Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #21
mommypooh
Registered Users

Re: Does your baby sleep on back or belly?

Well My mom had 2 kids much younger than me and one was back sleeping and one was tummy sleeping, my mom always worried about it and such but after they were a little older she realized they both slept better on their tummies. So when I had my kids I just followed their lead if they wern't sleeping well on their back I would flip them over and see if tummy sleeping helped and 9 times out of 10 it did. I say you do what works for you. Even more so if you are co sleeping.

Advertisement

mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #22
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

I haven't read all responses, but I will say this: the AAP keeps changing the correct sleeping position because they're trying to eradicate SIDS. Personally, I don't think SIDS has anything to do with sleeping position (well, most of the time), but about other environmental factors.

If a baby has any head control at all, they can turn when they can't breathe. I know when Hannah first started bfing and my boob would cover her nose (I was new at it too), she would be able to wrench herself back really far and turn her head, even as a newborn. It's not that easy for a baby to suffocate.

With that said, she always goes to sleep with my boob in her mouth (the ONLY way she'll ever sleep!) so she's always on her side. Sometimes she'll flop to her back, but usually we are tummy to tummy.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #23
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
I haven't read all responses, but I will say this: the AAP keeps changing the correct sleeping position because they're trying to eradicate SIDS. Personally, I don't think SIDS has anything to do with sleeping position (well, most of the time), but about other environmental factors.

If a baby has any head control at all, they can turn when they can't breathe. I know when Hannah first started bfing and my boob would cover her nose (I was new at it too), she would be able to wrench herself back really far and turn her head, even as a newborn. It's not that easy for a baby to suffocate.

With that said, she always goes to sleep with my boob in her mouth (the ONLY way she'll ever sleep!) so she's always on her side. Sometimes she'll flop to her back, but usually we are tummy to tummy.
Same with us!

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:36 AM   #24
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

We are exactly the same way. Although I sometimes move him to his bed ( right beside mine) while he is sleeping so that I can stretch out for a bit.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #25
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When he could roll both ways, I stopped repositioning him to his back. Prior to that I would roll him back over onto his back.
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #26
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I always put Emilee to sleep on her back, but ever since she was born she would roll to her side. Now that she's almost 5 months old she rolls to her belly a lot. I'm a paranoid mommy though and I always roll her back onto her back while praying she doesn't wake up. The highest sids rate is between 4 and 6 months so I figure I'll do as much as I can to prevent it especially during the peak age. With my first daughter I co-slept and by the time she was sleeping on her own she rolled around as she pleased.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #27
itsmelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS sleeps on his tummy all the time. We stayed with my parents for about a month after hurricane rita. DS was about 3 weeks old when we got there. He was the most content little baby until it was time to go to sleep. THEN my mom put him down and he stayed asleep. I went to see what was up and saw that he was on his tummy, sleeping contentedly. I worried about it at first then just stopped worrying and enjoyed his sleeping. He still is a tummy sleeper.
itsmelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #28
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Well, my baby is 15 months old, so I don't know if my answer will count. He mostly sleeps on his back, but if he does sleep on his belly, he does sleep better. My first child was a tummy sleeper from birth!
Old 06-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #29
Jodi
Registered Users

Well, they're 3 & 6 now, but Adin was a side sleeper (our compromise) and Nora needed to sleep on her back. Neither of them could sleep more than 20 minutes on their backs unless it was draped over my arm in bed, and Nora had reflux so I could see it really hurt her to be that stretched out. I had to do what felt right, and even the doctor agreed after I tried off & on for 3 months.

Sometimes I wonder if the reason less babies die of SIDS on their backs is that they never get a deep, restful night's sleep. I think a lot of our kids never get enough rest. They end up on Ritalin, a stimulant, which helps them to focus--sort of like a strong cup of coffee does for me when Nora wakes 4 times during the night! Just a crackpot theory, I know, but it seems like something else is going on with SIDS besides front sleeping. Maybe our kids will have completely different advice when they're pregnant with our grandkids.
Jodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #30
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mine has slept however he wanted which a lot of the time is his belly. he could hold his head up at birth and not crawl, but could hold himself up on his arms and use his legs to get around from birth (honestly!!!! i have a video of it at 2 or 3 days old!!!) and so i never worried about it since he was quite capable of getting around on his own and would move if anything was near his face other than a boob
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote