Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #111
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy589 View Post
subbing. I've read through page 6 and will be back!

Oh, and someone wanted to make tortillas...
http://onelittlewordsheknew.blogspot...tortillas.html

and for those wanting to cut out soda, you can try making homemade ginger ale -
http://onelittlewordsheknew.blogspot...inger-ale.html

Fun thread!
Thanks for the links! I will add them to the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willownz View Post
Have you tried this one http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...-at-long-last/
I don't follow NT as such but we are Real Foodies. Most of it comes easy for me as all home cooking is pretty much still the norm here and all our meat is grass fed, we don't have a corn industry at all so no HFCS either. We don't have real milk but we have nothing low fat and use butter. We have Nordic Naturals for our CLO as Omega 3&6&9 are so important for immunity and brain function and the right balance is the key. I have started a Nutrition Degree and everything I follow and believe is so not what they teach at all.
There is a blog for Natural Fertility using traditional foods
http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/
Thanks for the links! I will add them to the first post too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife View Post
I can't taste the kale in smoothies-but I also throw so much other stuff in with it I can hardly put my blender lid on I'll have to try those kale chips!

Oh my goodness I am SUCH a food snob now We go to my in-laws for Sunday dinner (haven't missed one in like 8 years!), and while they always have steaks from a local farmer, they also have instant mashed potatoes, canned veggies, MARGARINE etc. I don't want to be rude so I just eat the steak and the salad now and call it good. But it seriously makes my eye twitch to watch dh and my kids slather margarine on hfcs rolls

I also have to watch what I post on fb because friends/family are starting to tell me that I'm weird - guess I should tone down the gmo rants a bit lol!
I just opened a thing of instant potatoes this week. However I don't plan on purchasing anymore and I have a lot of things that would be good with gravy in the freezer right now. I am seeing my food journey as from this point forward.

With the exception of today. Today is Ash Wednesday and we are Catholic. So DH tells me last night that we need to get fish for today and Friday. I knew this but with all the excitement for next week, this week has become a blur. So today I go to a normal grocery store and try to find some fish. I go to the frozen food section and everything is breaded. So I go to the fish section and none of the fish looks good (wild caught salmon with color added ). I decide that no matter what I do it will be "wrong" so, I grab some fish sticks and get that. We have some mac and cheese and some onion rings around here, so between the 2 we should have something to eat tonight. It is far from ideal, but if this is the last Ash Wednesday that we have to eat like this, it isn't that bad.

Tonight I am going to BJ's where there might be some wild caught salmon in the freezer section. I want to try to get that for my lox. I also need to go to Bed Bath and Beyond and see if they have a sealable soda bottle (they wanted $20 for the one at Williams Sonoma ) and a plastic strainer.

So far today we have got the coconut oil. Smaller then I thought it was going to be but still good. I just don't think it will last me 3 months. And yes this is what I ordered yesterday afternoon. And I think I will be getting my books today. I am so bad that when I went out today and got DS some sunglasses (my mom reminded me that DS hats from last year may still fit) I went into BN and browsed the NT book. It doesn't look like one that you can find quickly what you need if you have never opened the book before. TONS of information. I should have fun reading.

What is on everyone else's plate today?

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #112
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Off to do a huge grocery shopping! When I get home I'm starting a few fermenting veggies sourkraut, kimchi, ginger carrots....ginger beer, gingerale...
I ordered everything to make DS's formula too I can't wait for it to come and make him his first batch!
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #113
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Off to do a huge grocery shopping! When I get home I'm starting a few fermenting veggies sourkraut, kimchi, ginger carrots....ginger beer, gingerale...
I ordered everything to make DS's formula too I can't wait for it to come and make him his first batch!
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #114
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
Thanks for the links! I will add them to the first post.

Thanks for the links! I will add them to the first post too!

I just opened a thing of instant potatoes this week. However I don't plan on purchasing anymore and I have a lot of things that would be good with gravy in the freezer right now. I am seeing my food journey as from this point forward.

With the exception of today. Today is Ash Wednesday and we are Catholic. So DH tells me last night that we need to get fish for today and Friday. I knew this but with all the excitement for next week, this week has become a blur. So today I go to a normal grocery store and try to find some fish. I go to the frozen food section and everything is breaded. So I go to the fish section and none of the fish looks good (wild caught salmon with color added ). I decide that no matter what I do it will be "wrong" so, I grab some fish sticks and get that. We have some mac and cheese and some onion rings around here, so between the 2 we should have something to eat tonight. It is far from ideal, but if this is the last Ash Wednesday that we have to eat like this, it isn't that bad.

Tonight I am going to BJ's where there might be some wild caught salmon in the freezer section. I want to try to get that for my lox. I also need to go to Bed Bath and Beyond and see if they have a sealable soda bottle (they wanted $20 for the one at Williams Sonoma ) and a plastic strainer.

So far today we have got the coconut oil. Smaller then I thought it was going to be but still good. I just don't think it will last me 3 months. And yes this is what I ordered yesterday afternoon. And I think I will be getting my books today. I am so bad that when I went out today and got DS some sunglasses (my mom reminded me that DS hats from last year may still fit) I went into BN and browsed the NT book. It doesn't look like one that you can find quickly what you need if you have never opened the book before. TONS of information. I should have fun reading.

What is on everyone else's plate today?
Don't feel bad-I've been transitioning our diet since November and there's still sooooo much I need to do yet!

And I really need to start buying fish! Dh hates it so I never get it-my kids have never had fish I really need to introduce it to them, and make it on a regular basis (maybe make dh something else on those nights?)

And guess what I bought today...........

Now what on earth do I do with it lol!
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #115
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

what's everyone eating for supper tonight? We're having sloppy joes in the crock pot (organic ground beef with homemade sauce), whole wheat buns (hfcs free), organic tortilla chips, and organic apple slices Tonight's an easy night because I teach at church so I'm heading out as dh is coming home from work!

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 03-09-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #116
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Don't feel bad-I've been transitioning our diet since November and there's still sooooo much I need to do yet!

And I really need to start buying fish! Dh hates it so I never get it-my kids have never had fish I really need to introduce it to them, and make it on a regular basis (maybe make dh something else on those nights?)

And guess what I bought today...........

Now what on earth do I do with it lol!
- This really is a process isn't it?

I grew up around fish so for me it is always there. I even had an infertility doctor tell me to eat more fish (he has since retired but I followed his suggestion well).

As for your turnips I would roast them then sprinkle olive oil and salt and pepper on them. If they are like a potato then that would be good. There is a whole section in the NT book on veggies so if I get it today I will try to post a recipe for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
- I am

I want to see photos of your homemade formula. This intrigues me.

Quote:
what's everyone eating for supper tonight? We're having sloppy joes in the crock pot (organic ground beef with homemade sauce), whole wheat buns (hfcs free), organic tortilla chips, and organic apple slices Tonight's an easy night because I teach at church so I'm heading out as dh is coming home from work!
I am having fish sticks, with Mac and Cheese and onion rings. Tonight DH gets home at 6 and we have to go to dog training (DS and I are going to BJ's and BB&B) at 7:15 so it is a quick turn around today.

ETA I just thought of a riddle for me. Feel free to play along. In 2 years (about, God willing not exactly) I will be having my next child. For said child I will need to have a c-section (not even an option for me to not have one). So that will require a 4-5 day hospital stay (and God willing a baby that will room in with me. ). The hospital is 1 hour away (depending on traffic) and is a strange hospital that caters to the very young (level 3 NICU with 50+ beds) and the very old and very few in between (other then moms that just delivered or have complications... which as been me on both counts). Because of this salt is VERY hard to find (I have actually brought my own in the past) and fat is a 4 letter word (forget butter, margarine is scarce). The cafeteria is a joke and while I lived off that food for about 6 months (1 month prior to giving birth and 5 months during DD life), it was hardly a diet I would recommend.

So now I am thinking I need to think of ways to keep my diet next time I go in there. :headscratch Maybe foods I can heat up after I dispose of whatever they fed me (on the warm food plate), or other things. This will be a challenge but whatever I come up with will definitely be better then whatever they feed me.

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 03-09-2011 at 12:57 PM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #117
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

We had salmon patties for lunch today. That's about as fishy as it gets around here, unfortunately. Quality fish is so hard to find and sooooo expensive. My family loves them and they are ridiculously easy so I keep making them.

I am heading to the post office soon to send water kefir grains to six families and milk kefir to one. I'm a dork, but that's really exciting to me. I love being able to spread the probiotic goodness.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #118
emhammer0506
Registered Users

Ok - I haven't read this book - or even ordered it..

BUT - from what I've read - I'm following this also..

For us - it started with my mom. My mom was diagnosed with renal failure, heart failure.. She also has diabetes.. She lives with us and we take care of her. SO, after being diagnosed with renal failure, heart failure and including her diabetes. I had to start really looking at all the foods we ate - and what was in it.. I was like - well, my mom can't have this, can't have that.. And then I was like - what the heck - I'm not going to ingest this crap... And so, began my craziness...

I started to make everything from scratch - as much as I could... And I'm slowly doing more.. I then last year I did two more things.. I bought 1/2 a cow - grass-fed, no junk given.. (boy is that meat AWESOME.. I can't STAND any other meat now).. And then I found out about CSA's.. Man - I wish I knew about those sooner.. And so, we get fresh veggies, fruits, eggs, chickens through them.. And I started canning the extra's that we had.. So, I've been stocking my pantry with foods that are healthy for us all.. And no can's!!!

I'm also looking at starting to grind my own flour...

I took out cow's milk from our diet - I really didn't like what I was reading about it.. And we basically just drink water.. (my DD - she drinks hemp milk (which I make myself)).. And I use hemp milk - wherever milk is needed..

And I'm looking into kefir.. My DD LOVES yogurt.. So, really would like to replace it with something a little better for her!!

I've also gotten as crazy as - I make our own soap, I do the no-poo on myself, and the kiddies.. Hubby isn't interested (YET).. And we do family cloth, unpaper towels, etc...

I'll be excited to follow along and see other people's suggestions, and recipes...
Evelyn - Wife to the best hubby (05/06/05).., Mommy to H (8/4/08) with SPD - sensory seeker and S(12/7/10) with SPD - tactile defensive & possibly sensory seeker! We are a , donated breastmilk , , non-vaxing:, ing, non-circ family!!!
emhammer0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #119
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm_Mama View Post
We had salmon patties for lunch today. That's about as fishy as it gets around here, unfortunately. Quality fish is so hard to find and sooooo expensive. My family loves them and they are ridiculously easy so I keep making them.

I am heading to the post office soon to send water kefir grains to six families and milk kefir to one. I'm a dork, but that's really exciting to me. I love being able to spread the probiotic goodness.
thanks again for doing this! I'm so excited to try it
Old 03-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #120
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm_Mama View Post

- Yes thank you for doing this! I can't wait to get it and try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emhammer0506 View Post
Ok - I haven't read this book - or even ordered it..

BUT - from what I've read - I'm following this also..

For us - it started with my mom. My mom was diagnosed with renal failure, heart failure.. She also has diabetes.. She lives with us and we take care of her. SO, after being diagnosed with renal failure, heart failure and including her diabetes. I had to start really looking at all the foods we ate - and what was in it.. I was like - well, my mom can't have this, can't have that.. And then I was like - what the heck - I'm not going to ingest this crap... And so, began my craziness...

I started to make everything from scratch - as much as I could... And I'm slowly doing more.. I then last year I did two more things.. I bought 1/2 a cow - grass-fed, no junk given.. (boy is that meat AWESOME.. I can't STAND any other meat now).. And then I found out about CSA's.. Man - I wish I knew about those sooner.. And so, we get fresh veggies, fruits, eggs, chickens through them.. And I started canning the extra's that we had.. So, I've been stocking my pantry with foods that are healthy for us all.. And no can's!!!

I'm also looking at starting to grind my own flour...

I took out cow's milk from our diet - I really didn't like what I was reading about it.. And we basically just drink water.. (my DD - she drinks hemp milk (which I make myself)).. And I use hemp milk - wherever milk is needed..

And I'm looking into kefir.. My DD LOVES yogurt.. So, really would like to replace it with something a little better for her!!

I've also gotten as crazy as - I make our own soap, I do the no-poo on myself, and the kiddies.. Hubby isn't interested (YET).. And we do family cloth, unpaper towels, etc...

I'll be excited to follow along and see other people's suggestions, and recipes...
Sounds like you are doing very good on your own. I JUST got the book and it is full of information that you may or may not have already read. It it certainly interesting though. It is over 600 pages and the first 71 pages just talk about the philosophies and such. And that has 7 pages of references! So it is quite informative.

__

I got my complete meat cookbook too. Boy is that a bad book to get when you are fasting.