Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #51
photocat's Avatar
photocat
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,539
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Wow, that is a GREAT step by step to sourdough! I have tried it for quite a while before and I don't think I once got a satisfactory loaf, also using spelt and rye. I had so many failures and wasted so much good flour I gave it up for the time being. I may be tempted to start again, thanks to your fabulous instructions, I was sort of flying blind before.

Advertisement

__________________
Mum to 3 boys, Hunter '05, Rowan '08 and Lightning, stillborn 2011

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #52
3 ladybugs's Avatar
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,768
My Mood:
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymama1 View Post
I soak our oatmeal every night in kefir. (2C old fashioned oats and 1/4 c kefir plus 2C warm water) Then I just cook it in 2C more water in the morning.

...

I only use butter or olive oil I already HATED margarine with a passion....so it was easy to ditch the other veg. oils in my pantry.

...

I've started making Kombucha....and it is going well It actually tastes pretty good. I've made beet kvass too....which is easy and also tastes pretty good.
Thanks! That sounds easy for the oatmeal. I also haven't used margarine in YEARS. I remember my grandmother having an argument with my grandfather once because she got that fake spray butter. Grandma was saying it tastes just like butter and grandpa was asking how she could tell since she hated butter. Sorry for the tangent it just reminded me of it.

Kombuncha scares be a bit. I think I am going to wait to try that.

Oh I found this source that has some great videos on Kefir, Sourdough and such. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleece Be With You View Post
I am excited to see this thread! I just found out on Friday that I almost definitely have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and my option according to the medical community is "medication until menopause", but that just doesn't sit well with me, so I've been doing non-stop research since I found out. I read on a PCOS forum about the Paleolithic diet, which is similar to Nourishing Traditions but more strict, it cuts out dairy and anything that can't be eaten raw (like grains and legumes). Low carb is really important since its highly likely that I have some form of insulin resistance. I am on day 2 of eating mostly paleo, hopefully tomorrow will be day 1 fully paleo (I ate hummus today). I may or may not add some stuff back in later, elimination diet style.
Welcome!
I know I should be asking this on the other thread but why is your doctor saying you need to be on Met for the rest of your life? I only take any of those drugs till I get pregnant then I am off of them. I am insulin resistant (according only to my RE, not any of my other doctors).

Mom2ManyBlessings - Thanks for the recipe!
__________________
Jennifer (37) - Wife since 12/2003 with 5 children - 3 waiting for me in heaven , and 2 delighting me everyday ! Lymphoma survivor and mother to baby born post pelvic radiation!
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #53
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 16,918
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

ok-I'm a bit of a blog junkie Here's another one I follow, and it's focus is on real food-she's also starting a challenge for her readers, to switch to real food through 100 days of mini-challenges
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 03-07-2011 at 07:12 AM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #54
CASMama711's Avatar
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,195
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife View Post
I also just started running and it's awesome! I haven't exercised in years and I'm so out of shape, but it feels great to get outside (even in the snow lol), and work on improving my health! I started a Couch to 5K support thread down in the healthy living forum if anyone's interested
I did Couch to 5K 2 years ago and it was great! I had never run in my life and now I run 2-3 times/week and love it. I wouldn't have been able to do it without Couch to 5K!

I'm taking baby steps, but here's what I've done in the past 24 hours:
sorted through my pantry and pulled out a few pre-packaged items to donate to a food pantry
packed leftovers for my lunch today instead of a Lean Cuisine
have dinner cooking in the crock pot today (pasture-raised beef roast with fresh veggies cooking in free-range chicken broth)

In the next couple of days I'm planning to register for our summer CSA and decide what to give up for Lent (probably some sort of food item that I shouldn't be eating anyway).
__________________
Christian WOHMama to DD1 7/07 and twins DD2 and DS 11/11
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #55
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 16,918
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmom77 View Post
I did Couch to 5K 2 years ago and it was great! I had never run in my life and now I run 2-3 times/week and love it. I wouldn't have been able to do it without Couch to 5K!

I'm taking baby steps, but here's what I've done in the past 24 hours:
sorted through my pantry and pulled out a few pre-packaged items to donate to a food pantry
packed leftovers for my lunch today instead of a Lean Cuisine
have dinner cooking in the crock pot today (pasture-raised beef roast with fresh veggies cooking in free-range chicken broth)

In the next couple of days I'm planning to register for our summer CSA and decide what to give up for Lent (probably some sort of food item that I shouldn't be eating anyway).
Today I need to start planning my next four week menu cycle. I need to do a kitchen inventory to start, which always takes some time!

I feel like I'm kind of stuck in neutral right now-just waiting for the farmers markets to start opening in May/June, which is when I'll also be able to start my container garden I'm soooo ready for winter to be over!

Maybe I should start researching kefir, and how to make it? I also want to learn how to make tortilla shells from scratch so that would be a good project to work on.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #56
3 ladybugs's Avatar
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,768
My Mood:
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife View Post
Today I need to start planning my next four week menu cycle. I need to do a kitchen inventory to start, which always takes some time!

I feel like I'm kind of stuck in neutral right now-just waiting for the farmers markets to start opening in May/June, which is when I'll also be able to start my container garden I'm soooo ready for winter to be over!

Maybe I should start researching kefir, and how to make it? I also want to learn how to make tortilla shells from scratch so that would be a good project to work on.
Go to that Cultures for life link that I have in my pp. That site is amazing! I really wanted to just do milk kefir (since I have frozen fruit left over from my neutropenic diet ) and I want to make smoothies. But now I am really wanting to try greek yogurt and water kefir.

I am making my last E-mealz today and then we are freezer diving or pantry diving. I am hoping to start my NT plan next week.

Today I am also going to go to Trader Joes and Whole Foods and see if I can get a better price on Sucanat or Coconut oil and see what else they have that I may get at a better price.
__________________
Jennifer (37) - Wife since 12/2003 with 5 children - 3 waiting for me in heaven , and 2 delighting me everyday ! Lymphoma survivor and mother to baby born post pelvic radiation!
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #57
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 16,918
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
Go to that Cultures for life link that I have in my pp. That site is amazing! I really wanted to just do milk kefir (since I have frozen fruit left over from my neutropenic diet ) and I want to make smoothies. But now I am really wanting to try greek yogurt and water kefir.

I am making my last E-mealz today and then we are freezer diving or pantry diving. I am hoping to start my NT plan next week.

Today I am also going to go to Trader Joes and Whole Foods and see if I can get a better price on Sucanat or Coconut oil and see what else they have that I may get at a better price.
I'll check out that link-thanks! And I've heard really good things about TJs-I wish we had one near us! We don't have a WF near us either, but it sounds like they've caved to Monsanto with gmos
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1162233

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 03-07-2011 at 08:24 AM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #58
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 16,918
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

also if anyone's interested-there's a fb group that's focused on healthy eating. I've gotten lots of great article links from them!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...97404666945922
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #59
swalker97's Avatar
swalker97
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 1,486
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings

What do you want to make with your wheat? Are you soaking wheat berries or already ground wheat?

Yes, you can soak and sprout beans. What do you want to do with them? The next step depends on their final use But pretty much you use them in your recipe as needed.
I have no idea what I want to do with them. That's why I'm asking.
I was going to try sprouting wheat berries, but have no clue how to use them after sprouting.
__________________
Shannon Wife, WAHM of 6- Chandler 19, Brandi 17, Trinity 9, James 5, Our tiny Angel Alex (11-8-08)Due to pPROM @ 20w, and Joshua 3
Our newest additions, JOSHUA ANDREW, born 1/27/10 at 28 weeks
swalker97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #60
swalker97's Avatar
swalker97
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 1,486
My Mood:
Hey, could OP maybe copy all the great links to the first post so they are easy to find???
__________________
Shannon Wife, WAHM of 6- Chandler 19, Brandi 17, Trinity 9, James 5, Our tiny Angel Alex (11-8-08)Due to pPROM @ 20w, and Joshua 3
Our newest additions, JOSHUA ANDREW, born 1/27/10 at 28 weeks
swalker97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.