems a waste to me otherwise. PFs, snappi'd and covered with wool is our go-to CD method for NBs.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
kidsDaddy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachtothestars View Post
The only traditional prefolds I have are toddler size ones and they are way too big on my toddler that is almost 3.
Where did your prefolds come from?

How much does your toddler weigh? My daughter is delayed so has not potty trained yet. Her mom uses sposies and I want to try to talk her into using cloth or at least giving it a shot if I flip the cost for them. I was thinking a thirsties duo with prefold. I was able to see action shots of a 9 month old but nothing that would give me an idea for my daughter.

My spouse (we are currently seperated)... her biggest complaint was the extra cost of washing at the laundromat and they are more bulky. I have two styles picked out that I want to try but will start a new thread for that as to not hijack this one

Posted an intro and updated my profile for what I can right now.
kidsDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #28
laceyj417
Registered Users
seller

we didn't start cloth until DD was almost 2 months old so i have no real experience with nb sizes. new baby due in may and we're doing prefolds/covers because they're cheap and we already have a bunch of OS diapers that will fit a little later.
laceyj417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #29
Luna Lair
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone!! My little man was born yesterday at a whopping 9lbs so I'm glad I waited to buy anything!! I will be getting so prefolds and a few covers, then os pockets will be my next move!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #30
sammytomato
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've said it before but it bears repeating. I wish I'd skipped the prefolds and just bought an extra dozen flats. For me, they just fit better, are more absorbent, wash and dry quicker and I don't have to worry about sizing up. Yes they take a little longer to fold, but with practice, it really doesn't take that long.
sammytomato is offline   Reply With Quote