Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #71
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

I am also interested in the water kefir grains. I don't think I need to make 1/2 gallon though. I only have qt size jars right now. PM me where to send paypal (also with cc fees what it would be) and I will send payment today.

I can get milk kefir this weekend from my raw milk supplier.

I tried the kefir smoothie and I love it! It tastes great and can't wait to get it with creamy milk! I saved some for DH so he can try it when he gets home.

I also updated the first post. Let me know what you think and if I forgot anything.

ETA I have to share this somewhat funny story. When I got diagnosed with cancer, they didn't really know what it was initially. I was at a infertility doctor and at first the ultrasound tech thought that my cancer was actually just bowel. So I went home and purchased activia and ate all the yogurt I could find for next 10 days till my next ultrasound. When it showed it still there, I stopped with the yogurt. I think it is funny that now I can't wait to eat all these probiotics. Oh and I have come a long way from not being able to eat anything remotely raw a year ago, to now getting raw milk and such. My neutropenic diet was all dead stuff for fear of infection (that would have hospitalized me).

Advertisement

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 03-07-2011 at 12:15 PM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #72
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I am also interested in the water kefir grains. I don't think I need to make 1/2 gallon though. I only have qt size jars right now. PM me where to send paypal (also with cc fees what it would be) and I will send payment today.

I also updated the first post. Let me know what you think and if I forgot anything.
I'll PM you.

Just a note: You don't HAVE to make a 1/2 gallon. You can make as little as you want, it probably doesn't take as long for it to ferment though and you'd want to adjust the sugar accordingly.

The links look great, thank you!!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #73
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama! Sent you pp and pm.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #74
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

ok-last blog link of the day Some great recipes on this one!
http://wholefoodforthewholefamily.blogspot.com/
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 AM   #75
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay I had a minor (major) freak out last night when I thought that I would be making a corned beef with a $24 (3 lbs) piece of meat. While this would be great since it was pastured and all, I decided that isn't practical. So now I am going to go through my list of things that I am going to make and write down my grocery list of what to purchase when. I might even set DS in front of the TV while doing so and go back to Whole Foods today to get some things. I need to plan for 2 weeks since I need to get milk and eggs to last that long.

So now I am looking at my food budget for the next 2 weeks (a bit over $200) and trying to figure out how to stay in it. Oh and my book got stuck in Allentown (isn't that a Billy Joel song?) yesterday so I doubt I will get it today either (just left Allentown).

Does anyone know if Celery juice is widely available?

What kinds of grains do they recommend in NT? I am talking breakfast and such.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 AM   #76
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Double post

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 03-08-2011 at 04:42 AM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #77
lisaeriksen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Red face Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Hello!
Just wanted to thank you for this thread and all the great info! It came up at the perfect time because I just changed our diets 2 weeks ago.

My potty trained 2yr old son is having some constipation issues that is making him scared to "go", so he's holding it. I started researching foods that cause this and those that help and have now changed our whole family's diet! My husband wasn't too happy when I first told him, but he eats whatever I put in front of him so it's not too big of a deal. He first complained because he wanted food that "tastes good". But all the meals that I've made this week he has liked He is very overweight and I am hoping this not only helps him shed pounds but get healthier in general. One of the first changes I made was adding Kefir and Flax seeds to our diet in the form of smoothies. I've also added Quinoa but I have yet to find a recipe that we like. The texture is not appealing to us. I'm going to try one tonight that has almonds and apples in it. I also cut out pre-packaged foods, but they are still in our pantry. I don't plan on buying anymore.

Last night sitting at dinner I compared the sodium of what we had just eaten to what we "normally" would have made. Just by changing the side dishes (didn't use any pre-packaged sides) I cut out nearly 60% of our sodium (and tons of other chemicals, no doubt!).

I got a book at the library the other day, The Eat Clean Diet Cookbook. It has over 150 recipes. Has anyone else read that one? The recipes look really yummy! I also just purchased (sort of by accident with the "one-click" amazon purchase button) the Nourishing Traditions book. It has some great info too! I haven't read it through yet but will. I'm wondering if it has info about raw milk? I'm just curious what the benefits are to it and why everyone wants it so bad? I told my mom about raw milk and she freaked out and told me not to get it because it can be dangerous. I don't have a source that I trust so I probably won't get any. My milk just says "pastuerized" on it. How do I tell if it's "ultra-high pastuerized"?

Oh, and we've always had our own chickens. I haven't bought eggs at the store for 15 years. I recently started giving some to friends and neighbors because we get 10-12 eggs everyday!
lisaeriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #78
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Okay I had a minor (major) freak out last night when I thought that I would be making a corned beef with a $24 (3 lbs) piece of meat. While this would be great since it was pastured and all, I decided that isn't practical. So now I am going to go through my list of things that I am going to make and write down my grocery list of what to purchase when. I might even set DS in front of the TV while doing so and go back to Whole Foods today to get some things. I need to plan for 2 weeks since I need to get milk and eggs to last that long.

So now I am looking at my food budget for the next 2 weeks (a bit over $200) and trying to figure out how to stay in it. Oh and my book got stuck in Allentown (isn't that a Billy Joel song?) yesterday so I doubt I will get it today either (just left Allentown).

Does anyone know if Celery juice is widely available?

What kinds of grains do they recommend in NT? I am talking breakfast and such.
That's the part I'm struggling with. We have a strict grocery budget, and right now until some more of our debt is paid off, I can't go over it.

We should be paying off one debt this week if our federal return comes through, and then we're reevaluating our budget so I may request to round our grocery budget up to $100 a week (right now it's $85)-but we've already bumped it up from $50 a week the past few months, and since dh still isn't too excited about this whole thing I don't know what he'll say? So right now I just focus on what I can do, and try not to get down about not being able to do everything kwim? Eventually I'll get there!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #79
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html#ct Here is where you can get raw milk in CT. It looks like you have some great sources and unlike Florida (where my mom is) you don't have to say you are getting it for your pet. I would visit the farm and look at the cows. If they have un-proportioned utters then you know that they may not be great. Look for cleaniless and such too.

I am going to get my raw milk from a source that I have heard great things about and everyone around here seems to get their raw milk from. The farm is 3 hours away so I didn't see it, but I don't believe people would rave about it this much if it was bad.

As for why raw milk is better, http://www.realmilk.com/what.html This should help you!

1 week figured out, 1 left. :jump:
Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #80
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html#ct Here is where you can get raw milk in CT. It looks like you have some great sources and unlike Florida (where my mom is) you don't have to say you are getting it for your pet. I would visit the farm and look at the cows. If they have un-proportioned utters then you know that they may not be great. Look for cleaniless and such too.

I am going to get my raw milk from a source that I have heard great things about and everyone around here seems to get their raw milk from. The farm is 3 hours away so I didn't see it, but I don't believe people would rave about it this much if it was bad.

As for why raw milk is better, http://www.realmilk.com/what.html This should help you!

1 week figured out, 1 left. :jump:
could you post your menu plan when you're done with it? I'm working on my next four week cycle right now and need some ideas