Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
Binah Birth
Registered Users
Formerly: Sew Cute Creations
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weight gain while breastfeeding

I don't really have any suggestions, but I feel your pain. My pre-preg weight with #1 was 202. I only gained 30 lbs or so, and most was fluids and because my MWs made me eat a lot because they cared about the scale more than me. Supplement shakes and everything. I got pregnant when DS was 11.5 mon and I was at 212 (but really fluffy - I was insatiable when I was nursing). DS weaned at 9 weeks in and the scale plummeted. I am now almost 31 weeks with #2 and I am at 211. People are JUST starting to realize I'm pregnant b/c I really don't look any different. The flab is just being replaced by baby. Luckily I'm working with different MWs this time, so hopefully I will end up starting my nursing career at a lower weight. But I know it's coming...and I try to fight it, but sometimes our bodies keep it there just because they want to. It sucks. I'm hoping chasing a toddler will help me not eat so much.....oh, and I am a closely monitored hypothyroid patient. My endo sees me every 6-8 weeks and does labs about every month. I had to have my meds adjusted 6 times in the 13 months I nursed.

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
DWA
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm doing Jenny Craig. Instead of the 1200 calorie program mine is 1700 to account fir breastfeeding. I have lost 10 lbs this month and haven't seen any dip in supply.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tend to do the same thing. It's very frustrating! Finally with my last baby I had weight loss success with WW and exercise while nursing. One thing that kind of surprised me once I started tracking my intake was that I was actually not eating enough, and I think that may have been causing my metabolism to plummet. I noticed the weight came off better when I was sure to eat every single point/calorie coming to me. I started out only doing the dietary part, just tracking every single thing I ate and trying to make all good choices, getting the 5-7 fruits and veggies a day, drinking lots of water, plenty of dairy and whole grains, etc. After doing that for a few weeks I slowly added in exercise. I started out walking 2-3 miles a few times a week. Then I added in some jogging spurts to my walks and also started lifting weights 3 days a week. That's when I really started seeing a change. My energy soared, the weight loss really kicked in, and I had enough stamina/energy to switch to mostly running 5-6 days a week. I don't know what it is, but something about running really boosts my metabolism/makes the weight come off for me. It felt hard and awkward the first few times I went, but I would just do what I could each time and then stop and walk to catch my breath till eventually I was mostly running. It also got easier and easier the more weight that I lost.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
majors3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So glad to come across this thread!! It seems like all my friends that have had babies seemed to lose their weight right away and some even got thinner than before! So unfair! That is definitely not my case. With my first DD I also could not lost weight, even doing exercise 3x's a week and eating a healthy vegan diet, until she started solids, and then started only nursing 2x's a day. Both of those transitions immediately dropped me 5 pounds! I really think it must be hormonal! I just have to keep in my head that this is only for a season and my children are more important than my image in the mirror! I do think exercise is almost more important than diet though, just to keep your stamina and muscle tone up. I say this because I have not consitently exercised and have lost a lot of muscle tone because of it.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally understand. The scale just isn't moving down for me either.

How are you sleeping? I know that when I am overtired (like from being up ALL night, for 7 months straight) that I eat more during the day, plus the thought of exercising is just ridiculous when you are so sleep deprived. I finally had DH take over night wakings (b/c DD is old enough to go longer at night without eating, she will just go back to sleep if she sees DH but she will cry more if I go in there) and wow does it make a difference in how I feel and eat. As a bonus, DD is happier b/c she is sleeping more at night. I feel lighter already...

Good luck.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #16
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
I totally understand. The scale just isn't moving down for me either.

How are you sleeping? I know that when I am overtired (like from being up ALL night, for 7 months straight) that I eat more during the day, plus the thought of exercising is just ridiculous when you are so sleep deprived. I finally had DH take over night wakings (b/c DD is old enough to go longer at night without eating, she will just go back to sleep if she sees DH but she will cry more if I go in there) and wow does it make a difference in how I feel and eat. As a bonus, DD is happier b/c she is sleeping more at night. I feel lighter already...

Good luck.
The sleeping thing is SO, SO true. It's why people who work the night shift tend to gain weight more easily. When you're tired, you eat. It's just the way humans work. I know that's a big part of my problem, since I have the firstborn who never sleeps.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
bekahjo21
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410
I was 10lbs from prepregnacy weight and then I got the Mirena iud...yeah.. I've gained about 8lbs, I just hate how I look right now. Exercise isn't helping but my diet could use more improvement, I'm just so hungry, and I won't starve myself, so I eat.
I had a Mirena too and hated it. I had so many side affects. Weight gain being one them. I feel your pain. :-(
bekahjo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
happychappy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i know what you mean. :P i actually just had a thread myself with the same issues. boo! and its like i know how to lose weight yet here i am gaining and holding fast. wish i had some advice to offer. still looking for a solution for myself. i run 4x a week roughly 4miles each eat good and here i am expanding. i actually think Shreck had a good point for me::

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreck View Post
One thing that kind of surprised me once I started tracking my intake was that I was actually not eating enough, and I think that may have been causing my metabolism to plummet. I noticed the weight came off better when I was sure to eat every single point/calorie coming to me.
i've been forcing myself to eat more and actually indulge and this weekend actually allowed myself some not so good food and lost 1lb! i'm going to start trying to eat more of course healthier options, but maybe i just need more food otherwise my body goes into starvation mode?

i only wish exercise gave me energy. it totally drains me and makes me grumpy. although i found when i do less intense workouts i do better, but i always feel like i have to give it my absolute all when working out... but i think ironically much like my food intake the more i do or control the more it works against me. its like i get more rewarded for my laziness not entirely but if i get more and do less it seems like my body is reacting better.

weird. i know.
happychappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happychappy View Post
i know what you mean. :P i actually just had a thread myself with the same issues. boo! and its like i know how to lose weight yet here i am gaining and holding fast. wish i had some advice to offer. still looking for a solution for myself. i run 4x a week roughly 4miles each eat good and here i am expanding. i actually think Shreck had a good point for me::

i've been forcing myself to eat more and actually indulge and this weekend actually allowed myself some not so good food and lost 1lb! i'm going to start trying to eat more of course healthier options, but maybe i just need more food otherwise my body goes into starvation mode?

i only wish exercise gave me energy. it totally drains me and makes me grumpy. although i found when i do less intense workouts i do better, but i always feel like i have to give it my absolute all when working out... but i think ironically much like my food intake the more i do or control the more it works against me. its like i get more rewarded for my laziness not entirely but if i get more and do less it seems like my body is reacting better.

weird. i know.
Yeah for losing a pound! I know it's so weird to think that if you eat more that it can help the pounds come off. It took me years to realize it, but I know that is how my body works while nursing. It's hard and takes extra effort for me to eat enough, which sounds crazy because I love to eat. It's just so easy to get side tracked with caring for a tiny baby that I can easily forget to feed myself. This time, I'm setting up a basket next to my nursing chair in my bedroom that is filled with granola & protein bars, nuts, peanut butter crackers, fruit cups, and bottled waters.

Along those same lines, going easy on the exercise makes sense too. My last nursling was a little older by the time I got into heavy exercising, so I don't how quickly I'll be able to jump back into it without adverse effects. I also agree on the sleep thing. Definitely not getting enough sleep puts my metabolism in slow gear as well. Praying for a good sleeper!

Hope you have success on your weight loss/fitness journey!
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote