Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
dandelion38942
Registered Users

34 Weekers

So, I know that there can be so many reasons for early deliveries and every pregnancy/mom/baby/alignment of the stars is different, but I just can't help but ask .......

For those of you who have had a baby at about 34 weeks .....

1. Was this your first child?
2. Did you make it to term with subsequent children?
3. What were your issues?

I'm pondering what I think might happen with baby #2 some day. I delivered 6 weeks early with my first child for unknown reasons. I'm worried about making it through another pregnancy full term and being spared a stay in the NICU.

Advertisement

Domestic goddess wannabe married to her college sweetheart (9/02), SAHM to wheel addicted Luc (7/09), natural birthin, midwife lovin, ExtBF , partial , organic babyfood makin, select./delayed vaxin, BW, ExtRF, regrets circin, preemie birthin, future homeschooler, prefold, God fearin
dandelion38942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
lynnNC
Registered Users
seller

Re: 34 Weekers

1. G was our first child.
2. We don't have any other children (sorry can't help you there!)
3. The doctors never figured out what happened. I had a "perfect" pregnancy up until about 2 days before I went into labor the first time. They were able to stop it for almost a week and by the time I got to the hospital the second time I was too far dilated and I had to deliver. I was high risk the entire time because of some medical issues I have, but up until 33 weeks everything was perfect and those issues should've have caused preterm labor. So yeah I wish I had some answers That's one of the reasons we're adopting next. With no answers and that stay in the NICU freaked us out a bit.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
mrsmusic
Registered Users
seller

1. No, he was my second. My first was earlier.
2. Yes. I got a cerclage and made it to 37 weeks.
3. I have an incompetent cervix. All my kids are perfectly healthy though.
Bri helpmeet to Chaise (9/10/11). Attachment parenting, no circ, no longer vaccinating, pro-life, Christian, homeschooling preemie mama to K (27wks on 2/17/07) AIH Type 1 with PSC overlap and M (33wks on 3/4/09) Gluten Freeand A (37 weeks! on 2/3/11)
Follow my blog: Music Notes
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
kgmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
This was my third, the first two were full term. I didn't have any issues per say, but she was large and breech. I had no indications that she would be early, but my then water broke at 34 weeks. I wasn't in labor but that is normal for me as I have PROMed with all of my pregnancies (the first two at term).
Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

. Was this your first child? no, it was my second child. my first child was a term baby.
2. Did you make it to term with subsequent children? no my next child was born at 33 weeks
3. What were your issues? PPROM with both the 34weeker and 33weeker.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
ralenth
Registered Users

1. Was this your first child? Yes it was.
2. Did you make it to term with subsequent children? I was late with my second son, and my 3rd was born at 38 weeks (or there abouts).
3. What were your issues? PROM. My water broke at 32 weeks, I stayed in the hospital until he decided to show up at 34 weeks. He had very few complications. Jaundice, he took a few days to learn to eat and breath at the same time, and spent only a week in the hospital. He came home breastfeeding exclusively, and did great.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
apo_katie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. My little lady was my first.
2. I only have one.
3. She stopped moving. I had some bleeding at 8 weeks (unknown), a inter-uterine hemeatoma (sp?) at 14 weeks and bled until almost 18 weeks. Basically, my OB told me if I had waited another day she wouldn't be here. I almost lost her twice. She spent 28 days in the NICU and came home at 5lb. 4oz. (she was 3lb. 13.5 oz. at birth.) She's now just other 4 months and a healthy 12 lb.!
apo_katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
natmarie6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. No, DD is my second child
2. Yes, I made it full term with DS
3. PPROM, unexplained, at 33 weeks. I was held off a week before I delivered her at exactly 34 weeks. I didn't have any serious issues.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For those of you who have had a baby at about 34 weeks .....

1. Was this your first child?

I have had 4 preemies:
#1 was born at 35 weeks
#2 was born at 34 weeks
#3 was born at 32 weeks
#4 was born at 31 weeks
I opted for a tubal ligation with #4 due to increasing pregnancy compications, and each child coming earlier than the previous one.

2. Did you make it to term with subsequent children?

No, each baby came earlier than the next and preterm labor started earlier and earlier with each subsequent pregnancy.

3. What were your issues?

#1 Hyperemisis Gravidarum the entire pregnancy, preterm labor started at 35 weeks, ultimately delivered due to a partial placental abruption (No NICU, is five and has autism and asthma, and developmental delays & sensory issues)

#2 Hyperemis Gravidarum the entire pregnancy, preterm labor started at 33 weeks, 1 week hospital bedrest on nifedipine, delivered at 34 weeks due to labor beginning immediately after cessation of tocolytics (3 days NICU, is 4 and now healthy)

#3 Preterm labor began at 24 weeks, admitted at 24 weeks and spent 8 weeks on hospital bedrest on magnesium sulfate and terbutaline, ultimately delivered due to a partial placental abruption (36 days NICU, plus numerous readmissions in his first 14 months, he is 2 and has chronic lung disease, cerebral palsy, and developmental delays)

#4 Preterm labor began at 22 weeks, admitted at 22 weeks, spent nearly 10 weeks on hospital bedrest with magnesium sulfate and terbutaline, ultimately delivered by emergency c-section due to placental abruption that progressed to a complete abruption. He lost over half his blood volume and was delivered lifeless with no heartrate or respiration and required 13 minutes of CPR. He suffered a brain injury from this (Hypoxic Ischemic Encepholapathy). (60 days NICU, Now 6 months, has developmental delays and the brain innjury which we still dont know the longterm prognosis of)

I also did the progesterone shots beginning at 16 weeks with pregnancy #4 but they didnt seem to make any difference in my pregnancy outcome.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

1. Was this your first child? My 34 weeker was my 4th child.
2. Did you make it to term with subsequent children? My previous 3 children were all term (38-40+ weeks). I am pregnant now (first pregnancy since having my preemie) and hoping to make it to term again.
3. What were your issues? My water broke randomly when I was 30 weeks pregnant. I did have some contractions start up after it broke but they were not dilating me at all and the doctors were able to stop them. I spent 4 weeks on hospital bedrest before being induced at 34 weeks. They chose 34 weeks because at that point the risk of infection outweighed the benefits of keeping the baby in. We have no idea why my water broke. It wasn't a huge gush, and when they did ultrasounds throughout the 4 weeks in the hospital my fluid levels were always higher than average, but every time I went to the bathroom I was definitely leaking amniotic fluid.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote