Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Warning about diet sodas during pregnancy

I hope that this is common knowledge already, but this was an interesting study. 60,000 women were studied and those that drank 1 diet soda a day had over a 30% higher chance of preterm labor. Those that drank 4 or more per day had over a 70% higher chance of labor before 37 weeks.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/health...orn-child.html

Advertisement

__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Kriket's Avatar
Kriket
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,148
My Mood:
Re: Warning about diet sodas during pregnancy

well crap...
Thanks for posting this, but you have literally taken away my last 'fun' thing I can't have sugar, I have to watch my weight, my sodium, stopped smoking, don't drink while pregnant. I can't even DTD because DH had surgery! ah!
Diet soda was keeping me sane.

Sigh...
__________________
I make milkshakes in my yard.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
lotemp's Avatar
lotemp
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas for now
Posts: 1,136
My Mood:
I don't believe it. I drink a lot of soda - it's my one vice . 3 on time babies, no issues. I'm going to keep drinking my Sierra Mist thank you.
__________________

lotemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
aries416
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,527
Re: Warning about diet sodas during pregnancy

I drank it both mine and went past 40 weeks each time..
__________________
Eleanor, mama to Maren (07.05.08) and Grant (10.20.10)
aries416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,385
Re: Warning about diet sodas during pregnancy

Interesting.

Although I NEVER went into labor with mine (c/s) or even felt contractions with them at all. And I drank um, a lot, of diet pop.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
luvsviola's Avatar
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 17,103
My Mood:
Re: Warning about diet sodas during pregnancy

So far, hasn't worked for me. I drank at least one diet caffeine free coke every day with both pregnancies. DD was induced on her due date. Right now I am 37 weeks, 2 days, and would LOVE to go into labor today. It also apparently doesn't make me eat more (other studies say this) because I only drink it when pregnant, and I've only gained 15 pounds with this pregnancy--did not watch my diet much at all, and ate whatever I felt like whenever I felt like it.

If I drink more, will it put me there? I'll drink a whole case tonight if I have to!
__________________
Kristen
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
jackyl08's Avatar
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 7,029
My Mood:
Re: Warning about diet sodas during pregnancy

I drank way to much during my pregnancy with DD and she was full term.
__________________
Jacky, CPST and wife to Tim
Mama to my little red heads, Kenzie (5) and Maverick (3)Currently boycotting using the potty EVER
jackyl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
MamaNeeNee's Avatar
MamaNeeNee
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Napa, Ca
Posts: 98
Re: Warning about diet sodas during pregnancy

Coke is bad for you...diet coke is even worse. All those chemicals and artificial sweeteners that your baby is going to be getting. I'd say don't eat it or drink it if it isn't all natural. I haven't had a coke since I found out I was pregnant.
MamaNeeNee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
swedishmaiden's Avatar
swedishmaiden
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Inland Northwest
Posts: 467
Re: Warning about diet sodas during pregnancy

^This. I don't drink soda or diet soda whether or not it impacts pre-term labor, just because it really isn't healthy and I want the best for my LO! A soda here and there probably isn't the worst thing in the world, but especially on a regular basis, it isn't the best idea.
__________________
Mama (25) and DH (29), Jael (3), Judah (1)
Vegan, FAM user (check out ChristianFamilyPlanning.net), trying to live green, babywearer, former CD'er until the washer quit working, and future homeschooler!
(Profile pic courtesy L'Amore Photography)
swedishmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
Kriket's Avatar
Kriket
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,148
My Mood:
Re: Warning about diet sodas during pregnancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotemp View Post
I don't believe it. I drink a lot of soda - it's my one vice . 3 on time babies, no issues. I'm going to keep drinking my Sierra Mist thank you.
this is what I tend to say most days, but my DS was 37w, totally out of the blue, and was a little scary.

I know I shouldn't drink it anyway, but it's really my last vice. I smoked cigarettes AND pot (which I refuse to get it a debate about ) ate like dirt, lots of sugar salt and processed foods you name it.

Now I have mega gardens, lots in the freezer/canned from the garden. Eat local no more smoking of any kind. I am really impressing myself! Then there is Vanilla coke zero ....
__________________
I make milkshakes in my yard.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.