Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Flats/ PFS at night?

So I am about to give up on nite dipes again
I have been using fitteds with woolly bottoms soakers and absorbency

but smell and my cotton fitteds I *think* are causing redness. Ive tried fleece and suede cloth pockets, fitteds cotton and bamboo, flip organics, hemp and MF doublers, PUL, Wool, and Fleece covers/soakers...and eventually this problem... we even rinse/wring out our night dipes every morning, unless pooed on rinsed not wrung out...so only thing left I can think to try is PFs/flats. Anyone have luck with these? I have 2 boys, toddler ages, and they both drink 8oz milk right before bed. YDS is a tummy sleeper so I need serious abosorbency for him. He smelled horrific this morning, but only a tiny bit of redness, ODS will smell and get gets pretty red...Any options out there??

TIA!!!

Advertisement

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/

Last edited by ggill; 03-01-2011 at 10:30 AM.
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Re: Flats/ PFS at night?

I use all flats all the time, even nighttime. I kite fold then jelly roll. For night I add a padfolded flat inside and then cover with either a Thirsties Duo or a Mother Ease airflow. I use this on my almost 4yo and my 15 month old overnight with no leaks. If you are having stink issues then you need to change your wash routine or detergent. Something is not working for you.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use either:

A flat kite folded with a flat padfolded with a preemie pf inside for more absorbency, or a flat kitefolded with a red edge GMD PF trifolded for a doubler. Always with a fleece liner and then a wool soaker over the top.

I also rinse the night dipes out REALLY well in the morning.
ReadingRenee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I dont think its my wash routine bc no other dipes smell but I will try adding more detergent, we use Tide...

Are the Target floursack towels similar in size to LL or large flats? I could pick up a pack of those tommorrow and I have some PFs and small flats I can use as well...guess its sposies tonight and hopefully flats tommorrow!

Anyone use flats sucessfully with older boys? Ive read boys are harding to night diaper, especialy as they get older.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Smell is a sign that something is not right, even just night smell. We had night stink until I finally switched to Tide original He powder, liquid did not work. I also use flats on my amost 4yo boy at night. He is day trained but still wets at night. It works well for him. I find that I cannot snappi it on him though, I have to use pins at night for him. The snappi works well for my 16 month old dd at night though.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
Smell is a sign that something is not right, even just night smell. We had night stink until I finally switched to Tide original He powder, liquid did not work. I also use flats on my amost 4yo boy at night. He is day trained but still wets at night. It works well for him. I find that I cannot snappi it on him though, I have to use pins at night for him. The snappi works well for my 16 month old dd at night though.
How much Tide do you use? I have been using Tide org powder HE for awhile now, I think this is the 2nd or 3rd box. I use almost 1 scoop, but I split it between a cold wash and a hot wash. I wash 24-28 dipes a load.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Rugbyfan
Registered Users
seller

I use a prefold and a hemp doubler inside a FB for my 2yo DD. To keep the night ammonia under control I have to run her night diaper through a rinse and spin in my front loader as soon as I take it off. Just rinsing in the sink and even soaking weren't enough. It seemed a pain at first but I have gotten used to it and I think I am using less water than when I would rinse and soak by hand.
Rugbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK bumped my Tide up to a full cup and going to try out my few flats on ODS, but not till thursday night. DH will get the boys up and he wont pay any attention to smell

Old 03-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
mama2cecelia&logan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My BGE's started to stink when I would use them at night (my lo is only 5 months), I wasn't sure what was wrong. I called BG and they said that it sounded like the pee wasn't getting cleaned out of the dipe, so instead of doing a prewash and wash, I do two washes. Fixed the problem right up. If I use a BGE I have to put a AMP booster in it, and lately I've been using a Blueberry Bamboo Minky with an extra bamboo doubler in it, it hasn't leaked and has been really thirsty.
mama2cecelia&logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggill View Post
How much Tide do you use? I have been using Tide org powder HE for awhile now, I think this is the 2nd or 3rd box. I use almost 1 scoop, but I split it between a cold wash and a hot wash. I wash 24-28 dipes a load.
I have a top loader, not an HE one but a new water efficient one. I use 1/4 cup Tide in the cold wash, then another 1/4 cup in my hot wash, then I do a wash with no soap after that. I throw my Tide scoop away and use the 1/4 cup amount for all laundry. It is equivelent to right at the 1 line on the Tide scoop.