Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Gallifrey
Registered Users

My Mood:
buying used - worried about germs?

I've taken a quick look around, so I'm sorry if I missed this question already being posted.

Several of you mention buying used cloth diapers from someone else - how do you make sure they're really really clean before using on your own baby? I just think it would really suck if the previous baby had some sort of virus that they'd gotten over, but was still present and/or dormant in the diaper, then that's given to someone with a newborn and they get sick.

Does bleach or peroxide take care of all the potential ickies? What if doing so damages the diaper? Is there something else most parents do first?

Advertisement

Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: buying used - worried about germs?

Hot water kills alot. I honestly don't buy alot used (since we like aplix it's not generally worthwhile) but when I do I wash on hot with oxygen bleach and I feel that is sufficient. I may do the sanitize cycle but it is a bit more risky.

Beyond the germs I am as worried about the locked in tide, dawn, or other icky product locked in the diaper personally.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Just bleach anything new to you and wash in hot water, dry in the dryer on hot, the diaper will be good to go.
I fill the bleach dispenser to the rim and wash on a full load of water with a half a cup of detergent, 2 cold rinses and then into the dryer.
You will kill any germs that may be there.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I strip & bleach all of the used diapers that I buy before they go on my LO's tush. He's very allergic to Tide & some other commonly used detergents, so we have to strip. Then the bleach kills anything growing in them.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Gallifrey
Registered Users

My Mood:

Awesome - thank you for the tips! That puts my mind at ease when looking for some used ones to put in my stash.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

I've bought some pretty nasty looking used diapers. I use a full amount of bleach, wash on hot, second wash, and then sun. They end up nice and clean, and the sun takes care of the stains. You would be amazed how much better they look!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
kay226
Registered Users
seller

I do a 1/4 cup of bleach in HOT water in the wash with a med water level. Then I do a second cycle with detergent and warm water and a third cycle cold with no soap.... I also dry with high heat. This has been fine for all the used gdiapers and inserts I've bought.
kay226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
blessings4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used GSE on all mine but have a question I used it in the wash not the rinse so should I rewash them?
Blessed to be a Wife to the most wonderful man in the world , SAHM to a beautiful 12 year old daughter with autism , baby we lost, 6 year old little man , and pregnant with baby girl We are crunchy on a budget, everything in moderation
blessings4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
Just bleach anything new to you and wash in hot water, dry in the dryer on hot, the diaper will be good to go.
I fill the bleach dispenser to the rim and wash on a full load of water with a half a cup of detergent, 2 cold rinses and then into the dryer.
You will kill any germs that may be there.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote