Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #41
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

So happy to come across this thread! I'm excited to swap ideas with you all.

We've been eating the NT way for a couple years now. Even though I don't do all things perfectly, I can't imagine ever going back. Looks like everyone is sharing what they do now and some goals so I'll follow suit with the things that come to mind at the moment.

Currently we....

*Take fermented cod liver oil from Green Pasture
*Grow a huge organic garden(hoping to start our own CSA soon!!)
*Get pastured eggs from a friend(until I can convince DH to let me have chickens)
*Eat lots of yummy organic grass-fed raw dairy
*Do all brown, no white(rice, wheat, sweetener, etc)
*Use only raw honey, local maple syrup, and sucanat for sweeteners
*Grind our own grains
*Soak as much as possible
*Trying to get the hang of sourdough
*Brew and enjoy lots of dairy and water kefir
*Just started fermenting veggies last fall
*Eat lots of coconut oil

Things I want to do better...

*Find a consistent(affordable) source of grass-fed beef. There is a local brand that some stores carry around here, but I'd really like to buy a cow.
*Be more consistent with soaking and soak longer - so often I don't think of it until a few hours before I need to start cooking
*Experiment with cheese making

I rarely set foot in a grocery store. That is probably one of my favorite parts of eating the way we do. Our milk comes from a farm right near our own and we order pretty much everything else from Azure Standard. I Azure, I don't know what I'd do without it.

Most everything I've learned has come from real food blogs. Some of my favorites are Heavenly Homemakers, Nourished Kitchen, Cooking God's Way, Food Renegade, Nourishing Gourmet, Passionate Homemaking, and Kitchen Stewardship.

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #42
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No I am not really living on here... there is an issue on the board that I moderate (different site) so I am having to stay on here with not much to do.

Courtney - Does fermented cod liver oil have that awful taste that my grandmother runs in the other direction just thinking about? Or is that caused by rancid oil?

I wish I could get Azure Standard but there is no drop point near me as best I can tell.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #43
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
No I am not really living on here... there is an issue on the board that I moderate (different site) so I am having to stay on here with not much to do.

Courtney - Does fermented cod liver oil have that awful taste that my grandmother runs in the other direction just thinking about? Or is that caused by rancid oil?

I wish I could get Azure Standard but there is no drop point near me as best I can tell.
i subscribed to this thread so it's going to look like I'm stalking it too
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #44
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post

I don't think the FCLO is bad at all. We like the arctic mint flavor best. The kids actually ask for it if I happen to forget. The only one who is not a fan of it is the 2yr old. She's a strong willed little bugger.
One of my IRL friends has the oslo orange and I tried that - it was nasty. I've heard that the cinnamon tingle is pretty good. Lots of kids will take it mixed with applesauce. One thing we've learned is that you do NOT want to take a drink of water after your FCLO shot. It's almost like when you put the fish back in water it comes alive. It sounds crazy, but the water really amplifies the fishiness.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #45
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm_Mama View Post
I don't think the FCLO is bad at all. We like the arctic mint flavor best. The kids actually ask for it if I happen to forget. The only one who is not a fan of it is the 2yr old. She's a strong willed little bugger.
One of my IRL friends has the oslo orange and I tried that - it was nasty. I've heard that the cinnamon tingle is pretty good. Lots of kids will take it mixed with applesauce. One thing we've learned is that you do NOT want to take a drink of water after your FCLO shot. It's almost like when you put the fish back in water it comes alive. It sounds crazy, but the water really amplifies the fishiness.
Ooo thanks for the tip! I will have to get the cinnamon since DH is a bit freaked out by the fish oil in juice concept.

Ugg! I don't have the NT book yet (it shipped but I haven't got it yet) and I have to place my milk order by Tuesday. So I am trying to figure out how much stuff I need from my milk place to get me through 2 weeks (drop points are every 2 weeks). We are going to run out of cerial this week and I am not purchasing more. I have pancake mix and oatmeal (old fashion not steel cut... is that what is better??) to hold us over till I figure out what we will be eating for breakfast. My thought is DS and I can have a kefir smoothie and an egg or something like that. I have the meal plan but that is only one week, however tomorrow I get the new one. Talk about timing!

I have just never had to shop like this where I order and plan for something like this. I am spoiled and thought I could just go to the grocery store and get something. I guess I can still do that but I am REALLY trying not to.

We have a Trader Joes near us (it opened about a year ago but I have yet to go). Do they have things like Coconut oil or anything that is good for this? I am almost considering going on a "look see" trip around town.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #46
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife View Post
I'm have a strict grocery budget ($340 a month for a family of five and we eat all meals from home).
I've just gotten creative-making things from scratch, getting a Costco membership, finding organic produce on the reduced produce rack at Meijer, using my sb gift cards to buy organic/natural items off of Amazon etc etc.

If you have a tight budget, just pick one area to focus on and then go from there Maybe switch out your regular bleached flour to a whole wheat option, or start buying butter instead of margarine etc etc. There's so many things we can do that will have a positive effect on our health
thanks for the encouragement! my grocery budget is similar and we also eat every single meal at home (or pack it). I just got a costco membership recently too and I LOVE it!!

I've been cooking from scratch for quite a while...but felt I could make some great changes when a friend really helped push me into NT style cooking

It has turned out to be even better for my budget and we FEEL soooooo much better (energy levels etc...)

I soak our oatmeal every night in kefir. (2C old fashioned oats and 1/4 c kefir plus 2C warm water) Then I just cook it in 2C more water in the morning.

I buy organic chickens...worth the extra dollar per pound to know that they don't have cancer.....and I poach 2 chickens at the same time in a big stock pot once a week. I freeze half the meat, and put the other half in our fridge to use as "lunchmeat" DH eats this on whole wheat pita pocket with home made saurkraut (NT) as the condiment with sliced tomatos...he likes it better than deli meat sandwich....who knew? It is SO much cheaper and healthier! After I poach the chickens, I use the broth and bones that have been picked clean to make stock....I add vinegar and let it simmer all day, turn off overnight, turn back on in the morning and simmer all day, then cool, strain and store in the freezer in manageable portions to add to recipies.

I also buy organic ground beef and as much produce as i can (but especially spinnach, apples, carrots, potatos and anything on sale)

I sweeten with honey as much as possible....got some awesome local raw honey for cheap recently.

I make pumpkin muffins with 100% whole wheat flour (soaked overnight in kefir) and use a very small amount of sugar, plus molassas....I modified an old recipie I had from "before"....and after 3 tries/variations can consistently make pumpkin muffins with a nice, pretty normal, consistency (not bricks). I freeze these and let thaw as needed to give to my kids for breakfast on the go, snack or to supplement a meal when we're having one of "those" days.

We try very hard to avoid white sugar and white flour....we're not perfect, but its been going very well over all

I usually eat leftovers for lunch and the kids eat little bits of lots of things.

I only use butter or olive oil I already HATED margarine with a passion....so it was easy to ditch the other veg. oils in my pantry.

As a result of all these changes....my super skinny older daughter gained a few pounds and is looking a lot healthier already! My hubby has much more engergy to sustain his PhD workload, I have energy to get through the day without a nap (even though the baby wakes me up all night long to nurse), my milk supply is AWESOME (thank you soaked oatmeal), and my baby has rolls and rolls of chubby cuteness (thank you butter).

I love it! We also do the fermented high vitamin butter oil fish oil stuff (expensive)...it is nasty tasting...but the kids take it with a spoonful of orange juice....as do hubby and I.

I've started making Kombucha....and it is going well It actually tastes pretty good. I've made beet kvass too....which is easy and also tastes pretty good.

I feel like we've found a pretty good system....hope to make more changes in the future....more organic meat and farm eggs....plus raw milk someday....but now isn't the right time for our budget for all of that. I did find that by not buying any more junk food...I could better afford the organic meat and produce that I do buy...which was a happy surprise!
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #47
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

I am excited to see this thread! I just found out on Friday that I almost definitely have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and my option according to the medical community is "medication until menopause", but that just doesn't sit well with me, so I've been doing non-stop research since I found out. I read on a PCOS forum about the Paleolithic diet, which is similar to Nourishing Traditions but more strict, it cuts out dairy and anything that can't be eaten raw (like grains and legumes). Low carb is really important since its highly likely that I have some form of insulin resistance. I am on day 2 of eating mostly paleo, hopefully tomorrow will be day 1 fully paleo (I ate hummus today). I may or may not add some stuff back in later, elimination diet style.
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #48
swalker97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So, if I soak wheat to sprout, then what? How do you "fix" it?
Can you sprout pinto beans? If so, then what?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #49
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyaurora View Post
I would LOVE this recipe if you were willing to share!
Sure! I got it from an Above Rubies magazine Issue #76

This is for a few loafs at a time, but you can cut it in 1/2 or even 1/4, but this is the orginial recipe

Sour Dough Bread

Ingredients:
2 Quarts Home Grown Rye-Fed Sour Dough Starter
6 1/2 Cups of Rye Flour
6 1/2 Cups Spelt Flour
2 1/12 TBSP Sea Salt
1 1/2 Quarts Water - More or Less as needed. The important thing is to get the right gooey, wet, oatmeal porridge consistency.

Method:
1. Put all ingredients in order in a large pot or bowl and knead with a big wooden rolling pin (or wooden spoon or some other device) by pulling the pin towards you and pushing it away from you - about 5 minutes, or 10 for those who want extra tones arms. You can even get your hands into the gooey mixture and kneed, washing well when finished. You cannot knead this mixture on the counter. It is meant to look and feel like goo.

2. To check for the perfect consistency, test midway kneading, rather than at the beginning as it will get thicker when the gluten fibers start coming together.

3. Put in buttered pans to rise. I raise my bread for at lease seven hours for a good rise. Sometimes you will get the height you want after only four house but the phytates will not be removed until at least seven hours. I either make bread in the morning and bake for evening dinner or make it in the evening and bake for breakfast.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour

5. If you want to go all the way, you can put a pan of water in the vottom tray underneath the pans, which steams your bread. Cook your bread in ceramic bread tins for an excellent crust.

6. To put this gooey mixture into your tins, wet a ceral bowl, dip it into the bowl and flop it into you pans. Each pan should be a generous half full. Wet your hands and flatten the bread with the slap of a wet palm.

Yum!
Also, if you don't already have a starter here's how she says to start one

Sour Dough Starter
Method:
1. In a sterilized bowl (pour boiling water over it to sterilize) add one cup of rye flour and one cup of pure water. Keep it on your counter top with a breathable cloth. Every day for seven days swap it to a new clean sterilized bowl and add one extra cup of rye flour and one extra cup of water. You swap bowls to make sure you do not catch bad bacteria while catching your wild yeast from the air.

2. After seven days your starter should be bubbly and spongy and should smell good and sour. If you have caught your yeast, put your new starter into a clean home, a platic or glass bowl that will hold three quarts of liquid. Never use metal. There is no need to switch bowls any more.

3. It is now a family pet. Take it out and clean its home once a month. Feed it one cup of flour and one cup of water every day. Cover with a breathable cloth-I use a nylon mesh bag from the regular painting store. These are fantastic and allow air in and keep insects out.

4. When you feed your starter and stir it around, you may only use platic or wooden utensils. No metal please or you will kill your new pet.

5. Use your starter and bake again when your starter has grown back. Always leave at least one cup to grow within its starter house. If you caught a good starter your bread should rise nice and lofty and never be like a brick.

There's some helpful hints to but I'll have to post those later as my wrists are killing me after typing all that out
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #50
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker97 View Post
So, if I soak wheat to sprout, then what? How do you "fix" it?
Can you sprout pinto beans? If so, then what?
What do you want to make with your wheat? Are you soaking wheat berries or already ground wheat?

Yes, you can soak and sprout beans. What do you want to do with them? The next step depends on their final use But pretty much you use them in your recipe as needed.
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote