Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
findingstrength
Registered Users

home birth moms

I'd like any ideas you have on coping/natural pain control. This is my first home birth and I have say part of my concern is I won't be able to deal well with the pain.

I'm working on being positive, we have a labor ball, and we are getting a birth pool. I have a doula.

Advertisement

Mom/stepmom to 8 beautiful children 16 yr old girl, 12 yr old girl, 9 yr old boy, another 9 yr old boy, 8 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl, 4 year old boy, 1 year old boy, expecting #9 in July!

ISO: size 3x maternity swimsuit
findingstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: home birth moms

I pretend that I am not in labor until I can't do that anymore. I lie down, walk around, go for a walk, eat, make a cake, vacuum, and when I can't do those things anymore I get in the labor/birth pool and have baby soon after. I don't time contraxs and I turn the clocks around so I am not focusing on the time.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my midwife was a big help always reassuring me through the entire pregnancy and even in labor. I opted out of having any classes or hypno birth or any of that kind of stuff I knew I was the kind that all that would go out the window when I was in real pain. I think being in the water helped a lot. Although I did not deliver in the water. My midwife always told me an this was true the pain pretty much doesn't get that much worse during labor it just gets closer together. which for me was true. I just kept that in mind and it seemed to help.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my last baby with no pain meds. We went to the hospital but they sent me home at 8pm since I wasn't dilating. I don't dilate until the very end. But I was in WAY active labor at 11pm. I forced myself to lay down, scream into a pillow, get through each contraction. I layed down on the couch and I was SO exhausted that I literally slept between each one (even if it was just a few minutes). Of course I waited too long.. doing the 'scream into the pillow' thing.. and I was pushing in the car.

Since I have done it before, I know I can do it again. I'm EXCITED this time, though, because I'm doing a home birth. This time I can relax, sleep in my own bed, be in the warm pool.. and let myself relax. I don't have to focus on timing contractions and waiting to leave. I think that will make a big difference!!
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did HypnoBabies and am doing it again this time. I can't recommend it enough.

If you like yoga, you can also use yoga poses and breathing to help you.

We also have a birth pool and my midwife and her apprentices do various kinds of comfort measures, like hip and back counterpressure, a rice sock on the back or belly, etc.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
I pretend that I am not in labor until I can't do that anymore. I lie down, walk around, go for a walk, eat, make a cake, vacuum, and when I can't do those things anymore I get in the labor/birth pool and have baby soon after. I don't time contraxs and I turn the clocks around so I am not focusing on the time.
I agree with this!!!!

I personally found my pain to be worse in the hospital than at home. And a lot of that was caused by fear of the unknown (it was my 1st LO), and being in an unfamiliar place, with total strangers.

In the hospital, my experience was that once you are admitted, you have NOTHING (literally!) to do besides sit and wait, concentrate on feeling the contractions, and check the clock constantly. There's nothing else going on. Everything around you reminds you that you are in labor, and that everyone is waiting on you, your body, and your baby to finish up the job that it's started. The nurses keep checking on you, the OBs want to check to see if you are dialting, etc. IMO, that is a lot of pressure to put on a laboring woman, and it adds undue stress, and it also makes the pain worse.

When I was at home, I moved around where I wanted to. I pretended I wasn't in labor until there was no denying it. I walked and piddled around washing dishes, playing with my DD, sleeping, folding laundry, watching TV, cleaning, etc. Although I knew in the back of my brain that labor had started, there was no pressure to hurry up. No one was checking on me constantly to see my progress. I could go about my day as usual, and just knew in the back of my mind that I would meet my baby soon. I didn't need to focus on the contractions b/c I had other things to do and think about.

Besides that, I highly HIGHLY recommend a birthing tub. The greatest pain releif for the most painful part of labor was in the warm water. It is AMAZING the difference between laboring on land and laboring in water during that final stage.

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Oh, and I wanted to add, something that helped me get through my last two labors, was to constantly remind myself of a few things... I would just say these things over and over to myself in the worst parts of labor....

"Women all over the earth have been doing this with no medication for eons of time. YOU are no different. If they can do it, so can you."

"Pain - by itself - will NOT kill you. It hurts, but you are NOT dying, and you are not in danger. It's just pain. That's all it is. Don't make it more than it is. Don't try to change it, don't give it power over you, just accept it. It's just pain. It's not scary."

(I don't know why that is reassuring to me in labor - maybe b/c I normally equate pain to something being wrong? lol I dunno but I remember saying that over and over in my head for my last birth and it made me feel way more controlled.)

"This is temporary. It's not going to last forever. It's going to be over soon. You're almost there. Not much longer."
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I agree with this!!!!

I personally found my pain to be worse in the hospital than at home. And a lot of that was caused by fear of the unknown (it was my 1st LO), and being in an unfamiliar place, with total strangers.

In the hospital, my experience was that once you are admitted, you have NOTHING (literally!) to do besides sit and wait, concentrate on feeling the contractions, and check the clock constantly. There's nothing else going on. Everything around you reminds you that you are in labor, and that everyone is waiting on you, your body, and your baby to finish up the job that it's started. The nurses keep checking on you, the OBs want to check to see if you are dialting, etc. IMO, that is a lot of pressure to put on a laboring woman, and it adds undue stress, and it also makes the pain worse.

When I was at home, I moved around where I wanted to. I pretended I wasn't in labor until there was no denying it. I walked and piddled around washing dishes, playing with my DD, sleeping, folding laundry, watching TV, cleaning, etc. Although I knew in the back of my brain that labor had started, there was no pressure to hurry up. No one was checking on me constantly to see my progress. I could go about my day as usual, and just knew in the back of my mind that I would meet my baby soon. I didn't need to focus on the contractions b/c I had other things to do and think about.

Besides that, I highly HIGHLY recommend a birthing tub. The greatest pain releif for the most painful part of labor was in the warm water. It is AMAZING the difference between laboring on land and laboring in water during that final stage.

ITA!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Oh, and I wanted to add, something that helped me get through my last two labors, was to constantly remind myself of a few things... I would just say these things over and over to myself in the worst parts of labor....

"Women all over the earth have been doing this with no medication for eons of time. YOU are no different. If they can do it, so can you."
I say this too.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Read Birthing From Within! It'll give you some great ideas and help you think through things. I had my first baby at a hospital and let me tell you labor is so much easier at home! I think a lot of it is that you can move around and be where you want to be. Lay on your side and relax, walk around, sway, distract yourself, focus, take a shower... whatever feels right. I knew that when I started to feel like "Oh ****, I can't do this!" that meant everything is happening just like it should and I would have my baby in my arms very soon. I actually enjoyed labor with my homebirth. Delivery was not easy the entire time, but by far my best and right afterward I felt like I could do it again.