Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nourishing our children

What are your thoughts on this? I posted this here because to me it isn't just about our children it is about us too.

http://www.nourishingourchildren.org/Home.html

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Nourishing our children

I'm a huge fan of Weston A. Price's work. I have a copy of his original book "Nutriton and Physical Degeneration" sitting on my bookshelf right next to me at the moment. I like the new website that the WAPF foundation is presenting, I haven't seen that one before - only the real milk and actual WAPF foundation sites. We went from a typical American diet to a whole foods, grassfed meat, raw (goat) milk diet and the changes in my children's (and my own!) health are just amazing. If you read Weston A. Price's original work the pictures in his book speak for themselves. Also Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions" is a well known book based on Price's work, I like a good portion of her book, but I do have some issues with it.

This is one of my very few soap box topics, I think the low fat, high carbohydrate, anti-meat/animal fat nonsense that has been spread in our country is such a disservice to what growing children need. I truly believe that a huge portion of our nation's health problems can be attributed to poor nutrition even in people who think they are "healthy". We feed our kids full fat raw or low temp pasteurized goat dairy (from a reputable, very clean source), organic grassfed meat with all the good vitamin containing fat (not like nasty grocery store animal fat) and raise our truly free range chickens for their healthy eggs. My DH and I both have healthy cholesterol levels and have both lost a considerable amount of weight in the past couple years as we've transformed our diet.

There is so much anti-animal fat propaganda out there that it can be really mind boggling when you first start hearing that animal fat is actually GOOD for you.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

to the pp-

I totally agree. I am a real food, nourishing traditions convert. I'm so glad that I learned about traditional foods and diets in time to start my daughter off with the best possible nutrition. I've read somewhere that feeding your kids real food is an extension of breastfeeding, and I really believe that. We need to eat what we have been eating for thousands of years, not the last 80. We can see where that is getting us!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is great that both of you do this. I have been looking and looking for months to try to find a good recipe book that would have some snacks and treats that I could feel good about feeding my family and I really like this idea. I am even planning on purchasing a side of beef (grass fed) in the coming months (before summer, not sure when... need to talk to DH tonight about that). I was looking into raw milk when I got diagnosed with cancer. But I just found another source for it and so I might bring up the topic again with DH. The way I see it is we could try it and if we get sick or something, then everyone in the family (me included) is strong enough to get better now. However the price for raw milk is about what I pay for organic milk so I think we will be good financially and likely health wise too.

ETA I just went looking on the website of where we are going to get the cow and it recommended Nourishing Traditions too. I guess we really should look into this.

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 03-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
That is great that both of you do this. I have been looking and looking for months to try to find a good recipe book that would have some snacks and treats that I could feel good about feeding my family and I really like this idea. I am even planning on purchasing a side of beef (grass fed) in the coming months (before summer, not sure when... need to talk to DH tonight about that). I was looking into raw milk when I got diagnosed with cancer. But I just found another source for it and so I might bring up the topic again with DH. The way I see it is we could try it and if we get sick or something, then everyone in the family (me included) is strong enough to get better now. However the price for raw milk is about what I pay for organic milk so I think we will be good financially and likely health wise too.
I know we've talked before but I have a kiddo that is frequently on high dose steroids for immune suppression. When he's going through that we use low temp pasteurized milk for him. When milk is pasteurized at 140 degrees for 30 min it does the same as the higher temps, but without damaging all the enzymes in it. Its not *as* good in terms of health benefits as raw, but when he's immunocompromised even though we literally have the best source for milk I could ask for (from a friend's goats, tested regularly and super clean) I just won't risk it. You can also get the raw milk and do the low temp pasteurization yourself

I personally have a rule that I won't buy raw milk unless I can actually see the farm where it comes from and ask questions. I think it can be a totally safe thing to use as long as you are getting it from a reputable source, but obviously when immunocompromised it is not a good idea because even regular every day bacteria are an issue at that point.

I really see the food we feed our son who has a chronic serious illness as another form of treatment for him. We purposely choose to live simply in most areas so that we can afford the very best in food for our family and I don't ever regret that
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have always thought that other cultures have a better and more balanced view of food. I think it's all about having a good variety of foods, healthy sources, and moderation.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sleeping toddler 1 handed

I <3 it! the standard american diet is killing us. i hate when kids dont drink water or dont eat veggies. wtf. you cant live on goldfish crackers, even if they are stupid "organic" bunnies. eat real cheese damnit.

we are striving to grow/raise 100% of what we eat. it's slow and hard, but we're striving!
Old 03-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
bootiecutie
Registered Users

Love this website. Wish there was a dairy farm anywhere near us, I might just break down and get a cow or goat. Every time DD drinks milk I'm thinking "pasteurized, homogenized, yuck!" We have our own chickens who make those bright orange yolks, yum!
Celestial, what is goat's milk like? I love goat cheese, but goat yogurt is not as appealing to me. Do you get used to the strong taste (if there is one)?
S, hippy-elitist-turned-semi-redneck mama to DD, 3, expecting #2 10/14/11
bootiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I haven't had a chance to look over the website very well, but I think I get the main concept. I've dabbled around Weston Price's ideas, and I think he's genius. (was genius?)

Our food in this house consists mostly of whole fruits, whole veggies, almond milk, cheese, yogurt, and some meat.

I'm not sure how that compares to the guidelines of this particular diet, but I feel like we eat better than 90% of American families.

I visit my parents - who live alone - and they have boxes and boxes of what I call "garbage food" - sugary cereal, instant oatmeal, ho-hos, ding-dongs, moonpies, nutri-grain bars, velveeta cheese, frozen dinners, cans and cans and cans of vegetables, sauces, vienna sausages, etc. It's like a storehouse. Their food is probably 10% perishable and 90% shelf-stable. Whereas, ours is about 85% perishable, and 15% shelf-stable.

A typical kid's day of food at their house is: cocoa pebbles for Bfast, chips for a snack, mac-n-cheese for lunch w/some hot dog stirred in, cookies for snack, and some chef-boyardee for dinner.

Now, I love junk food as much as the next person... but I don't see any moderation there. KWIM?

I think diet is SO important. My mom is forever and always sick. I think her bad diet is to blame. She thinks I'm a nutcase. lol.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
bootiecutie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
sleeping toddler 1 handed

I <3 it! the standard american diet is killing us. i hate when kids dont drink water or dont eat veggies. wtf. you cant live on goldfish crackers, even if they are stupid "organic" bunnies. eat real cheese damnit.

we are striving to grow/raise 100% of what we eat. it's slow and hard, but we're striving!
P.S. I love this post. All the candies "sweetened with 100% fruit juice!" Ok, how about you just eat ACTUAL FRUIT.
S, hippy-elitist-turned-semi-redneck mama to DD, 3, expecting #2 10/14/11
bootiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote