Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
gracie1025
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need help - calculations show sposies are cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
People who coupon tend to get things for next to nothing or find a way to get as close to nothing as possible. So, if someone were a couponer and buying disposable diapers, I would totally expect them to spend less on disposables than cloth. However, a couponing mom could also figure out ways to get cloth diapers super cheap, and that aspect isn't included at all. There are Buy 2, Get 1 Free deals, which would make 3 $17 diapers $34 instead of $51. There are also the B1G1, or seconds, and then there's making your own and buying used. I think if you're looking at the frugal aspect of disposables, you should do the same with cloth, not just for the prefolds.
That's a great point!!! I know I always buy cloth with a sale.

I also realized that I didn't take into account wipes!

Advertisement

Padded Tush Stats reviews are based on survey responses from many mamas and are sorted based on different baby characteristics (heavy wetter, chunky, etc). Come fill out a quick survey or check out a review! http://www.paddedtushstats.com/
gracie1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
turtlejd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The number of diapers I think is WAY low.

I've used sposies with 2 kids and there's no way I could have gotten away with that few for every age group. My 2.5 year old is in diapers and we go through at least 4 diapers a day, and that's when we forget to change him. It's usually about 6-8 for my 2.5 year old. He will pee through them if we leave them on, and if they get too full and my little guy's bouncing around too much, we have had them explode. Diapers also get more expensive when the size increases. It is also assuming your LO potty trains at 2 which I don't think most kids in sposies do. And that all these amazon codes will continue to be active for the next 2+ years.

I also think if you're into couponing or cding to save money, then you'd find a way to make it cheaper. There's the GMD economy kit that has diapering from birth to potty just over $200.
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/...htm#economykit
turtlejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
petuniajo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1025 View Post
OK, THANK YOU!!! This is what I thought when I found the numbers. I went to different websites and they said the same. I think the "2" refers to potty training. But even the 3 month numbers seem WAY low. ISH, this is so hard to figure out, but I want to be as accurate as possible!
I agree--the numbers for how many disposables a kid would go through in a day is way off. Just because a diaper *can* last longer, doesn't mean you should let your child sit in a diaper until it is leaking or they have pooped. Most mom's that I know who use sposies, change almost as often as I do. Even the rules at daycare is that EVERY child, regardless of age, needs to be changed every 2 hours.

Plus, I swear when DD was a nb she pooped at least 5-9 times a day, lol, not counting pees!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Mommyk8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

newborn should be 12-14 a day
my toddler in pull ups was still using roughly 6-8 a day and didn't fully potty train until 3.5 years
so I would definitely say the numbers for sposies is way too low

Last edited by Mommyk8; 02-27-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Mommyk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
gracie1025
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagen View Post
I'm going to also chime in and say not all babies can use a certain disposable. My DD is severely allergic to something in Pampers. I didn't cloth diaper my first and Huggies sucked for him. He peed A LOT and we even had to buy night time diapers (that didn't solve the problem but help?) so we had to do pee sheets, blankets, clothes laundry every day. I guess what I am trying to say is that you may get stuck having to use a certain brand (because of allergies or them not working for the baby) and you may not be able to coupon as you would like....
I definitely hear you here...I just worry about how to do this. I worry this would get too complicated?
Padded Tush Stats reviews are based on survey responses from many mamas and are sorted based on different baby characteristics (heavy wetter, chunky, etc). Come fill out a quick survey or check out a review! http://www.paddedtushstats.com/
Old 02-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #16
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:

hard for me to type right now with a toddler on my lap, but yeah to me the diapering estimates seem really low. i went through at least 12 sposies the first few days after dd was born before we began cding- and i changed a few times at night as well. so maybe 15 total? maybe my dd just peed a lot. you can cd for next to nothing too dont forget!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Mommax2in2006
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
People who coupon tend to get things for next to nothing or find a way to get as close to nothing as possible. So, if someone were a couponer and buying disposable diapers, I would totally expect them to spend less on disposables than cloth. However, a couponing mom could also figure out ways to get cloth diapers super cheap, and that aspect isn't included at all. There are Buy 2, Get 1 Free deals, which would make 3 $17 diapers $34 instead of $51. There are also the B1G1, or seconds, and then there's making your own and buying used. I think if you're looking at the frugal aspect of disposables, you should do the same with cloth, not just for the prefolds.
Excellent point! Also i just did a deal on Amazon the other day and i got a Pack of Size 4 Seventh Generation Diapers 64 count for $0.77 cents with an Amazon diaper deal! I also got a box of 720 wipes for $1.55 with a $10 off code and a 10% off coupon code.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Micheliala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
yes this! look at all the almost free diapers to be had on amazon these days with the $10 and 20% coupons. there have been many others too.

Hyenacart, Babyshapes on Etsy
Micheliala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #19
gracie1025
Registered Users
seller

For those of you (ok all of you...hee hee) critical of my numbers. Those aren't mine. I just felt more reliable to site another source rather than pulling figures out of my head. If you have a reliable website that lists how many sposies baby goes through, that would be great.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
petuniajo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1025 View Post
I definitely hear you here...I just worry about how to do this. I worry this would get too complicated?
I would just put at the end of your piece certain considerations that weren't taken into account due to complexity, yet might make a difference... e.g., some kids can only tolerate more expensive sposies, ability to get some cloth super cheap using sales and Amazon codes, cost of wipes (though if possible, I *would* take that into account in your piece since sposie wipes costs really add up!), etc.