Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #31
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does your baby sleep on back or belly?

DS is/was a belly sleeper. From pretty early on. I tried putting him on his back and he just could NOT sleep on his back. He didnt do well with swaddling either. Then at maybe 10 or 11 months he just started sleeping on his back. (he was co-sleeping where he hadnt ever co-slept before) Now at 4 he sleeps wherever he gets comfy LOL

DD slept on her back (swaddled!) until she was able to roll over on her own. Then I always put her down on her back, but she rolled over most of the time. At almost 2 she sleeps however she gets comfy too.

Advertisement

Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #32
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both mine were belly sleeps, they don't like sleeping on their backs.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:44 PM   #33
thefragile7393
Registered Users

Belly since he was 2 weeks old. We started out on back, but he finally let us know in no uncertain terms that he hated it. We tried both sides....with and without a sleep positioner. Forget it.

I truely truely feel there is more to SIDS than just putting a baby on it's back (which is an unnatural position....they naturally prefer the fetal position). Even the wonderful "What to Expect the First Year" says that baby dosn't know what's best for it when it comes to this. Well, my son told me in no uncertain terms that he did know what's best. We don't smoke and we co-sleep, which can be some SIDS reduction factors right there. Also, I personally know of a baby who died of SIDS while on it's back (hence the wording "Putting an infant to sleep on it's back REDUCES the risk of SIDS").

It came down to forcing my son to sleep that way and get up tons of times at night and have little sleep....and I was a ripe candidate for PPD and this definitely would have tipped me over, or allow him to sleep how he wanted, monitor his breathing, and have at least enough sleep to make me functional.

Last edited by thefragile7393; 06-08-2006 at 11:47 PM.
thefragile7393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #34
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Noah sleeps on his side, and as of late he has liked sleeping on his back more often. DD and DS were belly sleepers. They were just more comfy that way and we all got some sleep. Did I worry? Yes, but I had to trust my Mommy instinct and do what I felt was best for them.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote