Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #131
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

I'm still figuring out my kefir! I didn't have a plastic strainer so I just ordered this one from Amazon. I'm hoping that the holes in it are small enough the kefir doesn't fall through!?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

I had emailed cultures for health asking them what type plastic the strainer they sell is, but they haven't gotten back to me. Theirs is a smaller strainer, but I have to know that the plastic is safe, I'm super picky about that. I had to order the one from Amazon because I was straining my kefir through this little plastic sprout lid made for a canning jar, lol. It was messy and time consuming. (Kefir grains aren't supposed to touch metal.) Anyway, I hope this works!

Advertisement

Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #132
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy589 View Post
I'm still figuring out my kefir! I didn't have a plastic strainer so I just ordered this one from Amazon. I'm hoping that the holes in it are small enough the kefir doesn't fall through!?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

I had emailed cultures for health asking them what type plastic the strainer they sell is, but they haven't gotten back to me. Theirs is a smaller strainer, but I have to know that the plastic is safe, I'm super picky about that. I had to order the one from Amazon because I was straining my kefir through this little plastic sprout lid made for a canning jar, lol. It was messy and time consuming. (Kefir grains aren't supposed to touch metal.) Anyway, I hope this works!
Christy, you are so much more knowledgeable about plastics than I am. Can you explain in a nutshell the danger in plastics if they aren't heated? For some reason I thought that made a difference, like heat releases the toxins or something. I just use a $3 plastic strainer from Target for my kefir. I'm sure it's not a "safe" plastic and I obviously wouldn't let my baby chew on it, but the kefir only touches the strainer for a minute so I thought it was okay.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #133
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

I just don't trust any plastics unless I know what type it is, and even then I am leery. I've done too much research on it. But you are right, so far the research says the main danger is when it is heated. Then again, stainless steel would only be touching the kefir for a minute and thats not ok? I dont know, I just had to buy one because I got rid of mine, so if I buy one I want it to be safe. *In my own head* the kefir is alive and active and might pull toxins out of the plastic. lol Now how is that for imagining things?!
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
Old 03-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #134
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

Thank you! I know you've done so much research, for which I am so grateful! I'd love to have you come rid my house of all the things that I *think* are safe. It stinks that we have to be so leery.

I did some more looking and it sounds like Cheeseslave says that a mesh strainer is ok, you just don't want to use a metal bowl. http://www.cheeseslave.com/2008/09/0...to-make-kefir/
I would think there are different metals used in mesh as well? I don't really know.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #135
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Oy! That kefir site confuses me! (linked to in the cheeseslave comments, Dom's site or whatever its called) Now I'm thinking the kefir might fall through that strainer I got. Agh.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #136
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

Dom's site is quite overwhelming. I don't think you'll have a problem with the grains falling through. Mine are all huge clumps like cauliflower. If one or two DO fall through, you can just scoop them out with a spoon.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #137
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Sorry to have taken over the thread with kefir thoughts here...

another question though, do you make kefir every day or do you put it in the fridge to rest and how often? I'm not sure yet how much kefir we will use up and now my grains are growing! What do you do with them once they grow? besides giving them away... ?

I mean, I wondered if I should store some in the freezer or what I should do next with the extras? I do have a friend here who was maybe wanting some...

Last edited by mercy589; 03-09-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #138
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Great Kiefir info!

Farm Mama - No problem! If you ever have extra just PM me if not no biggie

I saw you can get keifer grains at culturesforhealth...they have all kinds of good stuff.

So has anyone made the NT Gingerale? I just started some tonight, it was SUPER easy. I bought sparkling water to mix it with when it's done...I hope it's good! I get tired of drinking water...

Also, anyone do Kumbucha? I was watching a video on it at culturesforhealth.com and it looks really easy. The culture is $16 but then it lasts forever if you take care of it right....should I try it?
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #139
photocat
Registered Users

I strain my kefir through a stainless steel mesh strainer, into glass bottles and have found absolutely no difference than when I used a plastic strainer. The grains still multiply too darn quickly lol. That's milk kefir though, I'm now really curious to try the water kefir, after reading so much about it on here.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 AM   #140
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighty-night mama View Post
will be back later for my intro but I noticed no one posted this link, and I think it's one of the best other then the Weston A price foundation

http://gnowfglins.com/
Adding it to my blog roll-thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
So I made kimchi, ginger carrots, chicken stock, sourdough today...boiled eggs to have on hand, started ginger beer. Oh and grocery shopping to 4 stores and made roast chicken + rice pillaf for dinner. I still need to make a big batch of basic brown rice, mexican black bean salad and hummus for the week. Glad most everything is done, I'm tired!

I think I need to order NT, so I can get a better idea of what the above actually means After boiled eggs it kind of gets fuzzy lol!

Today is a busy day, since one of my dd's has a field trip (we're making our own pizzas at a pizza place and I will enjoy it ).
Then tonight is a huge budget meeting because our tax return is coming in tomorrow and we're going to be able to totally pay off a debt, and then redo our budget.......which hopefully means a bump in the grocery budget Right now it's $85 a week, and my ideal budget is $100.

I also need to figure out what to do with my turnips today!
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote