Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #101
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Childrens Place's sunglasses are only $3!

Advertisement

Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #102
photocat
Registered Users

Wow, this thread marches on while I sleep

I use this recipe for lemon kale chips, they're really good. I've tried kale in smoothies too and it was just icky, a real overpowering taste. But as baked chips, it's very mild.

I wish we had something like Azure standard here, I know there is a buying co op somewhere here, but there are no branches anywhere round me.....might be time to look into it again though.

Someone asked about grains for breakfast? NT style, what they recommend? I think it's a just a case of appropriately treating whatever grains you use. If you have bread, make it sourdough bread. If making porridge or granola, use soaked oats, etc.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #103
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So after looking into all of this I'm afraid I'm becoming a food snob. I went over to my parents tonight and pretty much everything was pre-packaged and sodas to drink...and made me want to come home and toss a bunch of stuff out. Got to reading labels today and even stupid ritz crackers have HFCS in them...
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #104
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
Childrens Place's sunglasses are only $3!
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocat View Post

I use this recipe for lemon kale chips, they're really good. I've tried kale in smoothies too and it was just icky, a real overpowering taste. But as baked chips, it's very mild.

I wish we had something like Azure standard here, I know there is a buying co op somewhere here, but there are no branches anywhere round me.....might be time to look into it again though.

Someone asked about grains for breakfast? NT style, what they recommend? I think it's a just a case of appropriately treating whatever grains you use. If you have bread, make it sourdough bread. If making porridge or granola, use soaked oats, etc.
I guess I really need the book to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecialefty View Post
So after looking into all of this I'm afraid I'm becoming a food snob. I went over to my parents tonight and pretty much everything was pre-packaged and sodas to drink...and made me want to come home and toss a bunch of stuff out. Got to reading labels today and even stupid ritz crackers have HFCS in them...
I guess you don't want a recipe then for mock apple pie. (pie made with ritz crackers).

In all seriousness though, I think it is great that you are getting like that. I am sure your family will benefit for it.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #105
lisaeriksen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecialefty
Got to reading labels today and even stupid ritz crackers have HFCS in them...
Shoot, really? That's one label I haven't read yet and my son LOVES ritz!
lisaeriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #106
MommyMarshall
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

subbing
I've been hoping DS would get a traditional foods section.
MommyMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #107
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yeah, tell me about it!!! And, worse yet, there's no good from scratch recipe to make them. I've tried. them. all.

I've probably used more flour on cracker experiments in the past 3 months than most people use for everything in a year!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #108
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

subbing. I've read through page 6 and will be back!

Oh, and someone wanted to make tortillas...
http://onelittlewordsheknew.blogspot...tortillas.html

and for those wanting to cut out soda, you can try making homemade ginger ale -
http://onelittlewordsheknew.blogspot...inger-ale.html

Fun thread!
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:13 AM   #109
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Yeah, tell me about it!!! And, worse yet, there's no good from scratch recipe to make them. I've tried. them. all.

I've probably used more flour on cracker experiments in the past 3 months than most people use for everything in a year!
Have you tried this one http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...-at-long-last/
I don't follow NT as such but we are Real Foodies. Most of it comes easy for me as all home cooking is pretty much still the norm here and all our meat is grass fed, we don't have a corn industry at all so no HFCS either. We don't have real milk but we have nothing low fat and use butter. We have Nordic Naturals for our CLO as Omega 3&6&9 are so important for immunity and brain function and the right balance is the key. I have started a Nutrition Degree and everything I follow and believe is so not what they teach at all.
There is a blog for Natural Fertility using traditional foods
http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/
Old 03-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #110
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocat View Post

I can't taste the kale in smoothies-but I also throw so much other stuff in with it I can hardly put my blender lid on I'll have to try those kale chips!

Quote:
Oh my goodness I am SUCH a food snob now We go to my in-laws for Sunday dinner (haven't missed one in like 8 years!), and while they always have steaks from a local farmer, they also have instant mashed potatoes, canned veggies, MARGARINE etc. I don't want to be rude so I just eat the steak and the salad now and call it good. But it seriously makes my eye twitch to watch dh and my kids slather margarine on hfcs rolls

I also have to watch what I post on fb because friends/family are starting to tell me that I'm weird - guess I should tone down the gmo rants a bit lol!

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 03-09-2011 at 08:38 AM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote