Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #161
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaeriksen View Post
Thanks for the link! That explained it really well. I wish I had some buttermilk, I would make her soaked pancakes recipe tomorrow. I need to go grocery shopping!
Lisa, your milk kefir should be arriving tomorrow, I hope. It can be used to soak!
That won't help you for breakfast tomorrow though.

You can use milk and vinegar as well. It just needs to be an acidic liquid.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 AM   #162
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari.b View Post
This made me laugh! Not at your choices, just your commentary on it! LOL I think you are probably far from the worst mom (do not ask how many cookies my kid has eaten today...)

This thread has blown up in just a couple of days that I have been gone!
Well I decided I could do better for DS dinner so I did. He asked for cerial again but I offered an egg and he went for it. So then I cooked him an egg (side note coconut oil is AMAZING! nothing sticks to it!!!) and cut up a mango for him. I proceded to eat the rest of the mango because it was good and DS ate it last. He then asked for another egg. So I cooked another one and mango (already ate by me). Then I got my dinner (left over fish sticks) and he ate peas, one of my fish sticks and some onion rings. So I did fairly well for DS at dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari.b View Post
This blog post gives a great overview of soaking flour. Basically you just use roughly the same amount of liquids that your recipe calls for, only you use something acidic.
Thanks! I will post your link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife View Post
Wanted to let everyone know that I've decided to give up DS for belated Lent
I need to work on prioritizing my time better, and I spend waaaay to much time on DS

I hope this thread continues to thrive, and I'll be sure to look for it when I come back after Easter!
Bye bye! See you in about 38 days (plus Sundays).

Today is another grocery run, after I get DS playset delivered and 3 tons of rock. Can't wait to get started.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #163
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Well, after dinner last night, DD and I were watching "Cake Boss" and I suddenly felt the urge to bake. I baking. I think I did relatively well... I used a chocolate pound cake recipe and substituted the shortening with raw coconut oil, the buttermilk with regular milk (I didn't have buttermilk in the house), and the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour (didn't have time to soak it, though). Most of the ingredients I used were organic. The only thing I did poorly with was the sugar (I used up what was left of my Splenda baking blend instead of any type of real sugar). It turned out delicious! It has a light coconutty flavor and the texture of the whole wheat pastry flour was just right... and it's definitely healthier than the original recipe would have been.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #164
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

Do you guys do sourdough? I am loving it!! This bread recipe is perfection, and I'm finding it to be so much easier than traditional bread plus I don't have to worry about running out of yeast!

I'm going to try this chocolate sourdough cake this weekend. DS has a birthday coming up and I'd like to do something besides my standard whole wheat chocolate cake.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #165
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm_Mama View Post
Do you guys do sourdough? I am loving it!! This bread recipe is perfection, and I'm finding it to be so much easier than traditional bread plus I don't have to worry about running out of yeast!

I'm going to try this chocolate sourdough cake this weekend. DS has a birthday coming up and I'd like to do something besides my standard whole wheat chocolate cake.
Did you make your own starter? I'm interested, just haven't taken the time to figure it out yet. That recipe looks great though. Another kitchen pet.... lol. I need to keep my kefir alive a bit longer, then maybe I can get another pet.

Today:
B - soaked pancakes from heavenly homemakers, with my kefir

L- peanut butter and honey sandwiches on ww bread, smoothies - kefir, spinach, banana, frozen strawberries and peaches (my bread was not soaked, and my chiropractor said something about peanut butter going rancid pretty quickly and not being very good for you? sigh. I need to figure that out...)

D- tacos at a friends house. I'm bringing clementines and grapes.
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #166
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do sourdough w/my own starter. I posted the step by steps a few days ago
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #167
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Today

B: Hard Boiled Eggs, Bananas

L: Sandwhiches w/Sprouted Bread, Chicken from stock I made, Lettuce and Tomatoes w/Carrots and Hummus

D: Spaghetti w/homemade Meatballs, Sourdough Bread, Green Beans and Salad

Dessert: NT Blueberry Cobbler

Snacks: Popcorn (popped w/coconut oil and topped w/butter) , Carrot Sticks
Old 03-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #168
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dp

Last edited by Mom2ManyBlessings; 03-11-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #169
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Darn it! My Preserve colander arrived and its holes are too big for the kefir. Grrrr....
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #170
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to play the meal game. I'm not as cool as the rest of you, but I'll try. I don't soak my grains yet. I need to read up on that (will be checking the Heavenly Homemaker link).

Breakfast: Whole Wheat Pancakes, Cantaloupe

Morning Snack: Extruded Cereal Product (Cascadian Farm organic though-does that help at all? )

Lunch: Salmon Patties (from Mari.b's blog-I used pounch salmon instead of canned-can't do the skin and bones ) on Homemade whole wheat buns, Lettuce Salad w/ Homemade Ranch Dressing, Craisins and Smoothies (homemade yogurt, homemade grape jelly for sweetener-b/c it didn't gel properly, spinach, blueberries and strawberries)

Afternoon Snack: Egg Salad and homemade cheese crackers

Dinner: Creamed Tuna on Brown Rice, Carrot sticks w/ hummus, Apple Slices
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote