Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

Co-sleeping help. What to do with 5 year old when NB comes?

Hi mamas,
I need some advice. ODD is 5 almost and exclusively co-sleeps with us. We are happy to have her there with us and there is pretty much zero chance she is going to be willing to move to her own bed. We are having a baby in May who will side-car/co-sleep with us as well.

What do we do about the interruption to ODD's sleep? I'm sure the baby will be waking her up quite a bit.

Oh, ODD sleeps pretty much on top of me and if I roll her over, she just rolls right back. So everytime I have to get up with the baby it will not only be noisy but I will also have to physically move her.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Advertisement

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Co-sleeping help. What to do with 5 year old when NB comes?

i would have her sleep on a crib mattress on the floor until you can transition her out of you room. we cosleep until age 3 and they have their own bed and we have a bedtime routine and cuddles in their bed before I leave their room.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know my daughter is only 2.5, but she's pretty smart. I'm pregnant and we started transitioning her to her bed, which then allowed me the comfort and time to get preg.

So she's in a day bed in our room and we are facing the same question.

Being that I'm due in 4 months, I have started to let her know that it is an option for us to move her to her room because her brother might cry and wake her up. She gets it, but hasn't expressed an interest in moving out yet.
I'm interested in what others have to say. Bottom line, I'd give her options.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Zappa
Registered Users
seller

Your DD may just sleep through the baby's crying after an initial adjustment period. In my house at first DD was up every time she heard DS crying during the night but it did not take her long to tune him out and sleep right through the noise. (Incidentally, DH learned to do the same thing! )
Old 03-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
listalees
Registered Users
seller

I would say whatever you do, don't send her to another room this close to when you are having a baby. You don't want her to feel that with a new baby coming in she has to move out. That may make her feel displaced by the baby and affect her ability to feel affection for him/her.
When we had our 3rd baby in oct. both of our older two were still on the bed with us. We got a twin to put next to our king for our 5 year old and the other 2 sleep in the bed with us. We just moved the twin bed to the other side of the room.
. We all sleep great.
I just think may is too close for her to be able to separate the two events.
listalees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
listalees
Registered Users
seller

Whoopsies!!! Just realized you weren't even considering moving her out. Sorry for my completely off advice.
I will say that my son's sleep was not affected by dd's arrival (he was 3) and neither of them have responded to number 3. I mean, with you right there it is unlikely the the baby will be crying for long periods of time.
listalees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I'm wondering if she'll just choose to sleep elsewhere? If she starts complaining about being woken at night she's old enough to understand that that is just what happens at night and she might want to sleep somewhere else until the baby is older. I'm sure she'll suggest the BABY sleep somewhere else but that reality will just have to be explained too! You could also give her the choice of a mattress on the floor in your room if the problem is you moving about rather than the noise from the baby.

Having said that, my dd was 5 when dd2 was born and they shared a room almost from the beginning. She would only wake if dd2 cried for an extended period.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
crazylife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our boys were almost 4 when DD was born. We slowly transitioned them to their own room prior to her birth and they took to it very well. Now DD is one (boys are almost 5) and we've all somehow ended up back in our itty bitty queen again, sheesh! Lol. They could sleep through a rock concert in the room tho' so DD's wailing and nighttime flailing doesn't even faze them. We've tried an extra mattress on the floor and none of them would have anything to do with it. I agree with the poster who said your DD may just naturally want to sleep somewhere else if her sleep routine is being interrupted constantly. Who knows - she may surprise you with her 'big girl decision'. I was surprised at how sad I felt that our boys took to their beds so fast.
crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What we did was to get DD a big girl bed, and we read stories in her big girl bed. At bedtime, she lays there. But, in the middle of the night, she is welcome to come in our room (which she does most nights). However, it worked for us. DD is proud of being the big sister and having her big girl princess bed, but she knows that if she gets lonely, she is welcome to come back.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote