Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:43 AM   #141
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

emhammer0506 - I don't have time to read all 600 pages at once either. However I have been slowly chipping away at it since I got it yesterday afternoon. I am on page 36.

comom - Welcome! I will post your links for anyone that may need them.

nighty-night mama Thanks for the link! That site looks interesting.

mercy589 - Welcome! I agree this can be very overwhelming. I am not sure exactly what we are doing for lunches and breakfasts for the next 2 weeks. I am hoping to be more complete with my meal plans as I progress.

Does anyone have a chart that they use for this? I made something for the dinners but I think I need to think about lunches and breakfasts next time (2 weeks from Tuesday).

How do you like the CSA? I just looked that up for this area and they are around $600 for the season. Is that about normal for price?

Mom2ManyBlessings - That is impressive that you did all that with 6 kids! You are truely an inspiration!

Farm_Mama - I am getting my milk kefir grains from my raw milk supplier on Saturday.

Mom2ManyBlessings They also have Kombuncha starter (sorry forgot what it is called Scopie or something???) for only $10. However I don't like sweet tea so I don't know about it. Does it taste like sweet tea? Have you thought about getting that soda maker for natural sodas? http://www.sodastreamusa.com/ My inlaws swear by it. They live in Seattle (well outside but still King County) and they recently taxed all soda there so they went to this which isn't taxed. Of coarse they don't do things naturally.

myfrugalfunlife - Good luck with all that you need to do today. You should get the book. This is my favorite (stick with me) passage so far.
Quote:
Hydrogenation: This is the process that turns polyunsaturates, normally liquid at room temperature, into fats that at solid at room temperature - margarine and shortening. To produce them, manufactures begin with the cheapest oils - soy, corn, cottonseed or canola, already rancid from the extraction process - and mix them with tiny metal particles - usually nickle oxide. The oil with its nickel catalyst is then subjected to hydrogen gas in high-pressure, high temperature reactor. Next, soap-like emulsifiers and starch are squeezed into the mixture to give it a better consistency; the oil is yet again subjected to high temperatures when it is steam-cleaned. This removes its unpleasant odor. Margarine's natural color, an unappetizing grey, is removed by bleach. Dyes and strong flavors must be added to make it resemble butter. Finally, the mixture is compressed and packaged in blocks or tubs and sold as health food.
page 14

The recipes that I found in the book for Turnips are Turnip Puree, Glazed Turnips and Pickled Turnips.

BTW I will start a new thread on Sunday.

Advertisement

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 03-10-2011 at 05:45 AM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #142
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

That passage from the book is just gross! lol

We have a soda stream soda machine. Love it! Do not use the mixes though, they all have Splenda (or some other fake suagr?) in them. We just use it to carbonate the water and then add either our cream soda syrup, ginger syrup, or concentrated frozen fruit juice (makes the soda like an Izze drink). Yum! Totally a fun way to do soda. Its fun to have people over and serve them homemade soda.
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #143
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

We have a soda stream soda machine. Love it! Do not use the mixes though, they all have Splenda (or some other fake suagr?) in them. We just use it to carbonate the water and then add either our cream soda syrup, ginger syrup, or concentrated frozen fruit juice (makes the soda like an Izze drink). Yum! Totally a fun way to do soda. Its fun to have people over and serve them homemade soda.
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #144
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy589 View Post

Cool! Maybe DH and I will look into it. DH said last night that he was going to stop soda because I will not likely go to that store very often on this diet. Maybe I will tell him that he can go to that and it would be much the same effect. Which model do you have or recommend?

I just found out what is wrong with my family. In the book they talked about iodine shortages in the body and what it does. My family has nearly EVERY condition listed there. They also said that this is common in people from sea faring areas. My family is Norwegian.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #145
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
How do you like the CSA? I just looked that up for this area and they are around $600 for the season. Is that about normal for price?
Jennifer, the CSA I'm doing this year is $500 for the season, but every CSA is a little different, so the value really depends on what you're getting for your money. The one I'm doing guarantees me at least $640 worth of produce and fresh flowers every week, so I think it's a great deal for $500. Personally, I've always loved getting unusual produce from my CSA and trying out something new.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #146
emhammer0506
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmom77 View Post
Jennifer, the CSA I'm doing this year is $500 for the season, but every CSA is a little different, so the value really depends on what you're getting for your money. The one I'm doing guarantees me at least $640 worth of produce and fresh flowers every week, so I think it's a great deal for $500. Personally, I've always loved getting unusual produce from my CSA and trying out something new.
We paid $1900 for 3 seasons - also large size boxes.. (Which feeds our 3 adults, 1 toddler- who eats as much as some adults).. PLUS some left over for canning...

That is also for 2 chickens a month, and a doz eggs a week... So that comes to about $238 a month.. Personally, I feel it is worth it knowing that everything is organic , gmo free.. And I'm supporting locally...

Keep in mind there is no guarantee with it.. If a crop doesn't do good, or bad weather or something - you could get less.. BUT, if it is doing great - you get more.. YKWIM? ALSO - don't get to say what you get.. We loved it for that though - it made us try different things...
Evelyn - Wife to the best hubby (05/06/05).., Mommy to H (8/4/08) with SPD - sensory seeker and S(12/7/10) with SPD - tactile defensive & possibly sensory seeker! We are a , donated breastmilk , , non-vaxing:, ing, non-circ family!!!
emhammer0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #147
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Super helpful post here: http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/how-to...e-it-healthier

which model soda stream - I think they are all pretty similar. I reviewed one on my blog once. Its definitely fun, sort of expensive, but if you cut out soda then its worth it!

Our chiro/ kinesiologist has us take iodine when we are congested with colds, it helps break up the congestion. Its just like a drop a day in water. I'm sure you could get some. interesting.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #148
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What's everyone having for breakfast, lunch and dinner today?

Breakfast: Hard Boiled Eggs and Bananas

Lunch: Black Bean Quinoa Salad with Organic Tortilla Chips

Dinner: Chicken Noodle Soup with Sourdough Bread

Snacks: Carrot Sticks + Hummus, Sprouted Tortillas w/Butter
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #149
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by Mom2ManyBlessings; 03-10-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #150
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
What's everyone having for breakfast, lunch and dinner today?

Breakfast: Hard Boiled Eggs and Bananas

Lunch: Black Bean Quinoa Salad with Organic Tortilla Chips

Dinner: Chicken Noodle Soup with Sourdough Bread

Snacks: Carrot Sticks + Hummus, Sprouted Tortillas w/Butter
not a good day to ask this
-breakfast was organic yogurt with strawberries and blueberries mixed in-so that was good.....but then we had a field trip at a pizza place for lunch
It was so cool though! We got to in the back of the restaurant and the kids got to make their own pizzas, flip the dough in the air (they really do this! I though this was just in movies lol), and the watch them go through the oven. So-definitely not NT, but it was a lot of fun
-supper will be ham steaks, mashed potatoes with butter, asparagus, clementines, and then rolls from the bread maker. Unfortunately I can't find white whole wheat bread flour so I'm using regular white bread flour bleh!

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 03-10-2011 at 12:15 PM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote