Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can't believe I am considering these... flats??

Can anyone give me the scoop on flats?

are they more absorbent? Why do people like them? trimness? ease in washing?

I have frequent wetters. am I going to like these on a wiggly baby? talk me into them!

we use interlock covers mainly, sposies when out. thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can't believe I am considering these... flats??

I really love flats even though I thought I never would. They are one size, there are so many folds to change absorbancy and fit, they are cheap and so easy to wash. I can wash a load of flats hang them outside and have them completely dry in 15-20 minutes if it's nice out. They don't hold stink and they are just easy to maintain.

There is a learning curve though and they take a bit more time in the beginning but once you get the hang of them they are a piece of cake.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
lovemygirlseques
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms View Post
I really love flats even though I thought I never would. They are one size, there are so many folds to change absorbancy and fit, they are cheap and so easy to wash. I can wash a load of flats hang them outside and have them completely dry in 15-20 minutes if it's nice out. They don't hold stink and they are just easy to maintain.

There is a learning curve though and they take a bit more time in the beginning but once you get the hang of them they are a piece of cake.

This!
I love my flats. For me they are much easier to pin then a PF. I love that they are trim and that they are easy to wash and dry and easy to use as a doubler in my pockets.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
DrusL8y
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's definitely a learning curve! If you can get past that curve, you may like them! I couldn't get past it! With DS wiggling about, it just was not the time to work out origami. I would even have them all folded and ready but when I would go to put them on him, adjustments would have to be made, and he wasn't patient..ugh...also, he peed through it! One pee and all that hard work was over! I mean peed straight through a stream going to the floor I bought doublers for them but I just couldn't get a good fit or it was oddly bulky. Just wasn't for us! Get you a few and give 'em a whirl before you get a complete stash! Watch all the youtubes too! They're great! You'll either like 'em or you wont!
DrusL8y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
Maryclothdiapered
Registered Users

Are they more absorbent? IME, I have way less leaks compared to AIOs and pockets. I would say slightly more absorbent than a prefold.

Why do people like them? I like them because 1. they are way easier to fold/jellyroll/fasten than a prefold. 2. you never have to size up 3. they line dry way faster than anything else 3. they come in every cute print imaginable (receiving blankets) 4. it's way easier to add a doubler than any other diaper with origami fold 5. they are truly one-size, so great for multiple kids and the fit is always exactly how you like it 6. Zero complicated wash routine and zero stinkies 7. very trim especially considering the absorbency 8. super cheap and availabe at most stores

A wiggly baby would make it more complicated, but I still think it would be easier than prefolds. My trick is to fold them as soon as they are dry and stack them up at the changing table. Then I always have the next one open and centered on an open cover on the pad jellyrolled and everything so it's totally ready to go. Takes about 12 seconds at changing time. Then after I change the baby, I put her in her crib and get the next one ready. That way I'm not jellyrolling and trying to put a cover under a wiggly baby.

Just give it a try with some receiving blankets. No waiting on shipping/prepping. I also find that you don't really have to fasten if using a wrap-style cover. But if you don't have wrap style covers, pins will probably work better than a snappi depending on the flannel. Depending on the fold, you can probably just use one pin in the center. I also recommend youtube for videos. That's how I learned.
Maryclothdiapered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Xanders
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't say they're more absorbent. Leaks? No. Not at all because I trifold mine in a cover (usually Flip). If I have neglected to get around to changing it right away, I notice a pool of urine in the cover. They're nice because they're easy to clean and if you know for certain that you'll change it every 1 1/2 hours (this is easy to forget when you're busy cleaning and doing other things), then you'll have a great system. You can put newborn prefolds in the middle for added absorbency. I really like flats, but don't use them every day. They are really economical, though. They are super easy to wash, they're cheaper (even if you buy more to change more often), and they're nice and thin!

I have never pinned or Snappied these, so no learning curve for me.
Xanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I liked them for pad folding for a toddler but I am nervous about using them on my soon to arrive newborn just because of all of the folding. I tried folding on my toddler and it wasn't worth it. The pad fold was just fine and seemed more absorbent.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
graces-mommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I loved them snappi'd on for a super trim fit with a trim cover. I mostly only used them at home since I did feel I needed to change her frequently. They wash and sun perfectly, take up no space, are obviously cheap, and the ones I have from LL (bought about 4 years ago) fluff up and are soooo soft! During them summer when we were home I'd add a trim hemp or OCF doubler and just let her be coverless in the house. At the time she was a toddler, and so active that she never sat a left a mess!

I say give them a try! Learning and trying out the different folds was fun for me! Once I found one I liked I would fold it out of the dryer and they were ready to go! Took no more time than a pocket!

graces-mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
itsajoi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been surprised to find that I really like them. I just ordered six to try them out. My main idea was to use them in my pockets in hopes that they'd be easier to get clean when I visit my mom. (She has an HE front loader. Drives me bonkers.) After I prepped them I figured I'd give folding a whirl...just to see what all the fuss was about. I did the origami fold and was REALLY surprised by how easy it was. I have them folded up and ready (they take less time to fold than it takes to stuff a pocket) and haven't had any problems getting them on my EXTREMELY wiggly seven month old. I guess I'm not trying to get them perfect on him, so it's not a challenge or time consuming. I use wool pants/shorts so no cover. I will say when he pees, it is quite obvious. I don't have leaks, but I can feel it through the wool if you know what I mean. I actually appreciate that because I can change him right away since I know he's wet. I did put a hemp insert under the middle section in the origami fold, which was very easy, and it made it super absorbent. I just washed mine for the first time after use and WOW. So clean...so quick...so fresh..so easy! I'm considering selling some of my pockets and buying a dozen more flats.

Forgot to add that they are TRIM. Like...possibly thinner than disposables trim! Love em!