Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
februarymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flats/ PFS at night?

We had the same problem with fitteds which is why I don't buy or use them anymore. And we used a variety of different fitteds - cotton, bamboo and hemp - and they all got ammonia stench.
About 18 months ago we switched to pf's with hemp a doubler at night. Worked like a charm and no more stinkines! Now we use a Weehuggers bamboo insert as a doubler b/c ds is 4 and he pees a ton, lol. But I always put a fleece liner on top for stay dry otherwise he gets a bad rash from wetness. And we've always used wool at night b/c I've never found anything that works better at night than wool.
Also, we did switch to Tide powder about 6 months ago and I swear I will never go back to any other detergent. It is the only thing I've tried that really seems to get the dipes clean. We use up to the Line 1 line on the scoop (did that make sense?).
Good luck! I know finding a night time routine can be a challenge. And Just when you think you have it all figured out they go and grow on you again!

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

This is actually why I keep a few flats around even thought I'm not using flats otherwise besides nights. My 3yo has strong smelling pee and LOTS of it and flats are the best option we've found. I usually trifold a Thirsties hemp duo prefold (they are only 2 layers thick and don't get stinky at all) in 2 cotton flats and put wool over the top. I don't use stay dry or PUL on him at night because it holds the smell

We have zero washing issues otherwise, but if I don't use this system at night and handwash/soak them in the morning we have problems. I take night diapers off and rinse with the diaper sprayer and then soak in the bathroom sink. I use dishsoap in our foaming soap bottles for the bathroom so I usually put in a dab of that while soaking. The diaper usually barely has any scent or no scent at all when it goes in the wetbag. After the first wash cycle (we have a FLer and do 2 washes usually) they don't smell at ALL, which is saying something.

For some reason I've found bamboo to be more troublesome than a hemp/cotton jersey at night in terms of stink. When we were using bamboo fleece doublers they would just REEK (even brand new ones!) after using at night, even after rinsing and soaking. The hemp jersey smells the same as a flat after the routine though so we got rid of bamboo Just stick to minimal layers and rinse/soak well in the morning
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mammas! I was a moron and sold my LL flats

so I have some PFs I can try on ODS tomorrow night. I tried my Flip organic w/ hemp and mf doubler in a BG 4.0 and it smelled wonderful this morning! but will it last......trying agin tonight, problem is I have 18 organics. Should I mark the ones I use at night? I dont want to ruin all 18 since I use a different one each night.

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #14
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I use all cotton at night.. Tonight literly all cotton she is in a
medium GMD cotton prefold with am eunbleached oscocozy gauzy doubler all under a nickky 100% cotton cover its a size 3years so its a bit big but it works nicely breathable and we wake up with happy skin and no over powering odor and it washes easily.. I also use my little comfort fit cover at night with the same combo.
Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
medium GMD cotton prefold with am eunbleached oscocozy gauzy doubler all under a nickky 100% cotton cover its a size 3years so its a bit big but it works nicely breathable and we wake up with happy skin and no over powering odor and it washes easily.. I also use my little comfort fit cover at night with the same combo.
Deanna
How does the 100% cotton cover stay waterproof..ish? YDS is a heavy wetter tummy sleeper, so I am kinda afraid of something like that...but intrigued too

Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
februarymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
Deanna
Does the cotton cover hold all night? I would definitely try a 100% cotton cover at night if I knew it wouldn't wick/leak.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #17
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I trifold two flats and put them in a weehugger insert sock under a wonderwrap or flip. my guy nurses alot and we never have leaks. the flats are soaked but he's dry and never red. I think you need to cut out that bad milk habit, LOL! My soon to be 3 year old only has 1 flat in a cover for nights, but we brush teeth about 30 before bed and no drinking after that. He potties before bed and still wets, but it is minimal.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post
I trifold two flats and put them in a weehugger insert sock under a wonderwrap or flip. my guy nurses alot and we never have leaks. the flats are soaked but he's dry and never red. I think you need to cut out that bad milk habit, LOL! My soon to be 3 year old only has 1 flat in a cover for nights, but we brush teeth about 30 before bed and no drinking after that. He potties before bed and still wets, but it is minimal.
I wish we could cut out the milk! I have no idea how he can PL if he still drinks 7-9 oz milk before bed...I have to talk to my ped tommorrow before we move the milk bc ODS is super skinny and when he turned 1 he fell off the growth chart for his weight, we spent 10 months working with an infant nutritionist/ SLP to get his weight to where it is, and its there bc he drink his "milk" whole milk w/ 2 tbsps heavy cream and 1 packet CIB twice a day...he recently started drinking the whole thing before bed and I dont let him have it with dinner bc I want him to eat dinner, it doesnt usually work though, he doesnt eat hardly anything at dinner and they gulps all his milk before bed...I have started many threads on his eating issues so if any diaper moms have advise feel free