Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Chagen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Weight gain while breastfeeding

I am now nursing my third baby and once again I am packing on the pounds as bear preparing to hibernate would. I talked to my OB about this while I was pregnant, I knew that it would be coming and she suggested not eating the extra recommended calories a day. That is what I have done and still here I am puffen up. I am already not a weight that is healthy and these extra lbs are putting a hurting on my body (joints) and my emotional state. My little guy is only 8.5 months old and I strongly believe in child led weaning but I feel myself torn between my health and my baby's. With my DD and this little man I got 5 lbs from PP weight (with in 2 months pp) and then POOF here comes the weight. No change in diet just my metabolism I guess. I think I eat healthy... rarely fast food or processed food (I make our meals), whole wheat, low sugar, drink herbal tea and water (occasionally a soda) but I look like I sit on the couch and eat donuts all day. With my two oldest as soon as they wean I immediately dropped 10 lbs and then some more slowly came off without any effort. With my oldest I started to walk a mile a day then two and then three, a good chunk of it up hill. I would also do cardio 3 times a week for an hour but it made no difference. After 3 months of it and me continuing to gain weight I gave up. I never tried to really work out to lose weight while nursing again, that experience was very discouraging. I am tired all the time and when I exercise I feel I waist my precious mommy energy on it and I am not as good as a mom because I am exhausted and then the house work suffers too... I have had my thyroid checked it is fine but they want to check it again after I am not nursing. However, that does not help me now. Any ideas of whats going on or what I can do? I am feeling pretty sad these days and really need to figure something out. I feel helpless.

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
sdyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weight gain while breastfeeding

I am so sorry. I completely understand you though. I am in a very similar boat. I have been pregnant for about 80 month in a row. The first pregnancy, my daughter was stillborn and I was at my heaviest (grief weight plus stress). Then I became pregnant 2 months later and gained an additional 40 lbs. Since having DS about 5 weeks ago, I lost that pregnancy weight, but am now seeing the scale go UP! I can't work out right now for various reasons. . . I had an emergency section with him and am still recovering, also we are about to list our house for sale (more stress), DH is unemployed (more stress) and we are trying to figure out how we can manage w/o me having to go to work. I home school and with a newborn, I can't imagine letting someone else take care of him & have to put the older kids in a school system they have never been in before.

I guess, for me, weight stays on and is added with my stress level. SO, these past two years I am very very unhealthy. I used to belong to a gym, but when DH was laid off (14 months ago) that was one thing that we stopped doing to save money. I also find it very hard on my body, the weight is just hard to deal with. That and the self esteem issues that accompany it for me. I used to weigh 50 lbs less than I do now.

I don't have answers, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

Last edited by sdyer; 02-27-2011 at 09:44 AM.
sdyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I could have written your post. As much as it breaks my heart, it looks like we'll be weaning shortly after her first birthday because I am in so much pain from being overweight and I HATE how I feel and look.
I feel like it is her right to be breastfed for a year, but after that it's just icing on the cake. And in this case, I HAVE to take care of myself so I can be a good mama.

I've got 2 more months. And it breaks my heart.
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
mkekaty
Registered Users
seller

I'm doing WW for nursing moms and the scale is going down. I thought I was eating healthy, but now I realize that you can eat too many "healthy" things. I would look into it!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkekaty View Post
I'm doing WW for nursing moms and the scale is going down. I thought I was eating healthy, but now I realize that you can eat too many "healthy" things. I would look into it!
I found that when I kept a food diary and added up the calories, even healthy things add up really fast. Nursing makes me ravenous so it's so easy to eat a lot.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was 10lbs from prepregnacy weight and then I got the Mirena iud...yeah.. I've gained about 8lbs, I just hate how I look right now. Exercise isn't helping but my diet could use more improvement, I'm just so hungry, and I won't starve myself, so I eat.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with weight watchers (or keeping a food diary on your own for free). Also, try to work the exercise into your schedule - you will actually have more energy once you get into the habit of exercising. You don't have to go to the gym, either. You can walk around your neighborhood or the mall, play with older kiddos (yours or neighbors' or nieces/nephews, etc) at the park. Even a few minutes of exercise is good for you!

And remember nursing isn't all-or-nothing. You can cut back nursing after baby turns 1 and still keep a few nursing sessions if you want.

Good luck and

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Have you mamas had your thyroid checked? I lose weight during pregnancy and gain weight during nursing, and just recently discovered with my new MW that I have slight hyperthyroidism during pregnancy which becomes hypothyroidism postpartum. She says its fairly common. Its not the nursing at all, it would probably happen regardless.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

I noticed that I tend to eat more when I'm nursing. I'm ok with it since I don't want to be hungry so even if I gain a few pounds I'm still nursing
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
lindma
Registered Users
seller

Iam going through the same thing. I talked to my doctor about it, and of course we think were eating healthy and were not. He also said to count cals. Only eat 1800 Cals a day and I should start shedding off some pounds.. Its so hard for me to count cals, iam a snacker, and with a two year old running around, I grab a snack for him then grab one for me .. good luck.
lindma is offline   Reply With Quote