Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
gracie1025
Registered Users
seller

DELETE - nevermind, I found better stats someone else did!

NEVERMIND!!! I found my answer.....Check out this great resource: http://www.granolababies.com/cloth-v...co-diapers.pdf

Edited with NEW numbers!

Hi all, so when I looked into cloth diapers I did it to save money. But all of the estimates I looked at in my research didn't really take into account what a couponer would spend. So I redid the statistics and I am showing that sposies are the cheapest route??? That doesn't really make any sense to me. I think even if you don't go the route of cheaper prefolds and fitteds, there still has to be a way I am wrong with these numbers. I worked out these numbers for an article for my blog....would you mind looking at this to see if maybe I calculated wrong??? I am really insecure with my cloth numbers, especially since I stick to mostly AIOs, AI2s, and pockets (and I even think those figures are way off!)
(SEE RANKING OF DIAPER COSTS AT BOTTOM OF POST)

* diaper prices I used: GMDs, Thirsties cover, GroVia AIO, Fuzzibunz, Bumgenius, Softbums...I know I could go cheaper...wasn't sure if I should??
Thanks!

"One of the biggest (ok fine, the ONLY) things that converted me to cloth was the price. However, when I was in the process of making the decision, I knew in my gut that the supposed ďcost of sposiesĒ statistics out there werenít really accurate since I was a couponer. Many of the sites I went to averaged diapers at .20-.40 each. I know that even with a trip to Costco, diapers are .14 each. So I decided to create this post to look at Cloth Diapering vs. Disposable diapering from a frugal perspective. I chose FOUR different approaches: disposable diapering without couponing, disposable diapering with couponing, frugal cloth diapering, and not-so-frugal cloth diapering.

Disposable Diapers
The first statistic to consider when using disposables is that you donít need to change them as much. Therefore, you cannot use the same numbers when looking at price comparisons. So for our analysis, we will use the following statistics provided by kidsgrowth.com

* 0-1 mo: 10-12 changes = 300 - 360 diapers
* 1-5 mo: 8-10 changes = 960 - 1200
* 5-9 mo: 8 changes = 960
* 9-12 mo: 8 changes = 720
* 12-24 months: 6 changes = 1080

This means that for 24 months of disposable diapering, you can expect to use 4020 - 4320 diapers total.

Disposable Diapering Without Sales
Based on these numbers, we can assume that using disposables at a non-frugal rate (letís just say .25/per diaper -based on the current price at Target.com), which means to diaper a baby from birth to 24 months costs $1005- $1080

Disposable Diapering WITH Sales
The best deals I have found for disposable diapering are at amazon.com. You can generally find a good deal for a diaper at about $0.15/diaper and then with Subscribe and Save you get an extra 30% off of that, making it $0.11/diaper. This means that to diaper a baby from birth to 24 months using couponing deals such as amazon, you pay $442.20 - $475.20.

Cloth Diapering
When considering cloth diapering, we need to take into account that you generally want to change the diaper every 2-3 hours (except when baby sleeps through the night). This is because the cloth diapers arenít laced with chemicals intended to mask the pee. Based on estimates at Kellyís Closet:
For a two day supply of diapers (assuming you wash every other day, but you can go every three days)
Newborn to 4 months - 20 - 24 diapers
Infant (4 to 10 months) - 16 - 20 diapers
Toddler (10 months to potty training) - 12 - 16 diapers

Laundry costs:
You can get a very accurate estimate of laundry costs at this website. For the purposes of these estimates, you can figure it costs $.75 to run each load with drying, or just $.50 if you line dry. If you wash every other day for two years, this means that you pay $182.50 - $284.70 in laundry.

Cloth Diapering
New Sized All in Ones and Pockets ( such as Fuzzibunz and Bumgenius)
For people wanting to cloth diaper the not-so-frugal way, they may chose pocket diapers or all in one diapers, all of these sized (this means instead of buying a diaper that adjusts its size with something like snaps, you have the diaper already sized).
These are generally somewhere between $16 and $20 dollars. With this in mind, we could calculate that it would be:
Newborn: $320 - $480 for diapers
3 months: $256 - $400 for diapers
12 months to potty training: $292 - $256 for diapers
This means that to cloth diaper a baby in brand new all in ones or pocket diapers, you can pay roughly $868 - $1136 (excluding laundry)

There are some other number figures you could consider:
1) Selling Diapers: Cloth diapers sell for about 50-70% of their original value. Therefore, if you sell these diapers you can expect to pay a net of $260- 568
2) You can BUY these diapers used and pay about 50-70% of their original cost, making it $260-$568 to get your stash.
3) If you sell the diapers that you bought used, then you can expect to have to doc 20% off for wear and paypal fees/shipping. This means you would net $52 - $114
4) Donít forget to take into account if you have multiple children and reuse these diapers for those children

One Size Fits All Pockets and All in One (such as Fuzzibunz and GroVia)
The one size pockets and AIOs cost around $20-$22 each
Therefore, for 20-24 diapers you would pay $400 - $528 (excluding laundry)

1) Selling Diapers: Cloth diapers sell for about 50-70% of their original value. Therefore, if you sell these diapers you can expect to pay a net of $80- $264
2) You can BUY these diapers used and pay about 50-70% of their original cost, making it $200-$423 to get your stash.
3) If you sell the diapers that you bought used, then you can expect to have to doc 20% off for wear and paypal fees/shipping. This means you would net $40 - $85
4) Donít forget to take into account if you have multiple children and reuse these diapers for those children

Cheaper Pockets
Sunbabies OS Pocket diapers fit children up to 30 lbs.. Sunbabies are approximately 4.50 a diaper.
30 diapers x 4.50 per diaper= $135 dollars
This could essential get you through to potty learning. Add in extra inserts for extra 20 bucks and we're at $155.
1) Selling Diapers: Cloth diapers sell for about 50-70% of their original value. Therefore, if you sell these diapers you can expect to pay a net of $46.50- $77.50
2) You can BUY these diapers used and pay about 50-70% of their original cost, making it $77.50-$105 to get your stash.
3) If you sell the diapers that you bought used, then you can expect to have to doc 20% off for wear and paypal fees/shipping. This means you would net $9.50-$15.50

Prefolds and Covers
Using prefolds is one of the most economical options for cloth diapering. You can get prefolds
Prefolds $46/2 dozen
Covers $104 for 8
This means that to use prefolds on a baby you would pay roughly $150 (excluding laundry)

1) Selling Diapers: Prefolds do not sell too well, since it costs a lot to pay to ship the heavy prefolds. But if you sell on Craigslist, you can sell for about 50% off, making your net $75
2) You can BUY these diapers used and pay about 50% of the original cost, making it $75 to get your stash.
3) If you sell the diapers that you bought used, then you can expect to have to doc 20% off for wear and paypal fees/shipping. This means you would net $15

AI2
An all in two is another possibility for a diaper. It is similar to a prefold system, but the inserts are snapped in, so they are a little more secured in the diaper (so it seems like an all in two). A basic pack for an all in two is roughly $26 and includes a cover and 3 inserts. This means for 24 diaper changes it would cost $208 (excluding laundry)

1) Selling Diapers: Cloth diapers sell for about 50-70% of their original value. Therefore, if you sell these diapers you can expect to pay a net of $79-$104
2) You can BUY these diapers used and pay about 50%-70% of the original cost, making it $79-$104 to get your stash.
3) If you sell the diapers that you bought used, then you can expect to have to doc 20% off for wear and paypal fees/shipping. This means you would net $15.80-$20.80

Couponing Cloth
* There are crazy deals on cloth that you can come up on occasionally. For example, at the moment, there are Amazon deals with 20% off that can be stacked together and also stacked with a $10 off coupon. This means people are buying pocket diapers for under $4!
* In addition to this, people can cash in Swagbucks for Amazon gift cards. I get a $5 gift card every two weeks. Therefore, if I started saving up my gift cards at 3 months pregnant, then I would have half of a supply (at least) by the time baby came. If I use these Amazon coupons, I could probably get close to a full supply for free.
* It is also important to note that there are surveys you could fill out for Amazon money (ipsos i-say, opinion outpost, etc).
* There are also various deals at cloth diapering retailers. Like my retailer almost always has 10% off. Or right now there is an Econobum deal where you get 2 covers and 2 prefolds for only $9.99.
* Yes, these same deals could go for disposable diaper users; HOWEVER, it is important to consider the fact that cloth diapers can be resold, disposables cannot

Diaper costs by rank
(adding $200 for laundry)
1. Used Prefolds and Selling = $15
2. New Prefolds and selling = $75
3. Used One size fits all pockets and AIO = $240-285
4. Used AIO and Pockets = $252 - $314
5. New One sized pockets and AIO = $280- $464
6. New AI2 and Selling = $279-$304
7. Used AI2 and Selling - $215.80-$220.80
8. Disposables Couponing = $442.20-$475.20
9. New AIO and Pockets and selling = $460- 568
10. Disposables Not couponing Best net = $1005-1080

Advertisement

Padded Tush Stats reviews are based on survey responses from many mamas and are sorted based on different baby characteristics (heavy wetter, chunky, etc). Come fill out a quick survey or check out a review! http://www.paddedtushstats.com/

Last edited by gracie1025; 02-27-2011 at 07:36 PM.
gracie1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
rescueremedies
Banned

Re: Need help - calculations show sposies are cheaper?

Well, I think It also depends on how many times a day your baby poops, and if they are going to daycare they change at certain intervals regardless if they need changing or not. Also, different area have different pricing, and if you have a heavy wetter, cheap generic sposies won't even cut it. I was floored when I went to Target the other day and saw that the Mega pack of size fours pampers has like 62 diapers for $20 ON SALE!! So I did the numbers and justified my new Ragababe stash because $80 a month for disposables for the next year, and I'm still saving money. I never noticed a major increase in water bill, and with an HE washer and 1 tsp. of detergent a $10 box of country save is 160 loads or more. I'm just spouting things as I think so sorry if this is disorganized, haha Also, depending on how quickly a baby goes up a size in diapers it could be more or less money in sposies because you get less diapers as the sizes go up. My almost 1 yr old nephew can still wear size 1-2 while my 16 mo toddler would need 4-5 and has been that size since 8 mo.

ETA: My baby still drinks about 4-5 bottles of cow's milk a day and we change about 7 times per day

Last edited by rescueremedies; 02-27-2011 at 05:05 PM.
rescueremedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

All I can say is that from 12-24mos there is no way even using disposables I would only use 2-4 diapers a day. 2 diapers? Seriously? so one for daytime and one for night?!! ewww! 5 diapers seems reasonable. 1 for night and then 1 for every 3 hours they are awake.

The total you have for disposables with NO couponing seems really low. So less than $20 per month? I suppose diapers are cheaper in the US but I saw a box of diapers on sale in our super cheap superstore last night for 156 size 4's for $32. I think at VERY best, even with coupons, you could do it for $30 a month in Canada. So $750 assuming you had a child potty trained by 2ish.

I calculated my cost of a wash/dry and inc detergent cost at 40cents.

Having said all that, I think in the US you probably can use disposables just as cheaply.
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

People who coupon tend to get things for next to nothing or find a way to get as close to nothing as possible. So, if someone were a couponer and buying disposable diapers, I would totally expect them to spend less on disposables than cloth. However, a couponing mom could also figure out ways to get cloth diapers super cheap, and that aspect isn't included at all. There are Buy 2, Get 1 Free deals, which would make 3 $17 diapers $34 instead of $51. There are also the B1G1, or seconds, and then there's making your own and buying used. I think if you're looking at the frugal aspect of disposables, you should do the same with cloth, not just for the prefolds.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
craezie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used sposies on DS #1 until he was over 1 and have used them for 2 weeks a year for him and our other son when we are on vacation. And I absolutely cannot fathom any child being changed at the lower end of your range and not having a completely negligent parent--either they are being left to sit in their own waste or they are not receiving enough liquid or fiber in their diet. I mean 2 diapers a day? Sposie or not, that is just A normal healthy child should poop at least 2x a day. So your calculations are still way off based on using a ridiculously low amount of dipes per day. Having extensive experience using both types of diapers, I would say a child should be changed about the same amount with either kind, with the possible exception of using a few more cloth in the newborn stage.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
craezie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
People who coupon tend to get things for next to nothing or find a way to get as close to nothing as possible. So, if someone were a couponer and buying disposable diapers, I would totally expect them to spend less on disposables than cloth. However, a couponing mom could also figure out ways to get cloth diapers super cheap, and that aspect isn't included at all. There are Buy 2, Get 1 Free deals, which would make 3 $17 diapers $34 instead of $51. There are also the B1G1, or seconds, and then there's making your own and buying used. I think if you're looking at the frugal aspect of disposables, you should do the same with cloth, not just for the prefolds.
Very true, I have a birth to potty learning stash, bought all new, that only cost about $350. It is a mixture of prefolds (a dozen of 4 sizes), newborn fitteds, Thirsties and Blueberry covers, pockets, and AIOs. Everything I have was bought from seconds sales or really good Black Friday sales (like when they had BG Elementals for $15 each). I also used to coupon for sposies, although I will say that the recent prices we have been seeing around .11 a diaper are not at all usual or realistic for normal times. Prior to Amazon "attacking" the baby market, the normal coupon price was around .18-.20 each.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Uh, I think the statistics for how many disposables used per day is WAY on the low side. With even for a toddler I'd be using the amount for what you say for a 1-3 month old. When my first was a baby and we used sposies for the first month I'm pretty sure we changed more like 12 diapers a day? 2-4 for a toddler?

If you are willing to do the work to go find the super duper disposable deals and money is your sole driving purpose for CDing, then that might be a good option for you. If you have other motives for CDing, then you need to consider how those factors play in. I think disposables or cloth can be as cheap or as expensive as you make them. I have a friend that literally spent $150 on her cloth diapers when her dd was born and she's still using them now that her dd is a toddler.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
gracie1025
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by craezie View Post
I used sposies on DS #1 until he was over 1 and have used them for 2 weeks a year for him and our other son when we are on vacation. And I absolutely cannot fathom any child being changed at the lower end of your range and not having a completely negligent parent--either they are being left to sit in their own waste or they are not receiving enough liquid or fiber in their diet. I mean 2 diapers a day? Sposie or not, that is just A normal healthy child should poop at least 2x a day. So your calculations are still way off based on using a ridiculously low amount of dipes per day. Having extensive experience using both types of diapers, I would say a child should be changed about the same amount with either kind, with the possible exception of using a few more cloth in the newborn stage.
OK, THANK YOU!!! This is what I thought when I found the numbers. I went to different websites and they said the same. I think the "2" refers to potty training. But even the 3 month numbers seem WAY low. ISH, this is so hard to figure out, but I want to be as accurate as possible!
Padded Tush Stats reviews are based on survey responses from many mamas and are sorted based on different baby characteristics (heavy wetter, chunky, etc). Come fill out a quick survey or check out a review! http://www.paddedtushstats.com/
gracie1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if ur changing a newborn only 5-9 times a day either ur not changing them anough or they arent eating enough...
and the "calculation" doesnt rank in health for ur child or the planet....
there is no way in that disposies r cheaper unless u buy dipes for 35 bux a pop...
Old 02-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Chagen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to also chime in and say not all babies can use a certain disposable. My DD is severely allergic to something in Pampers. I didn't cloth diaper my first and Huggies sucked for him. He peed A LOT and we even had to buy night time diapers (that didn't solve the problem but help?) so we had to do pee sheets, blankets, clothes laundry every day. I guess what I am trying to say is that you may get stuck having to use a certain brand (because of allergies or them not working for the baby) and you may not be able to coupon as you would like... I could be wrong through, I don't coupon. Also if you wanted to be frugal you could use flats... one size fits all and they are pretty cheap. You could also buy your diapers and covers used and save money, I know you did that math... there also seconds out there. I use only flats and prefolds... I never bought each size in prefolds. I didn't have the money too with DD. I bough the basic infant size then skipped a size, got GMD brown edge, and that lasted us to potty training was done. We used the infant prefolds as doublers. As far as covers go, you *could* go with dappies, Litewraps or even gerber vinyl/plastic (whatever they are) pants they are all cheaper. There are also cover that grow with baby so you will only have to buy them once. Sorry its random, just getting it all out before the kids need me again. good luck.