Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
minneapolismelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: episiotomy vs tearing... which is "better"?

All the docs I work with only do an epis if absolutely necessary. Tears heal better. The way they describe it is if you sew jagged edges together, heals faster. Straight edges from an epis, more difficult. Less to grab on to they say.

Advertisement

minneapolismelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Stoffmaus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have had episiotomies with my first 4 kids, I have never had the scars open up! And I have never torn! I have to say the recover with stitches compared to no stitches was pretty much the same. Even tho I didn't have a cut, the whole area was still bruised and swollen from giving birth! It may have been a little faster then the stitches, but not much.
I hope to avoid it again this time, but if needed I would go with a clean cut over a tear any day!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
HollyBennett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an episiotomy with my first. I couldnt sit on a soft surface or use the restroom without feeling like I was going to split apart. it was awefully painful but worth it since dd1 was in distress during pushing. With dd2 I tore a small amount but didnt have any pain after like I did with the episiotomy. Id say tear unless time is of the essence.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Research shows that it is generally better to tear.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #15
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never had an episiotomy and have never torn. With this baby I plan to let the doctor know not to do an episiotomy. I would rather tear if needed to. I didn't tear with DD1 or DD2 so hoping I don't with DD3 as well.
/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #16
Tweedledum
Registered Users

I told my OB prior to delivery that I did not want an episiotomy. However, as I was pushing, she told me, "I think you'd better let me do the episiotomy. You're tearing in the direction of your clitoris." And then I was like, "Yes, please."

The episiotomy healed fine. Quite frankly, my swollen feet bothered me MUCH more after the delivery than the episiotomy did.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #17
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Tore with DS3, episiotomy with D4. It was in my birth plan I'd prefer to tear but he told me he was doing it as he was cutting. I had no time to object. The cut was way harder to recover from than the tear. As a pp said, it hurt for weeks and sex hurt for a year. It was horrible. My new MW warned me that I am more likely to tear now that I have had the cut but there are things we can do to minimize it, and she definitely would let me tear rather than cut. I am very glad for that.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #18
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had an epi and no pain after 3 or 4 days. I felt normal after a week or so. No issues since. Granted, I had three stitches, so it was not a terrible epi. My dr and I talked about it beforehand.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #19
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would always prefer to tear given everything I've read and heard, unless it was deemed a necessary evil (and there are situations in which they are necessary).

Purely anecdotal, but my MIL is in her late 60s and still has issues with her episiotomy scar, and has undergone several treatments for it. Two of three women from my birth class who had episiotomies last year had to have surgery to correct them due to them not healing properly. Those of us who didn't have them either didn't tear at all or healed fine.
Nijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:09 AM   #20
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Research shows that it is generally better to tear.
This is true, a tear is much better as it is a natural tear, wheras a epi is a surgical cut, and will not heal as well, or naturally...I had an epi with my first baby (OB did one without telling me), and it was the worst experience I ever had, even my induction with me high on pitocin the whole time with no pain meds was better than the recovery from that! 3 weeks later I was still sitting on pillows and it didn't heal properly either...
Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote