Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy UPDATE!my 3-year-old swallowed a dice!

this morning one of the kids found the dice under the coffee table. Little turkey was confused when he was telling me he swallowed it. Now he says he DID have it in his mouth but spit it out. I'm just glad he's okay, and glad I don't have to dig through poop anymore!

Last Thursday the kids got the dice that goes with our Jenga game, and I should have taken it away, but didn't. A little later my 3-year-old came to me upset and said the "tiny block" was lost. I said it was okay; we'd find it later. He was still upset so I asked where it was. He said it was in his mouth but now it's in his tummy. I asked him why he did that and he said to keep his brother from eating it! (His brother is 2). I tried very hard not to ask leading questions, so when he says he swallowed it I believe him. I called the ped and they said it shouldn't be a concern; just watch his poops for 10 days. Well, it's been 6 days now and he's been pooping in the baby potty so it's easier for me to dig through it and look for the dice! So far no luck. The last few days he's had a tummyache and some diarrhea, and has thrown up once. Dh is getting concerned. I'm not sure what to think, because my 4-month-old is throwing up too, so I think it's a virus. (Though we are dealing with tummy issues with the baby too; we JUST switched him to Neocate from breastfeeding to treat allergic colitis and silent reflux, so part of me is paranoid that he's actually having trouble with that and not really sick, though it'd be a strange coincidence if neither kid is actually sick).

Anyway, when should I start to worry about my 3 year old? He's pretty petite for his age, though the dice *should* be able to work its way through him okay. I will definitely call the ped again in a few days if it's not out, but in the meantime, do I need to worry about his tummyaches/diarrhea,etc?

Advertisement

Last edited by 3inclothdiapers; 03-22-2007 at 04:38 PM.
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Re: my 3-year-old swallowed a dice!

his tummy aches could honestly be from the dice, it could be stuck in an area in his intestine and its his bodies way of moving it out. I would comfort him and try soothing his tummy. Make sure he is hydrated. I feel so bad for him. There isn't much you can do for him though. I had the tummy bug that he might have and it passed pretty fast but I was miserable and tired for a while after. Just watch his poopies and see if he passes it. Give him tummy rubs and spoil him a little...try to make it easy on him. I could not imagine what his little body has to do to get rid of a die it cannot break down...I could imagine it would hurt and upset my tummy too. Give him a big hug for me, I feel so bad for him!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm letting him watch lots of DVD's and drink lots of Gatorade (they only get that if they are sick so it's a "treat").

I'm wondering if him having a little bug which is giving him diarrhea is causing it to take longer, since there's not much "solid" to push the dice along...
Old 03-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
thrillhouse
Registered Users

Try feeding him oranges, apples, bran muffins. stuff with a lot of fibre and bulk to help "catch" the die and push it through.

I hope I can safely say, "this too shall pass"
Old 03-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, my 3yo swallowed a quarter "it was a big money, mommy" in November. The doctor said it would pass, and we *think* it did. I never actually saw it, but I know he had one very painful caca. There seem to be no ill effects this far down the road, we joked we'll have to walk him through a metal detector. Anyway, just keep watching, and like the pp said, feed lots of fiber foods when he feels better from this tummy bug.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally being the paranoid mommy that I am with good insurance...I would take him in and have him x-rayed since it still hasn't passed and he's complaining of tummy troubles.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

If it isn't out by the weekend, I would call the pedi and have him checked.. Better safe then sorry! I'm not sure how big their intestines are at that age but to me a dice is kinda big for a 3 year old??

Old 03-21-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would give it sometime.. I think that the vomiting and such is a bug... and I believe that the dice will make its way out at some point.. and when it does you can play the game again.. ahhahahaha.. oh come on .. someone had to say it I hope it passes soon !
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

I wonder if a xray would see it since its plastic.
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go get some bran muffins (or buy some bran cereal to make them myself) and oranges and feed those to him. If it's not out by Monday I'm going to call the ped again.

And I'm going to clean under our couches in case he was mistaken about swallowing it...