Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #21
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Warning about diet sodas during pregnancy

The reason that they do studies is because anecdotal evidence (i.e. individual experiences / stories) are not clinically meaningful.

Just because a particular woman drinks 1 diet soda daily and doesn't go into labor early doesn't mean the study isn't valid. In fact, as the study said it increases risk of early labor by 30%, that mom would just be in the 70% that didn't have the adverse outcome.

The point isn't that any one mother does or does not experience the adverse outcome. The point is that it clearly raises risk (based on the study, assuming it is a solid study). Having information like this available means we can make more informed choices.

Some moms will still choose to drink diet soda and feel okay with the increased risk in their particular cases. This is totally fine and completely personal choice. Other moms who did not previously know this was a risk factor, will choose to stop drinking diet soda. Also totally fine.

Personally, I don't drink diet soda or soda at all (except maybe a handful of times in a year at a party or something), and now I definitely won't want to start!

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotemp View Post
I don't believe it. I drink a lot of soda - it's my one vice . 3 on time babies, no issues. I'm going to keep drinking my Sierra Mist thank you.
Agreed. And Diet at that.

I was induced with jake.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #23
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevmomma View Post
The reason that they do studies is because anecdotal evidence (i.e. individual experiences / stories) are not clinically meaningful.

Just because a particular woman drinks 1 diet soda daily and doesn't go into labor early doesn't mean the study isn't valid. In fact, as the study said it increases risk of early labor by 30%, that mom would just be in the 70% that didn't have the adverse outcome.

The point isn't that any one mother does or does not experience the adverse outcome. The point is that it clearly raises risk (based on the study, assuming it is a solid study). Having information like this available means we can make more informed choices.

Some moms will still choose to drink diet soda and feel okay with the increased risk in their particular cases. This is totally fine and completely personal choice. Other moms who did not previously know this was a risk factor, will choose to stop drinking diet soda. Also totally fine.

Personally, I don't drink diet soda or soda at all (except maybe a handful of times in a year at a party or something), and now I definitely won't want to start!
Thanks! This is basically how I feel also. I try to avoid doing anything that has been proven to raise risks for preterm birth. This study looked at 60,000 women, so it was hardly anecdotal. I'm sure that I did things in pregnancy that other people wouldn't do, though, so I'm not going to judge others, just provide the information.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #24
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Aspertame is some NASTY stuff!! I don't drink it anyhow, but would not dare touch it while pregnant. Just not worth the risk IMO. Soda drinkers - if you're going to drink it while pregnancy, you're far better off just drinking the regular stuff.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #25
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Aspertame is some NASTY stuff!! I don't drink it anyhow, but would not dare touch it while pregnant. Just not worth the risk IMO. Soda drinkers - if you're going to drink it while pregnancy, you're far better off just drinking the regular stuff.

HFCS > Aspertame

Though I love this time of year because many sodas are made kosher for passover, which means they are made with sugar and not HFCS.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #26
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldnt doubt it. Artificial sweeteners are just not made for our bodies to digest. When I was younger (before I knew differently) I was a soda junkie. I would drink a 2 liter over the weekend if I had the chance. In my early 20s I switched to diet sodas (thinking I was doing something better for myself), but have since read about the impact of artificial sweeteners on our bodies and cut them out completely. I havent had more than a sip or two of soda every couple months for years (diet or otherwise). I really dont think its about preterm labor as much as its about making healthy choices for our bodies and our families. Education is the first step.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #27
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
Another drinker here, and 2 LATE babies. We'll see if #3 is late too, but I'm putting my money on yes
I'd probably drink EIGHT diet sodas a day if it meant I didn't have to be induced after I pass my due date like with the other 2! hahahahaha

And no, artificial sweetener isn't the best thing for you. But if you are diabetic, it's really the only thing you can have, unless you drink only water. And diabetics are fine....and there babies usually are too
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com

Last edited by Mirasmom; 03-08-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote