Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
investmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wwyd

My dd is almost 9 months old. For the first few months of her life we had zero problems, but then she started getting rashes. Through much trial and error, I've deduced that she is just extremely sensitive to wetness. She has no food allergies, no detergent allergies, and using micro fleece or suede cloth or any other stay dry liner isn't any help (she actually seems wetter in those). What does seem to help is a barrier cream topped with massive quantities of corn starch. But that has to be done with every change and its not always 100%. Also, if i wipe it off witheachchange THAT gives her a rash... When I put her in a disposable the rash goes away. She's my 4th kid and I really could stand to have 3 fewer loads of laundry to do each week, but the thought of throwing away diapers really bothers me. But sometimes I just want things to be easy and simple and for us that would be switching to disposables.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wwyd

I am kinda in the same boat. My dd has had a constant rash since she was 2 months old and she is 9 months old on Sunday. We have been to different docs and a dermatologist. All say it is contact dermatitis. We have tried all different kinds of cloth and many brands of disposables. Unlike your DD, ours does not get better in sposies so I have decided to keep her in cloth. What we do it keep the rash to a minimum by being on top of diaper changes all the time and she wears a sposie at night and if I know she will take a long nap with aquifer as a big thick barrier. The rash never goes away, but it isn't as bad as it used to be. Maybe you could do that? part time sposie, most the time cloth?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
investmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Part time is a good idea. If I see a rash erupt, I can just use sposies until it's good and gone, I suppose. Ugh. Sick of this.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll tell you what I would do -- switch to breathable fleece or wool covers and stay-dry inners. My DS had constant rash problems for months, and after I tried EVERYTHING else I tried using breathable covers...which solved the problem Here's a link to my personal experience (on my EmotiBums facebook page):

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...87310381302998

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Starlite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could you use gdiaper flushies in a cloth cover, like gpants or flips? Our DD got impetigo, and we used gdiaper flushies in flip covers for a few weeks so she would stay dry and we could use a lot of creams. Since they biodegrade, you'd only have covers to wash, and wouldn't be adding tons of trash to the landfill.
Starlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
SaraAnne
Registered Users

I was having a similar problem. What really helped us was to use a homemade wipe solution with tea tree oil in it. We still get occasional rashes, but it is A LOT better. There are tons of recipes out there, so I created one using a couple of different ones. We came up with this: 1 tbs vinegar, 1 tbs olive oil, 2 drops tea tree oil, 2 drops lavender oil, ~ 1 cup water. I just combine this in a small spray bottle and fill with water, shake before each use to combine the oil and water. If the rash gets really bad we add a few tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
SaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
investmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah, I did a wipe solution with tto which helped for a week and then rash came back. Ive tried so many different wipe solutions its not even funny. I mean this has been going on for 6 months, so ive tweaked a bit. I was using more detergent, less detergent, rinsing 8 times, stripping. Ive tried 15 different detergents, too. I went full time wool with natural fibers and wool with stay dry inners; didn't help at all. I could try the disposable inserts laid in a cover, though, I haven't done that. I did look at G diapers but that vinyl inside boat looking thing really turned me off...lol. My stash is mostly aios and pockets, though, so I'd have to use the pockets as covers. Sigh. This sucks.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
mom22sofar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, not looking for flames or anything, but you have tried a lot, and you know what does work for her (sposies) so I would be inclined to use sposies. Sometimes you just do what you gotta do, and to me, a dry, rash free bum is more important. maybe, I would try cloth again in a few months?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmama View Post
Yeah, I did a wipe solution with tto which helped for a week and then rash came back. Ive tried so many different wipe solutions its not even funny. I mean this has been going on for 6 months, so ive tweaked a bit. I was using more detergent, less detergent, rinsing 8 times, stripping. Ive tried 15 different detergents, too. I went full time wool with natural fibers and wool with stay dry inners; didn't help at all. I could try the disposable inserts laid in a cover, though, I haven't done that. I did look at G diapers but that vinyl inside boat looking thing really turned me off...lol. My stash is mostly aios and pockets, though, so I'd have to use the pockets as covers. Sigh. This sucks.

How long did you try the wool? I remember that it would take several days for my DS's rash to clear up after being in PUL...unless I used hydrocortisone ointment on the rash to clear it up right away. Then it just wouldn't come back unless he spent time in PUL.

Otherwise I'm inclined to agree w/PP, sounds like your DD may just do better in sposies at least part time. If that's the only way to keep the rashes away, I'd do it

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
amzasmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ds was allergic to sposies which is why we started cd. to make sure he didn't get a rash in the cd we did lots of naked time when possible which helps a lot. In the summer he'd get a little heat rash and his boy bits would stick to him. The airing out helped a ton.

you could also do sposies at night only. that's what we're doing w/ dd right now b/c a super stuff cd won't fit under her bitty jammies yet!

Swagging for Amazon gift cards for DD toddler bed!
amzasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote