Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
paintingmom
Registered Users
seller

Thinking about Flats?

So we are a prefolds and wool family but I have been thinking about trying flats. The drying time and flexibility are a huge draw for me. But I am not seeing a huge amount of options out there for buying them. Little Lions isn't stocking them and then there are the Osocozy, Clotheeze/GMD, Hemp Babies and Swaddlebees.

For those flat loving mamas out there--where did you get yours and what brand? What size do you prefer?

We also can't have any kind of synthetics--bamboo fabrics are a huge no no for DD.

Thank you!

Advertisement

paintingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thinking about Flats?

I can't say enough good things about GMD flats. I have the large size and the are so versatile. I am planning on getting some of the small ones for the new baby. Sometimes I fold them fancy and sometimes I just fold them in a square and trifold them like a pf. They are trim and absorbant and you can double up for night time. Now that the sun has been out here I've been using the clothesline for drying and I'm so excited they are totally dry in 45min-1hr! If you love pfs you will love flats. I had a mama use a flta as packing material in a package I received on Monday. It's different than my GMDs and I love it. It's unbleached and super soft. As soon as I hear back from her what barand it is I'll update this post. It's amazing. I wonder if it's the organic unbleached from GMD because it's the same size as my bleached ones and as far as I know GMD is the only place that has the Large ones. I can't wait to find out
Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
SashaE80
Registered Users

My Mood:

We love flats! They are so easy to launder. We use bamboo ones, and the odd all cotton one. Size wise, DS is 22 months now and I'm using 70cm squares. We have only just made the move up from 60cm, he's getting close to potty training but he was showing too much bum! He's wearing size 3-4 clothes so is very tall, otherwise 60cm would have seen him through. I might have been able to muddle through but all i do is kite fold.

I'll wait for some other people to chime in, but in the mean time, if you have a sewing machine have you considered making your own? I just buy a few yards of fabric because it's cheaper. We used this muslin when he was tiny, it was less bulky, then started adding a booster or two, then we switched to bamboo when he was wetting a bit more heavily.
SashaE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ikea has "burp cloths" that are 28" x 28" and make great flats. They are 100% cotton
Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
Maryclothdiapered
Registered Users

I've only ever used receiving blankets as flats, so I can't recommend a brand, but it is a great way to give it a try without investing anything.

I used to be a prefold mama, but I only had 2 dozen, so I decided to origami fold some receiving blankets for back-up on laundry day. I fell in love and quit buying prefolds.

HTH
Maryclothdiapered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
paintingmom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much everyone! Any additional input would be great.

I do sew and think I could probably whip some up pretty easily. Trying to figure out what kind of fabric to try--probably don't want stretch--for the bamboo flat users--are they stretchy? Or maybe the stretch would give you a snugger fit? I would also like the fabric to be snappiable.

hmmm....getting more excited to try these by the minute--if I hadn't already cut up all my receiving blankets and made them into diapers we would be giving those a whirl right now.
paintingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

We have tried flats. I love how trim they are. In fact I love a lot of things abut them. There is one down fall though. I cannot stand spraying them out. They are huge when you are trying to hold them over a toilet and get the poo off.
I like the GMD ones .
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaE80
We love flats! They are so easy to launder. We use bamboo ones, and the odd all cotton one. Size wise, DS is 22 months now and I'm using 70cm squares. We have only just made the move up from 60cm, he's getting close to potty training but he was showing too much bum! He's wearing size 3-4 clothes so is very tall, otherwise 60cm would have seen him through. I might have been able to muddle through but all i do is kite fold.

I'll wait for some other people to chime in, but in the mean time, if you have a sewing machine have you considered making your own? I just buy a few yards of fabric because it's cheaper. We used this muslin when he was tiny, it was less bulky, then started adding a booster or two, then we switched to bamboo when he was wetting a bit more heavily.
What bamboo do you buy for thisand from where?
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
sstarfish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm actually totally ing receiving blankets for flats right now.... I'm actually planning on buying some more at an upcoming consignment sale.... I'm possibly even loving them more than my Megaroos (and they are super easy to pin!!)
Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We carry and Use OsoCozy flats ! I really want to try LL ones and Ikea burp cloths though.
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote