Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Queen Bethers
Registered Users

My Mood:
Prepping BGOS 4.0 - lots of questions

I just got my first order of Rock N Green in the mail today. It was like Christmas, I've never been so excited to do laundry. I figured since my diapers are brand new I don't need to do a presoak cause there's no nasty's on them. I washed them in Hot with the RnG and did an extra rinse. Right now their in the dryer on Med-low heat. Is that all I need to do to prep my diapers? Do I need to wash them multiple times? I've read places that recommend washing new diapers 5-10 times to make them absorbant. Should I just wash the inserts that many times? Does it make much difference with a newborn since they don't pee much?
This will be my first CD baby and I know BGOS might not fit her on day 1 but that's okay. I plan on stealing a couple packages of newborn sposes from the hospital. Just so I'm not stressing myself out in the first week or so trying to get the hang of CDing.
My baby girl is due in just over 4 weeks. Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Advertisement

Queen Bethers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
sstarfish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prepping BGOS 4.0 - lots of questions

You might want to dry the pockets themselves on hot, to seal the PUL the first time. I don't think you have to do anything special to prep the inserts, either.

And FYI, depending on the size of your baby, the OS diapers might not fit for a few months. So you'll either have to use sposies for longer, or use some other CDing system (like prefolds and covers). But, your newbie might fit into them after a few weeks. You just never know!

Congrats on your impending bundle of joy!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope just wash and dry once and ready to go! I always hang dry my pockets. PP was right, they may not fit right away, you may need a few months, then they are great dipes! Congrats mama!

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on your soon to be baby girl!

I don't believe you need to prep your diapers any further. Most time "prepping" is for natural fabrics (e.g. cotton, hemp and bamboo). The extra hot washes get rid of all the natural oils that cause it to repel liquid. Since you're using synthetic fabrics (microfiber and suedecloth) you're good to go!

For the sizing..I'm not too helpful. I didn't start using cloth til my youngest was 2 months. At that age he was already in smalls and could fit one-size diapers already. My LO was almost 8 lbs. at birth and got quite chubby quickly. Even then, I don't think he would have fit in one-size until 2 months. You may want a few smaller diapers or prefolds/covers until baby gets a bit bigger, but that's just what I would do if I started from birth.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
hampyfew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No need to prep microfiber inserts, just wash once as you did and you're good to go.
hampyfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Queen Bethers
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks ladies!
Queen Bethers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats mama! It looks like you received some good advice
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
kkcjones2
Registered Users
seller

Congrats Mama! Don't be intimidated, CDing really is simple!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808mamaof2 View Post
Congrats on your soon to be baby girl!

I don't believe you need to prep your diapers any further. Most time "prepping" is for natural fabrics (e.g. cotton, hemp and bamboo). The extra hot washes get rid of all the natural oils that cause it to repel liquid. Since you're using synthetic fabrics (microfiber and suedecloth) you're good to go!

For the sizing..I'm not too helpful. I didn't start using cloth til my youngest was 2 months. At that age he was already in smalls and could fit one-size diapers already. My LO was almost 8 lbs. at birth and got quite chubby quickly. Even then, I don't think he would have fit in one-size until 2 months. You may want a few smaller diapers or prefolds/covers until baby gets a bit bigger, but that's just what I would do if I started from birth.
this.

I bet you can't wait to meet your baby!!

Last edited by mariamommy; 03-03-2011 at 02:53 PM.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote