Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
MaMaMahler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Breastmilk poopie stains?

Hi there! So a little background...we started cloth pocket dipes with DS1 (now 27 months) when he was 18 months and now are using cloth (for right now we're using prefolds and thirsties duo covers) on DS2 (who is 4 weeks old). I never had a problem with staining with DS, but then again we never used cloth during breastfeeding before. With the thirsties covers, we seem to have gotten some staining on the gusset (leg part) from one of his blow out diapers. They generally hold everything in very well...but I don't think ANY diaper would have held this explosion in (sorry TMI). My question is...how can I get this out? I did a rinse, wash, rinse..all in hot water but the stain is still pretty yellow. I don't want to ruin a brand new cover. Any suggestions? Oh yea, and we live in the blistery cold midwest so hanging them on the line isn't quite an option until the snow melts! Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement

MaMaMahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breastmilk poopie stains?

well the only solution i've ever found for bm poo is sunning them. just cause it's winter doesn't mean it won't work. cloudy/snowy days will do the job. it just may take a little longer
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Kandarpa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You should do the first rinse in cold water otherwise hot water will set that stain.

HTH!
Kandarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
GreenOwlet
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had a stained thirsties gusset as well. I'm in mn so I get the cold. It can still help to hang it in a sunny window. I found all bf poop stains do come eventually. I just leave them be and all of them are gone now. Sometimes it takes a few weeks of using and washing.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Try an enzyme cleaner in COLD water - BacOut is a good one, or try OxyClean. Soak at least an hour, up to overnight, then wash cold. You can also sun the stain on your car dashboard or in a sunny window even in cold weather.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
supermiller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Someone recommended arm and hammer Washing soda and it worked wonders on some used pre-folds I bought from a craigslister. I also just read today if you dampen them and lie them in a sunny window it works as well as hanging them outside. I've also heard lemon juice can work as a bleaching agent.
supermiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
DrusL8y
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep! Clean 'em up, squirt some lemon juice on 'em, and put 'em in the sun! Works like a charm!
DrusL8y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
Momtonicky
Registered Users

My Mood:

sun them
Momtonicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
mommy2Ashlinn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, lemon juice works wonders! Dampen the diaper and add some lemon juice and let them sit in a window sill, outside, on your dashboard, wherever. I let mine sit out all day on the deck with something like a rock on the corner to keep it from blowing away. When i come home from work, it looks great again (might have some slight yellowing from the lemon juice that will wash right out). Be sure to wash them again because you don't want the lemon juice against your baby's bum.

To prevent stains, do a warm prewash/rinse. The warm water won't be warm enough to set stains, but will work better at dissolving the nasty stuff as compared to cold water. Ever since trying that suggestion, I never have stains. You can also make your own reusable liners with rectangles of fleece fabric. Be sure to strip them, but after that, they work wonders and are really cheap and keep your diapers pristine!
mommy2Ashlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
nebmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am having the same problem and we have had no sun to sun them either! I am definitely going to try a warm prerinse before our hot wash to see how that helps!

I wanted to add that we tried using a fleece liner in our 3 week olds diaper and because her pee stream isn't strong enough to get the pee through the fleece we had leaks out of the legs of the diapers. We use fleece liners with our 20 month old and have had no issues with leaks but with our baby it was major leaks. Took the fleece liner out and we have had no leaks!